Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 2:35:35 AM EDT
I've developed a fever for owning a Garand recently.  Mainly want it for nostalgia, but  definitely want to shoot it recreationally.  All I'm seeing in stock on the CMP site at the moment that are in my price comfort zone are Greek issue rack grade and field grade.  My question for those in the know is, does another $45 realistically get you a better rifle?  I will be ordering it by mail, since I have no chance of visiting in person to take a look.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, the CMP Field Grades are the same as Service Grade aside from higher amt of Muzzle wear. The Rack grades have even more muzzle wear, additional throat erosion, and may have some pitting/small part issues.  

My only experience so far with with the CMP has been my 2 Service grades(1 SA /1 HRA Greek) but, I'd spend those extra few bucks over a racker if you aren't looking to do a barrell swap sometime down the road. If this is your first Garand, I would strongly suggest saving up for the Service Grade while they've got them.

HTH,

Blitz
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IIRC, the CMP Field Grades are the same as Service Grade aside from higher amt of Muzzle wear. The Rack grades have even more muzzle wear, additional throat erosion, and may have some pitting/small part issues.  

My only experience so far with with the CMP has been my 2 Service grades(1 SA /1 HRA Greek) but, I'd spend those extra few bucks over a racker if you aren't looking to do a barrell swap sometime down the road. If this is your first Garand, I would strongly suggest saving up for the Service Grade while they've got them.

HTH,

Blitz

Thanks for your reply, Blitz.  Yes, this will be my first Garand.  I can justify the cost of a service grade, but I was a little turned off by the 60-90 day wait as per the website.  If the quality increase of a service grade over a field grade is really worth the wait, I think could live without one for a little bit longer.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The main difference between RG and FG is bore condition but from my order's experience they will RG rifles also for exterior condition or minor/cosmetic stock damage.

In the end it is " luck of the draw " as they say, you could order a RG and get an excellent looking M1 with a minor blemish in the bore or one that looks like it was drug behind a jeep down a gravel road...

Personally I would spend the extra $ 45 on a FG...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I got my Field grade a day before they up'd the waiting time to 90-120 days (non greek). The way I saw it and was told was: If you plan on shooting the rifle a while before you change out barrels get a Field Grade. Also, check out battlerifles.ambackforum.c o m. They have a decent M1 forum and I have pics of my 1943 SA field grade there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have bought two Field Grade Garands and am very happy with both.  The first one has a five digit serial number and a little pitting below the wood line but out of sight.  Other than that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

The second one has a 5,963,xxx serial number and that would make late into the 50's production.  It had also been redone in 1965....and to top it off, it has all S/A parts on it.  The stock has the S/A cartouches on it.

Was the $45 worth it?  I don't know but both of the ones that I have are priceless to me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
My FG had an immaculate bore. '44 Receiver, rebarreled in '51. It looks like it was never shot after being rebarreled. YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top