Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 6:00:23 PM EDT

That is the question.

What do you guys think?  I want to convert my Garand to 7.62, and Warbird's tanker conversions have a decent reputation (from what little I've heard).  Should I go for it, or stick with full-length rifle?  The shorter rifle would suit my needs better, as long as it works.

Any specific problems with T26 conversions in general?  Anything that can't be addressed adequately with one of those "Schuster" plugs?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
A couple of things to keep in mind if converting your M1 to a Tanker configuration.

One, your rifle will lose any collector value it has. You may also have a hard time getting out of it what you have in it, if you do decide to ever sell it.

Second, several of the parts that are "modified" in order to be a Tanker are bastards. Depending on if you ever need to replace them they can be hard to find. You may also have trouble if the outfit that did the conversion later quits or goes out of business. Op rod, barrel, front handguard will all be bastards after the conversion.

Also, the muzzle blast is horrific from those short barreled M1's.

Just some thoughts to consider.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:16:58 AM EDT
[#2]
For the kind of money you will have in it, just get an M1A Bush Rifle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks for the advice guys.   My Garand has little to no collector value as it is anyway.  It's a pieced together rifle that originally started from a shot out import I bought for about $200 15 yrs ago.  Aftermarket barrel, Fulton "GI" type stock, etc.

Warbird's Custom Guns has a good reputation with "T26" conversions, so nobody has had anything bad to say about them that I've heard so far.  Seems the problems arise from improper bending of op rods, so if the guy knows how to do that, it should run fine.

I'm planning to keep all the original parts in case I decide to go back to a full size .30-06.  The "tanker" will be sort of a "truck gun" with Bell & Carlson stock and maybe/probably one of these mounts with a "scout" scope -

http://www.amegaranges.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/SID=1136482106.13439/page=miniM1.html

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had an LRB M-14 built by Warbird, and am currently patiently waiting for two M1s that he has been working on.  I sent him a CMP Greek Service Grade and a USGI Field Grade, along with a Fajen green laminated stock and NM front & rear sights.  He took the best barrel and the best parts from both rifles and built a NM rifle, which was bedded in the Fajen stock, and then built up the other into an As-issued/JCG gun.  Both rifles got complete re-park jobs and trigger work as appropriate for their respective purposes.

Hurry, FedEx man, hurry!

Pics will be posted across the street @ m-14forum when they arrive.  Check out his voluminous positive feedback here:

Warbird's feedback

I would not hesitate to have Warbird do a T-26 "Tanker" for me - except that I already have one!  When it's ready to be re-barelled to 7.62, Warbird will do the work.

His prices are very fair and his work is excellent, just understand that he's a one-man show - don't get impatient or bug him too much, and it will be worth the wait.  Also, to make things go more smoothly - follow his shipping instructions to the letter.  I flubbed a bit on my end and suffered a needless delay.

flcracker
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Thanks for the input, flcracker.  I've already decided to gradually shoot up my remaining '06 ammo and then send it off to Tim for the 7.62 T26 conversion.  

Seems kind of a shame to chop a Garand like that, but having it sit there in the safe gathering dust is a bigger shame, and I'm positive I'll put a lot more ammo downrange with it after the conversion.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Field grade M1s from CMP are the best bargain going if you're going to re-barrel it anyway.  I'm a huge fan of the Schuster's adjustable gas plug.

Here's a pic of my Federal Ordnance T-26 "Tanker" - it took some tinkering to get the timing right, and a new op-rod from Smith Enterprises a couple of years ago, but now it's the way I've been wanting it.  The AmegaRanges Scout mount with the Burris Scout scope in ARMS QD rings is the way to go, and the Smith Ent muzzle brake is awesome!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/flcracker/Jan2506005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/flcracker/Jan2506002.jpg

flcracker
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Very NICE!!!

That is almost exactly the way I want to set mine up, except with a Bell & Carlson stock and (someday) a Smith vortex.

Does that brake increase the noise/blast quite a bit from the shooters perspective?  I've been debating whether to go with a Smith brake or one of the short versions of the BM59 tricomp from Reese Surplus.  The BM59 brake is long enough that I figured if it is too obnoxious, a little cutting and grinding could turn it into a more conventional flash-suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#9]
This will get a Bell & Carlson stock when it gets re-barrelled, but that's several hundred pounds of wild hawg down the road from here!

The Smith Brake is a dream to shoot - back on target almost instantly.  Acts as a quite effective flash supressor, too.  Maybe a bit louder, but nothing I notice.

I don't think Smith makes a Vortex for the M1 anymore.  I never though to ask Ron when I talked to him, because I was after the brake to begin with.

flcracker
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#10]
flcracker, how is that scout mount/scope combo ? I've been thinking about the amega mount  for my tanker. I have not seen one personally.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]

On the Amega mount - I have a friend that has one on his full-size Garand, with a Burris scout scope, and he loves it.  He's pretty hard on his equipment.  I know he told me he left the scout scope in a 5 gal bucket of water overnight to see if it would leak, and he dropped the rifle on the mounted scope (in rocky West Texas "dirt") to see if it would break.  1000+ rds later, it's still ticking.

flcracker - Smith doesn't make the vortex for a Garand any more, but I talked to Ron a couple of weeks ago and he sounded like it was in the future, just not sure if it would be a month or a year since they are so busy filling military orders for other stuff.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
For the kind of money you will have in it, just get an M1A Bush Rifle.

That's where I shoulda gone.

IF you like the balance of the full length Garand, you will not be thrilled with a Tanker.

I bought a "donor" had it tankered, sold it and bought an NM 308 M1.

I had it mounted in a laminate stock.

Other than 2 AR's it's the only open sight long gun I own...OK a Benelli 121M and a Marlin in 357 but that'z it.

I may give that scout rail a try...maybe even a Red Dot.

Pete
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the full length .308 Garand. Warbird put mine together a year or so ago. It went to the range with me yesterday and I got my ear bent by a couple of older gents. I enjoyed it a lot.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#14]
The only negative with the AmegaRanges Scout Mount is that you can't use the iron sights when you have a scope mounted.  Other than that, it's rock solid.

The beauty of it is, thanks to geezers like my uncle, we can have one of each -  bushy and DMR.

Saaah--loot! to all vets - recent or old history.

flcracker
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top