Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 7:03:53 AM EDT
I just got a M1a Super Match for Xmas.  What scope do you use?  Also would you use the same one on another M1a with a 22" barrel?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You never mentioned what application you would be using this for (paper punching only, tactical matches, etc.), how far you planning on shooting this (100yds only or out to 1000yds) or your budget so I'll throw some in that should cover about everything there.

For about $180 you can buy a Bushnell fixed 10x scope w/ mildots. This is an excellent scope for the money with very repeatable adjustments.
For about $250 you can get a Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x40. This has mildots, target knobs that are very repeatable and a side parallax knob. I think this is about the best low cost variable out there.
For $300 you can order a Super Sniper through SWFA. Those that have the new ones really like them, say that they have great glass and the adjustments are consistant.
For $450 you can buy a Leupold 3.5-10x40 PR series scope. This has target knobs (w/ covers) and comes with either a Duplex or Mil Dot reticle. Of course, it also has Leupolds lifetime guarentee.
For between $625-850 or so, you can get a Leupold MkIV series scope with either M1 or M3 knobs. It will have a side parallax, 30MM tube and you'll get Leupolds great service.
For $1000-1400 you can get a Nighforce NXS. I'd opt for the 3-15x50 for an M14. There are any number of reticles to choose from. Target knobs, side parallax and an illuminated reticle.
For $1700-2500+ you can get a US Optics SN3-top notch glass, outstanding customer service and a scope built like a tank.
For $2200+ you can get a Schmidt&Bender scope-basically the same features as the USO.

All of the scopes listed will do you just fine for any distance and are good scopes. The Bushnell, Nikon and Leupold PR scopes will most likely require you to do mil holdovers to get to 1000yds since there isn't enough built in elevation without a 20MOA base.
Just remember, the scopes won't be worth crap if you use a shitty base (I.E. the Springfield mount or Leapers, etc.). Get a good mount like Smith Enterprise, Sadlak or ARMS and good rings and mount your scope from there. Don't forget, you'll also need some sort of detachable cheek piece since your cheek weld will now likely become a chin weld with a scope mounted.
I'm currently using a Leupold MKIV 3.5-10x40 w/ M3 knobs on my USMC DMR. The scope is mounted using a Smith Enterprise mount and Badger Ordnance rings.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Also look at IOR scopes. I have a pair of their binos and they have great glass in them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Great topic, I was about to pose the same question.

Lawman- how do you like your Leupold scope?  The reason I ask is that it appears the Nightforce NXS can be had for $250 to $350 more than the Leupold and don't know if it's worth it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Leupolds are nice scopes, I have 3 of the MkIV series. They are tough and the price is good. However, the same 3 Leupold scopes are on rifles to make them "militarily" correct. I have a MR/T on a SAM/R and 3.5-10's on a Mk12 Mod0 and the DMR. I know the fixed 10x MkIV is used on the DMR, but I think the variable is more versatile.
With that said, I have 2 Nightforce NXS's and 2 US Optics scopes. I think the glass on either is definetely better than the Leupold and they are also built like tanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Its no Supermatch, but for my scout, I purchased parts from Smith Enterprise, inc. and an IOR 2-12 x32mm Illuminated retical scope.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]
SS 10x42 rear focus from SWFA on my M21.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top