Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 5:11:21 AM EDT
What  is the best first book for the M1 that would explain ALL the markings, the serial numbers on the various  parts/groups, etc., etc.

Just received my CMP M1, service grade.  Gave it a thourough cleaning and took it to the range this weekend.   I shot about 120 rounds through it.  I think I may have to buy a shoulder pad if I didn't have to contend with my ego!  I have many great guns, but it has been a long time since shooting a firearm has put a big stupid grin on my face.  What a joy to shoot.  I also brought my SBR Bushmaster and 300 rounds .223 in order to sight in a new EOTech and get some trigger time on one of my favorite firearms. After sighting in the M1, I quickly sighted in the Bushmaster, put it away, and went right back to the M1.  I was able to keep all 100+ rounds in about a seven inch circle at 100 yards mostly unsupported.  It took one 3 shot group to sight her in.  I am 4 clicks up and 1 left for 100 yards.  One of the great guns that you can still own.  Incredibly history (on several levels), a uniques feel/heft , and a blast to shoot.   Simply awesome.

Now looking at a 1903...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Scott Duff's two books, The M1 Garand: World War II and The M1 Garand: Post World War II.  They are available from www.fulton-armory.com
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Also the book  'The M1 Garand 1936-1957' by Joe Poyer and Craig Riesch  make sure you get the 4th edition (2005)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top