Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 7:49:36 PM EDT
I'm currently looking for a good semi auto rifle in 5.56 and found that the mini-14 ranch rifle fits this bill nicely. So can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this seemingly great gun?.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
They are FUN to shoot but not very accurate. Depends on whether you are accuracy minded or just like shooting alot of ammo at old cars, propane tanks, washing machines and things such as that.
Nothing wrong with that, but if you like to shoot from a bench or scoping the rifle you will most likely be disapointed.
TS
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
it is one f'ugly rifle. no no no no.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They are FUN to shoot but not very accurate. Depends on whether you are accuracy minded or just like shooting alot of ammo at old cars, propane tanks, washing machines and things such as that.
Nothing wrong with that, but if you like to shoot from a bench or scoping the rifle you will most likely be disapointed.
TS

+1  Fun plinker, but rifles built on Fridays and Mondays are innaccurate.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok so just how bad is the accuracy at 100yds?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#5]
i will never sell mine. It's a GB model.

It's a fun plinker. not top if the line accuracy though..

the biggest drawback is magazines. aftermarket mags are shit. and factory mags are only made in 20 rounders now. they go abotu $30 a pop.

I'd get an AR first, then a mini when funds permit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah but I can get a mini from walmart for $517
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
On the mini, you want factory mags or if you want aftermarket ones, you want PMI brand mags only.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:32:10 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want .223 and ugly, IMO get the Armalite AR180.  At least it is accurate and functional.  Save another $200 and you will be into to about any AR you want if shop around, you will make it back by the time you by 10-20 mags.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:35:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Personally, I would not pay that for a Mini 14. Maybe if I found one used in pretty decent shape in the $250-$300 range, maybe.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Pay the extra $400 dollars to build a good quality AR.
Is the frustration of owning a Mini 14 worth 400 dollars to you?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#12]
If you like wood and the look of a scaled down M14 buy the Mini 14.  Heed the advice given about the mags.  Knowing now what I expect my rifles to do, I would save up the extra money and buy an AR15.  Do you have an AR15?  Have you ever fired one?

I once bought an SKS because I had some extra money.  I shot the SKS and found it inaccurate.  I sold the SKS and bought a Mini 30.  Now that was more like it  I sold the Mini 30 and bought an AR15  It was more accurate then the rest.  Good working mags were easier to find then the rest.  More accessories were/are available for the AR platform than the rest.  In the end it is more valuable than the rest.

If you like the Mini 14 buy one.  But I want you to know what you're getting into.  A friend of mine has a stainless one in a drop dead gorgeous tiger striped stock.  It's really neat and fun to shoot but it's just not as accurate or easy to clean as an AR15.  

Get what you want, even if you have to wait a bit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The A Team never hit anyone with theirs either.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had several - the best of mine would "pattern" about 8 inches at 100 yards, off a sand bag, with a scope and good ammo.  Just about ANY AR will blow that away.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#15]
PROS:
- slightly less expensive than an AR
- more politically-correct than an AR (admittedly, some will not see this as a "PRO" )
- legal in a few places ARs are not (I believe this is the case - the AWB-state foks can correct me if not)

CONS:
- less accurate (generally) than an AR
- less versatile (configurations, accessories, etc) than an AR
- magazine cost/availability/reliability

There are more that could be added to either list, but these are the main ones IMHO that usually dictate the buy/no-buy choice for most people.  

FWIW, I have had a few Minis come through my hands over the years, currently have one that I kept but rarely shoot - in contrast, I have 2-dozen ARs in various calibers and configurations & shoot them more than any of my other firearms.  YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I would advise against buying a Mini unless you got a great deal on it.

With good SKS carbines so cheap, not to mention ammo, why bother?

.....because it's not in 5.56 as requested.

I know you're looking for a truck, but i've got this really cool tricycle......lol...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd sooner buy a used AR than a new Mini 14. You can build an AR for just over $500 pretty easy if you shop around a bit and buy a few used parts.

