Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 3:39:17 PM EDT
Got back from Iraq a couple weeks ago on leave and checked out the ol gun store. This walnut SA M1A really stuck out on the rack. The stock had nice marbeling in the wood, better wood on it than most M1As I've seen. SO, I pick it up and immediately notice a NM front sight and a crisp trigger pull of about 3,1/4-4lbs, clean lines, no rattle and the wood matched up nice to the receiver. I'm thinking its a loaded model, but the owner swore it was a STD model.

So I said, "what the hell" and took it out the door for $1400 with a $30 USGI mag packed in cosmoline. It might be a factory screw STD model, but it has NM sights, trigger, and beautiful wood and I got to inspect it before purchase, something worth an extra $100 to me.

I'll get a pic posted soon, but has anyone heard of STD models coming with NM sights, triggers, and beautiful wood?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I replied to you across the street.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Can someone please IM me so I can read across the street too    ??

Sounds like a nice rifle Gargoyle
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can someone please IM me so I can read across the street too    ??

Sounds like a nice rifle Gargoyle

IM sent.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
SA is running out of USGI parts and using what they have on hand (NM front, small peep blade type rear non NM 1 MOA rear).
Note: if you want a true AMU rear NM sight, M1grandrifles.com sells the 1/2 MOA knob with the needed detent and spring for $30. And, the 1/2 MOA hooded apeture for #39.95

If you check the trigger pull, chances are although it feels nice, it is breaking higher than 4.5 LBS. SA produces there own FCG groups/parts and when they are put together, the do get a quick tweak to make sure they are working correctly

As for the stock, is this a USGI stock (selector cut out) or a standard type 1 Boyd produced stock. Lucking out and getting on that on the nice looking side is sweet, but not really out of the norm.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
It has the Boyd type stock then.  A little fuller and no cut out.  Damn the wood looks good.  I'll have to get the trigger on a scale, but it isn't too disimilar to some of my 3.5-4 lbs triggers.  Thanks guys, have to go across the street!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]
nice gun.  tag for pics  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Enjoy it.  I love mine.

Max
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Here she is!

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Great looking wood, and I see they solved the over sanding on the receiver heel/stock problem.

When you get a chance, rub another coat of BLO into it to really get the grain to show/protect the stock even more.

Tung oil will bring out the grain better, I just did my SA M1A and a tommy gun stock. Only on the first coat so 50/50 mix with mineral spirits. Tung was the correct treatment for the M-14 and does not tack or draw as much if heated. It's a slow process but well worth it. Don't use the stuff like Minwax or Fornsby as it's mostly varnish. I just ordered and got some from the Milk Paint Co. Stupid name but it is pure tung oil with no additives.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top