Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 7:37:53 PM EDT
I just came back from NY with this from my Dad (I have it for sale for him on the EE but I may send him the money for it after today )

I took it to the range today.  The last time it was fired was back when He and I had gone shooting, so about 15 years in the gun safe until today.

I ran two patches thru the barrel and fired 100 rounds of PMC 110grn thru it.  Had one double feed in 100 rnds (typically a mag issue right )

Sweet gun!  I think I will send him the money and keep it myself !

RAZR pic

100yd RAZR pic
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Grab the PMC when you see it since you know it shoots and cycles it. My USGi is finnicky on ammo selection.

When you are ready for the Stainless Steel IJ brother to it (Anniversary Edition iirc), Synthetic Stock & Stainless mag, shot me an IM.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I've shot RealVirginian1861's USGI M1 carbine and I must admit, it's a fun little plinker.  Very accurate and cheap to shoot.  Especially if you reload for it.  I think his is a 1952 vintage but I'm not sure.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#3]

I think his is a 1952 vintage but I'm not sure

M1 Carbines were only produced during WW-II they were rebuilt many times and the barrel date may be the 1952 date that you are referring to... Commercial copies didn't hit the market until the late 60's With Plainfield being the first, I believe...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I think his is a 1952 vintage but I'm not sure

M1 Carbines were only produced during WW-II they were rebuilt many times and the barrel date may be the 1952 date that you are referring to... Commercial copies didn't hit the market until the late 60's With Plainfield being the first, I believe...

I might have the date screwed up.  It's been a few months since I saw it.  It's a great little piece.  It's very light and easy handling.  It makes quite a mess out of small critters.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't shot any of my carbines in years.  I'm not sure why, really.  I always enjoyed shooting those little guns.

I did get a chance to run a few rounds through a genuine USGI M-2 Carbine last year.  That little sucker was fast!

There's a good write-up on Wolf .30 Carbine in this month's Small Arms Review, BTW.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice carbine, nice shooting.

When you had your double feed was it with a 30 rd mag or an old 15 rounder?

I rebuilt  4 15 rounders and haven't had a problem with them since.  Now the 30 rounder, that's a completely different story.  They're notorious for jams.  I shot mine yesterday and didn't make it through a 30 rounder without it jamming twice.  I love those carbines though.  They're very fun to shoot.  And very handy too.  If I was a GI, I don't think I would've frowned on one.  Especially if I had to hump a radio or something else that was heavy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I rebuilt  4 15 rounders and haven't had a problem with them since.  Now the 30 rounder, that's a completely different story.  They're notorious for jams.  I shot mine yesterday and didn't make it through a 30 rounder without it jamming twice.  I love those carbines though.  They're very fun to shoot.  And very handy too.  If I was a GI, I don't think I would've frowned on one.  Especially if I had to hump a radio or something else that was heavy.

Thanks .

I have four 15 rounders and two 5 rounders.  Three stamped 'IS' and one stamped 'BW'.  I unloaded them by hand (to put them in the case for the flight) and the 'BW' was a bit difficult to unload.  I looked close and the feedlips come over the cartridge moreso than the 'IS' ones.  

I was shooting two guns that day and didn't really think too hard about testing mags (until after ).  I just wanted to get rounds downrange and do some sighting-in.

The other gun (also brought from NY) is a very accurate and cleverly disguised torture device.  It is labeled .30-06, no recoil pad, standard barrel, bolt action.

I was only able to get about 30 rounds downrange .  

I felt it in the shoulder but it was the BOOM that was doing my head in !

Anybody got input on those stampings?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks .

I have four 15 rounders and two 5 rounders.  Three stamped 'IS' and one stamped 'BW'.  I unloaded them by hand (to put them in the case for the flight) and the 'BW' was a bit difficult to unload.  I looked close and the feedlips come over the cartridge moreso than the 'IS' ones.  

I was shooting two guns that day and didn't really think too hard about testing mags (until after ).  I just wanted to get rounds downrange and do some sighting-in.

The other gun (also brought from NY) is a very accurate and cleverly disguised torture device.  It is labeled .30-06, no recoil pad, standard barrel, bolt action.

I was only able to get about 30 rounds downrange .  

I felt it in the shoulder but it was the BOOM that was doing my head in !

Anybody got input on those stampings?

IS is International Silver and is USGI issue.  I don't know what BW is and 5 rounders we're not USGI issue.  I got my rebuild kits from brownells, if you're interested.  Also, I don't think carbine mags should be too tight.  The ones I rebuilt are loose enough to take the cartridges out with no problem.  That could be your problem.  I don't know.  Any semi auto is mag finnicky.  They have to be proper for it to work right.  Cheap mags are a no no for the serious shooter.  At least in my experience.  But I'm not saying yours are cheap.  They may need to be broke in?  

Yeah a .30-06 can give you pounding, unless it's in a garand.  Then it's a whole different ball game.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

<snip>

IS is International Silver and is USGI issue.  I don't know what BW is and 5 rounders we're not USGI issue.  I got my rebuild kits from brownells, if you're interested.  Also, I don't think carbine mags should be too tight.  The ones I rebuilt are loose enough to take the cartridges out with no problem.  That could be your problem.  I don't know.  Any semi auto is mag finnicky.  They have to be proper for it to work right.  Cheap mags are a no no for the serious shooter.  At least in my experience.  But I'm not saying yours are cheap.  They may need to be broke in?  

Yeah a .30-06 can give you pounding, unless it's in a garand.  Then it's a whole different ball game.  

I figured as much.  

I had no issues with the IS mags (other than that one double feed).  I know because I purposely did NOT use the BW mag based simply on my unloading experience.

Taking the rounds out of the IS ones was very easy.  Also this gun had not been fired in about 15 years and I am confident the mags were loaded at that time.  This did not seem to affect them, which seems to strength the verbage that it is cycling of the mags that weakens the spring.

Where can I get more IS mags ?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

I figured as much.  

I had no issues with the IS mags (other than that one double feed).  I know because I purposely did NOT use the BW mag based simply on my unloading experience.

Taking the rounds out of the IS ones was very easy.  Also this gun had not been fired in about 15 years and I am confident the mags were loaded at that time.  This did not seem to affect them, which seems to strength the verbage that it is cycling of the mags that weakens the spring.

Where can I get more IS mags ?

Try billricca.com.  He carries  USGI equipment.  Besides some of the repro pouches and such.  I don't know if you can request what type of mag.  You probably can.  I got 1 mag from fulton-armory and it was like new but I hear it's hit or miss with them.  FWIW, if you really want to know about carbines, go over to battlerifles.com.  I learned alot over there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I had an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine about 20 years ago. It looked just like yours. It was a fine shooter, wish I never sold it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Just put another 100 rnds thru it yesterday.  Used Remington UMC (Wal-Mart) and the PMC again.  They only had one box of the PMC though .

I prefer the PMC.  

The Remington cycles fine and all that but there are various little spots, basically on every cartridge case, like stains of some type.  Also the very last round I fired sounded like a double charge but there was only slightly more kick; for a second there I thought I had fired two rounds.  I'm not sure because I have never had a-for-sure double charge and only one case came out.  (for some reason I even thought that maybe there was a double feed and both rounds went off with the first going entirely thru the barrel)

Will get some Georgia Arms ammo at the next gun show.

Did a field strip today and some minor detail stripping.  Pretty easy once you get a hang of the bolt  / gas block gymnastics.

The more I shoot this thing the more I love it.  Can't beat 110grain at 1800fps either
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top