Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 11:53:58 PM EDT
Alright boys and girls, here's my sob story, such as it is.

It took me four and a half months of saving up, but I ordered an M1A SOCOM 16 on the 29th of November.  The FFL that got me the deal ($1,500.00 +tax was the best I could find locally) was an hour away, but a deal's a deal, so I went for it knowing that they were backordered.  Likely for "several weeks".  After Christmas, the shop called me up to let me know that they had, sitting in their shop, a brand-spanking-new SOCOM II.

I paused and mentally scratched my head.  But I ordered a regular SOCOM, Brett thought to himself.  When I vocalized my confusion, the friendly and somewhat apologetic clerk on the end of the line informed me that it would cost an additional $200.00 to "upgrade" to the SOCOM II.  But I ordered a regular SOCOM, thought Brett to himself.  Explaining politely that I would simply continue to wait for the rifle that I *actually ordered*, as the SOCOM II cost more for featuers that I neither wanted nor needed and destroyed the balance of a lovely rifle.  The clerk apologized again, said I'd have to keep waiting, and hung up.

So I kept waiting.

During a round of various errands down in the valley, on a whim, I swung by the store again to get the skinny on my as-yet-unarrived Springfield.  The shop's owner himself smiled and graciously informed me that he'd finally gotten confirmation that the rifle had shipped and would be in the shop within a handful of days.  Very pleased, I requested a handful of spare magazines to get ready for the rifle's arrival.  They had none, but ensured me that they would order some and that they would likely arrive "before the rifle".  Placated, I took off.

The day finally came that the rifle was said to be in, so I called the store to make certain that it was, in fact, physically present.  It was!  Huzzah!  I put together my merry band of cohorts and sallied forth into the valley to collect my long-overdue firearm.  We arrived (oddly enough, exactly as my truck's odometer ticked over to 81,000 miles precisely) with a spring in our collective step and visions of sugarplumbs dancing in our heads.  Yes, the rifle was there!  I saw it, picked it up still in its protective plastic wrap, held it, finished the remaining paperwork, put it back into the box--

--And was told I'd have to wait an additional three days before I could take it home, because the waiting period hadn't kicked in on the day I'd ordered the rifle.  I don't know why.  That's just how it apparently was.  Glumly, I handed the rifle back over to the still-apologetic employees.  I then asked if I could buy the extra magazines that I'd been assured would be in "before the rifle".  None existed.  I left emptyhanded and mildly depressed.

Then, Tuesday came.  The appointed hour.  The time of destiny.  The day the Springfield would become mine in fact as well as in name.  I arrived at the store somewhat jaded, but still upbeat.  No, the rifle hadn't been sold accidentally to someone else.  No, they hadn't lost it.  Yes, I could actually take it home today.  Finishing the very last of the paperwork, we removed the rifle from its carboard packing crate and plastic sleeve, admiring its lines--

--and then noticing that it was missing the elevation adjustment knob.

Son.  Of.  A.  Bitch.

So, back into the packaging the SOCOM went, and all the way back to Illinois it is destined to go.  Turnaround time will likely be weeks, which isn't in and of itself *bad*, it's just that when combined with all of the energy, time, money, and emotional investments I've made in this project to date...  Well, suffice it to say that I'm not a particularly happy camper.

I've been treated so well by Springfield Armory Inc. in the past that I'm confident that the weapon will be delivered in full working condition free of charge--and I don't even have to pay shipping this time, either--but the situation is just ridiculous.  It's taken the better part of four and a half months of careful saving, nearly two months of waiting, close to $1,700.00 of hard-earned money on the firearm itself, and who knows how much gas money to get to this point:  An incomplete product.

Somone, somewhere dropped the ball.  Either the rifle wasn't fully assembled when it left the factory, or it was damaged in transit (which appears possible due to some suspicious dents and tears in the shipping crate), or someone *reallY* decided they needed my rifle's elevation adjustment knob after it'd arrived.  None of the aforementioned scenarios really pleases me, to say the least.

I don't know...  Not much of a real *point* to this post other than to update everyone as to where I stand with my first adventure into M1A-ownership.  And that amounts to just slightly more than bupkiss, as all I have are some receipts and a cable-lock.

