Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 1:44:53 PM EDT
So far I collected all documents except a proof of marksmanship activity.  For now, my only option was to get a marksmanship certification signed by my local DNR range officer.

Since weather was nice today, I took a half day off and went to the range.  When I asked about the certification, a range officer who is said to be a NRA firearm instructor came to me.  

As soon as this officer sees CMP's certification document, he is looking at me suspiciously...  He insists I'm supposed to participate in rifle competition.  I explained that now CMP has several different ways to check the purchaser's marksmanship.  Well, before I finish explaining this, his face turns dark solid and told me he won't sign it.  Then I asked him to read the top portion of CMP document explaining what the document is about.  He refused even looking at it and told me that document could be made by me.  I was quite offended by his comments.  I realize I couldn't do anything more at that point.

I guess waiting for my C&R license is the only way to go...

Oh, after that, I did shoot my AR15 for a while before I left.  At least shooting made me a little happier.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
or a CCW permit will do.
I sent a copy of the following:
DL
Passport
CMP club membership card
CCW permit
Just waiting for the gun now
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:05:55 AM EDT
[#2]
You could also join the Garand Collector's Association, and they notify the CMP of your membership status for you.  It really sucks that that guy was like that.  I'd make sure to mention it to the management at that range and maybe the CMP.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Being too damn lazy to find my DD214, and having my CCW in my wallet, I used that instead.

As said above, there are numerous ways to fulfill your requirements, iirc they are listed on their website.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Why does the DNR range always seem to be run by a dick, no matter where you go?
I hope you get it all sorted out man.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Which range did you go to?  If it was the one in Brighton, they are tightwads because it was shut down by all the yuppies that moved close to it after it was already there.  It opened again last year but they are very cautious, etc because they are scared of the yuppies
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I sure hear a lot of stories about range nazi's on this board. I'm thankful that those types hang-out over at the clays ranges and leave the rifle and pistol shooters alone. I hate dickheads like that...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#7]
He was covering damn it. I used to do that too before I could read. He was probably too embarrased to tell you.

Anyway....

I am not advocating a consiracy here but you do know that you might get some one else to sign off on the "prooof of marksmanship activity" form.

JR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top