Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 12:18:32 PM EDT
Looking for under $1000 shipped.  Before I go into EE or anywhere else what should I look out for?

Mostly target shooting; although I hear that scopes are a bit awkward on it, I suppose there is some type of ideal setup.  Any other recommendations?  I 'search'ed thru and saw the posts on the FAL and stuff.

My understanding of the .308 round is that it is very accurate and powerful.  The 30-06 Interarms I shot recently was just too much, 30 rounds in one sitting was the limit for me (my head anyway ; shoulder was less hurt than I thought it would be )

After having my M1 Carbine I just like the look, the wood and the sights; figure I would get a big brother to it.

Or should I just go with a Rem700 of some type?

thanks,
dan

edit:  great  .  I just found a thread about a RRA AR10 to be introduced at SHOT 2006.  So many choices
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#1]
check the EE!!

junk

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
In the past I have owned and sold an SAI M1A1 Loaded, An Armalite AR10A4 and an Imbel FAL.

All were reliable.

The M1A1 and AR10A4 were very accurate.

I decided I missed my 7.62 NATO semi so I bought a SAI STD M1A1 and ordered a SAI Scout.  I don't know why I'm back to the M1A1, but I'm happy to be back.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't pass up one with a composite stock. They usually fit tighter (better accuracy) and you can always pic up a nice wood stock from Fred's for under a $100.00. Scope mounts are all right, you just have to get a decent one. I have an A.R.M.S. #18 on mine and it works great. Need a cheek piece though. The stocks were designed for the iron sights. Good luck
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#4]
What companies should I look out for?  Avoid?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I avoid Armscor, Federal Ord, National Ord, and other no-name brands.

I like older Springfields, Devine, Polytechs or Norincos that have had everything but the receiver replaced, and Fultons.  I've heard about someone else, but I don't know about them yet.

Honestly, at least up to a few years ago, the Polytech and Norinco receivers were the best receivers out there, but everything else on that rifle besides the receiver is utter crap.  There are some other players in the new receiver game besides Springfield these days, and that helps a bit.

USGI parts are preferable to non-USGI in almost every instance.  They're harder to find, but my "pre-ban" Springfield is all USGI outside of the receiver and I managed to squirrel away some spares, so I'm pretty OK in the department.

Newer Springfields have a lot of cast knock-off parts that are somewhat out of spec, but they do have a great warranty.  Your mileage may vary.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top