Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 4:06:31 PM EDT
hello. i've been browsing the m1 forum for a while trying to read up on it, but i figure i might as well post my question. i have decided my next 3 purchases will be

m1 garand
m14
springfield 1917

I want to add these "weapons of war" to my collection. and i have no clue about any of them really. i mean i know the basics, when they were used, etc...

But what i want to ask you experts is;
what should i look for when buying an m1?
i want something that can still shoot well, but i really would like to have original parts that date back to wwii. is this possible at a reasonable price? price isnt too big of a concern of mine, as long as what im buying is worth the dough.
in my area (fresno, ca) there arent many friendly shops that either have the guns or are willing to explain to me details of what im looking for. which is basically leading me to look online for the guns i want, and when looking online i want to make an informed decision when i actually buy.

if anyone has suggestions to lead me in the right direction, i would sure appreciate it.
thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the CMP here, www.odcmp.com  They sell M1's, you will need to meet their qualfications but, that's not really that hard. Once that's done you can get up to 8 a year, oh, they also sell '03 Springfields as well. The M1's they get are from either U.S. army storage or from foriegn countrys that we(U.S.) loaned them to, and were returned. Alot of these are WWII mfg rifles, and most are still quite useable, most have been rebuilt, they have No import markings and will have been test fired and headspaced, best of all they can ship right to your door. Prices range from $375-1400 I've bought 4in the last couple of years and a '03 Springfield and a '03A3 Springfield, I've yet to be dissapointed,
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]
wow, great info. i will check that out now.
thank you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the CMP. Great place to get a Garand.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
+3 on the CMP .  I've gotten 2 Garands and 1 1903A3 so far.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]
ADON on the M-14 forum is selling some NICE NICE NICE M1As from a collection he bought awhile back. I just bought a 4 digit SA all USGI NM  from 1978 from him at a very fair price. A hell of a better rifle then the new one's and this is still unfired. Talked to him for an hour last night on the phone. [same state I am in] Heck of a nice gent. I know he has a Fulton for sale right now and you should keep your eyes open for what he's selling. If I had the money I'd buy several more from him.

CMP for Garands.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is what I have bought from CMP.

1903, SA SG, SA Greek Rack, HRA Greek Rack.

I'd recommend CMP for a Garand.

I'm sending in an order for a Collector grade as soon as the mail man comes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top