Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 11:53:27 AM EDT
I'm going to get a SA racker from CMP and send it to Springfield to have them put a new Wilson barrrel on it for .308. My worry is, will the new barrel have enough material in back so when they ream it, is it going to headspace right. Would it be better to get a new stripped bolt or let them work with the one that comes with the racker. My CMP M1 Service Grade 30.06 shoots great and it gets 5 holes in the 10 ring at 100 yds using mil surplus stuff. Gonna try the PMC 3006C stuff if I can find it.

Ken
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
All 3 of my Garands have been rebarreled in .308's.  One Wilson, one Barnett, and one no-name...

Each has been rebarreled with the rack grade bolt.

Can't say enough good things about them all...

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I had my Blue Sky re done in .308 using a wilson 6 grooze barrel........Great rifle and well worth it to me.

Karsten
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Dean at   http://www.dgrguns.com/   does it all the time.  I haven't done it yet but plan to.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Which gunsmith/shop did you utilize for the barrel swap?  I am looking to do this as well.

Karsten and I both had them done by Clayton Smith at West Texas Ordnance...but sadly, he closed up shop about a year or so ago...

Dean stands behind his work, and he'd likely be my selection for this work today...

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I also had Clayton Smith re barrel my SA 1903 in .308 as well and completely refinish all the metal to match.....It is a shame he closed up shop, some say he closed to run the farm and another rumored he was a High School Kid that opted for teh Military.

You might also try  Ted Brown @ www.tedbrownrifles.com/pages/1/index.htm

Or Tim @ www.warbirdscustomguns.com/

Karsten
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I will give a thumbs up for Tim's work. I live in Houston so he is local for me. He rebarreled and reparked my H&R RG to a .308 and I put it in a Wenigs stock from DGR that I finished myself. It shoots and looks very good.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice Garand, John..
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I had DGR do mine. Works and looks great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top