Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 6:34:47 AM EDT
I've been planning on buying a M1 Garand from the CMP. Then along comes one of those deals you don't see very often. This is one of those stories where I just missed buying an excellent rifle.

Last month a co-worker I know starting talking about firearms. He was wanting to get a pistol for his wife for protection when he isn't home. I didn't even know that he liked guns. He didn't want to spend too much and was thinking about selling an old rifle that he bought ten years ago.

Yep, you guessed it, a M1 garand. Approximately 10 years ago one of his wife's brothers got the idea of buying a garand for their Dad as a present and wanted all three kids to chip in. Next thing you know they are buying three. One for their Dad and two more, one for each of his brother-in-laws.

All three came from the CMP. According to my co-worker condition of each was immaculate. Wood was perfect and finish flawless. It looked brand new. When they gave it to their Dad, he took it, but later said he didn't really want it. He then offered it to my co-worker. My co-worker took it and paid everbody who chipped in money, so he owned the garand 100%.

I asked what he wanted for it. He promptly said $400.00. He also had a sling, case, and 500 rounds of ball ammo in ammo cans that he would throw in if I wanted it. I asked him again if he is sure on the price. Is that all he wants for it? He says yes. I told him consider it sold and I'll bring the cash in the next day.

The next day no rifle. Even though he owned the garand, his wife thought he should ask her brothers if they wanted it since it was originally bought for their Dad. As my co-worker is a super nice guy and didn't want to stir up a family mess, he explained this to me. He also said he doubted that either brother-in-law would want it. But he wanted to keep his wife happy. I said no problem and when would he have a answer. He said after the holidays.

One brother-in-law still had his garand. He flat out said he didn't want it. I might also add this guy is pretty well off as my co-worker tells me. The other brother-in-law sold his years ago. He says he WANTS it. But he can't buy it right now because he doesn't have the money. He's not sure how long before he will have the money. I might also add this guy doesn't have a pot to piss in. He then proceeds to tell my co-worker that I'm ripping him off and he could get more for it. But get this, he wants to buy it for what they paid for it 10 years ago, plus the extra stuff.

I told my co-worker I was planning on buying a garand from the CMP and I could go a little more as long as he didn't want more than my set limit. That's why I asked him before about his price. I didn't want any bad feelings.

He tells me now that he is going to sell the rifle to his brother-in-law, whenever he can scrape the money up. He thought this would be for the best in order to keep peace in the family. He's sorry and hoped I would understand. I told him no problem. But it would have been nice to sell the rifle to some one who would appreciate it. I said if his brother-in-law sold his original one, I'd bet he's going to sell this one too.

I just hate missing out on a good deal due to somebody else sticking their nose in. I'd be willing to bet a super nice garand will end up at the pawn shop.  

Oh well, you win some, you lose some. I'll just follow through with my original plan of ordering one from the CMP.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Too bad. We all miss good deals.

It just make the ones we do get sweeter and the CMP is a sweet deal.

These are the good old days.

JR
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You want to hear a good deal, my friend whom is into guns was asked by his friend about a Garand he bought for $500, the lady he bought it from is a recent widow, her husband died at age 43, he had a gun collection and she wants to sale.  Anyways,  this Garand turns out to be a document DCM M1D Sniper rifle that was in lottory her husband won the chance to buy....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top