The only reason I would buy the mini before the ar is stated above, the mini is less "assault weapon" looking and is less likely to draw attention. This, however, is not a necessary consideration for me so I'll continue to use an AR.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If you appreciate the privilege of paying twice what a rifle is worth, by all means.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#20]
If I found one on the side of the road I'd take it.  But only to put it in the middle of the road and drive over it.

Don't do it.  Save your money for an AR.  You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
PROS:
- slightly less expensive than an AR
- more politically-correct than an AR (admittedly, some will not see this as a "PRO" )
- legal in a few places ARs are not (I believe this is the case - the AWB-state foks can correct me if not)

CONS:
- less accurate (generally) than an AR
- less versatile (configurations, accessories, etc) than an AR
- magazine cost/availability/reliability

There are more that could be added to either list, but these are the main ones IMHO that usually dictate the buy/no-buy choice for most people.  

FWIW, I have had a few Minis come through my hands over the years, currently have one that I kept but rarely shoot - in contrast, I have 2-dozen ARs in various calibers and configurations & shoot them more than any of my other firearms.  YMMV, of course.

One more CON

Mini's are a PAIN in the ASS to clean.  You can clean reassemble reshoot and reclean an AR in the time it takes to clean a mini.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

One more CON

Mini's are a PAIN in the ASS to clean.  You can clean reassemble reshoot and reclean an AR in the time it takes to clean a mini.  

I'd also venture to guess that mini's will go longer without failing due to crap in the action.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The A Team never hit anyone with theirs either.

I don't remember them hitting anyone with there ARs  or M60 in the first season either.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#25]
How often do you shoot that mini that rides around in the truck / boat ?

Be honest.

If you've only fired a 1000 rounds or less through it in 7 or 8 years, (which a lot of folks do) ... maybe not a valid case of reliablity in my opinion.
I have had an AR go 1000 rds with no failures in one weekend.  So quantity of rounds in the time frame is important.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:35:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I don't remember them hitting anyone with there ARs  or M60 in the first season either.

True. But their weapon of choice and the ones they used most often were Mini 14's.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Buy a stripped lower and build your own, you'll save money in the long run and have an accurate and fun weapon when you're through. Plus, resale value of the AR will in all probabability be much higher should you decide you want to get something else, like a FAL or M1A. In my mind, it's easier to unload an AR for a decent price than a ghetto bling-bling weapon like the Shitti 14.

Besides, AR's rule the roost here. That's why the site is called "AR15.com"...what'd you expect us to say?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#29]
How do you guys fell about the Mini-30?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

IMHO the same pros & cons apply, with accuracy being somewhat mitigated (if you consider the comparison benchmark in this chambering your average AK-clone or SKS, as opposed to the AR in .223) but the magazine issue amplified even further.

I've never owned one but have been impressed with a good friend's scoped Mini-30.  He has used it (quite successfully) for deer hunting for years and I shot well with it at the range (better than I expected to).  It still wouldn't be my first (or second, or third) choice for a HD/SD/trunk rifle unless the "PC issue" were of overriding importance but, again, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Worse than the Mini 14.

My Mini-30 was the only firearm I was more than happy to sell.

No good hi-cap mags and very very inaccurate. My canted sight WASR-10 would shoot circles around it.

Didn't even make a good truck gun..

Pass on the Mini..

My two cents..
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
... very very inaccurate. My canted sight WASR-10 would shoot circles around it...

Interesting - exactly the opposite of my (admittedly limited) experience.  Just goes to further show that we shouldn't generalize based upon one example of a firearm, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#33]
For the money get a VEPR-K in .223, it is about $70 bucks more and way better.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One more CON

I'd also venture to guess that mini's will go longer without failing due to crap in the action.

+ 1,000,000!
I've have a Ranch-Rifle that has been in my boat or the back of the truck 365 days a year for the last seven or eight years (with the rest of the tools). It has NEVER been cleaned, and it has NEVER had a single FTF, F,or E. Try THAT with an AR...

OMG - I'm starting to sound like the AK guys! www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_evilGrin.gif

If you want to add then make it a Pro don't sit here and try and debate a valid CON I brought up.  I gave the guy something extra to think about.  Maybe he cares for his weapons better then you and does infact clean it after every shooting.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top