*sigh*
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:00:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck on your SOCOM16. I hope you have better luck than me.
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=415304
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:54:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have just called Springfield and asked them to send an elevation knob.  Would have saved you the trouble and wait of shipping the rifle to and from the factory.  They've done it for me in the past with small parts under their warranty.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:26:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would have just called Springfield and asked them to send an elevation knob.  Would have saved you the trouble and wait of shipping the rifle to and from the factory.  They've done it for me in the past with small parts under their warranty.  

Ya! What Deuce01 said!  I can't believie I read the whole thing

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:17:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Should have just gone to the internet and ordered it from Gilberts or some other site. Could have had it in a weeks time without sales tax and at a lower price.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#5]
That was a thoughtful and well written post. There is someone else who thinks like me (shudder). Not to worry, when its all over and you've had time to play with it you willl forget about all this. I ordered a Browning BPS Stalker, 10 gauge pump from our local Ace Hardware back in the days when they still sold firearms. It was supposed to be no more than 3 months for delivery but wound up being a year and a month. Once I had it, all anxiety was gone. You're going to like the SOCOM 16. I certainly like mine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya! What Deuce01 said!  I can't believie I read the whole thing

Oh my god.

What a "saga". It's right up the with the biggies.

sa·ga
1.     A prose narrative of a hero or a family usually written in Iceland between 1120 and 1400, dealing with the families that first settled Iceland and their descendants, with the histories of the kings of Norway, and with the myths and legends of early Germanic gods and heroes.

2.  A modern prose narrative that resembles a saga.

It could only be better if it involved a "Beowulf" upper and less "sallying forth" with the merry band of cohorts".

You may be developing a SO-COMplex.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow. That is some story. $1700 later and you haven't fired a round yet. Not even a set of magazines. Kind of like dating a devoutly Christian prom queen.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, no elevation knob? Methinks someone in the shop has sticky fingers. It's not like this is a teensy tiny part or anything. I'd get my money back, go to the M14 site and buy one from someone on their PX. I just bought a NM from someone and it is one hell of a sweet rifle. Hell, there is a Socom in a shop about 30 miles away with about 20 rounds thru it for under 1200.00
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How in the heck could someone only put 20 rounds through any gun?

I used to say  the same thing when I was younger and could not believe it.  Now I do.  I just bought a Sig P239 used from the EE, fired two mags to test it, realized why I sold my P220 years ago and put it up for sale the next day.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How in the heck could someone only put 20 rounds through any gun?

Guy just did not like the blast. I can understand that especially if he was not wearing plugs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I woulda just taken the rifle home and dealt with Springfield myself. Cut out the dealer, who by the sound of it, needs to use the profit from your rifle to buy a clue.

Same with the mags, a gunshop isn't gonna get better deals on USGI mags from the relatively few sources out there,they're gonna order from the same people for the same price we can and just mark them up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I had initially wanted--rather badly, actually--to just take the rifle home and order the replacement part(s) my own self, but the dealer's paying shipping this way, and they were very polite and understanding about the whole fiasco, so I let them do it their way.  Time will tell if I regret it, I suppose.

That said, I totally agree with whomever it was that suggested I cut out the middleman for the mags and ammo.  I was absolutely amazed that a large, successful FFL could simply *run out* of 7.62mm NATO, what with it being damn near ubiquitous.  And the magazine thing I'm not losing sleep over either, since I don't have the rifle.  I figure I can find both at better prices shipped straight to my home.

It's just that I had a lot invested in the rifle in terms of energy, time, and whatnot.  It was as though the SOCOM had come to represent my hope in the future--that there was a light at the end of the tunnel.  I've been going through a lot of thoroughly disagreeable things in my life as of late (helluva way to start of the new year), and this was the big payoff that I was waiting for.  Bills piling up?  Work losing its appearl?  Girl not calling back?  Hey, at least I've got a SOCOM on the way.  I've always got that, at least.

But the light at the end of the tunnel was apparently an oncoming train, you see.

SO-COMplex...  I like that.  Had I the option of adding a signature, I think that'd be it.

"This post brought to you by Brett Bass, who has a SO-COMplex."
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You may be developing a SO-COMplex.

With my compliments if you stop calling it a "saga".

JR

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Better?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top