Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 6:05:36 PM EDT
Is there any legal way to import a Garand from a foreign country (ie Taiwan?)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Not if it's a USGI M-1, and on the flip side, it's not really worth the hassle trying to import a single rifle.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Not if it's a USGI M-1, and on the flip side, it's not really worth the hassle trying to import a single rifle.

May I ask why?

There are just so many restrictions from CMP that just....*sigh*

Thousands of garands overseas....shame to not be able to use them
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to think it was a big deal all the little T's to cross and I's to dot in order to get a Garand from the CMP.  I just finished this process for the first time a few months ago.  I have to say, it wasn't nearly as big a deal as it seems.  Especially since they've given us so many outs now with accepting a CWP (CCW), an FFL C&R,  DD214, etc.  I have both a CWP and a C&R so I was all set.

BTW, if you don't qualify for the shooting exemption, you can always have a range officer or police man sign off on the range waiver.  How hard is that to get done?????

The number one reason for me to use the CMP is that they deliver a helluvagun for a helluvadeal.

YMMV,
Steve L.

P.S.   I think these were worth it for USGI Springfield Armory Field Grades:

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I used to think it was a big deal all the little T's to cross and I's to dot in order to get a Garand from the CMP.  I just finished this process for the first time a few months ago.  I have to say, it wasn't nearly as big a deal as it seems.  Especially since they've given us so many outs now with accepting a CWP (CCW), an FFL C&R,  DD214, etc.  I have both a CWP and a C&R so I was all set.

BTW, if you don't qualify for the shooting exemption, you can always have a range officer or police man sign off on the range waiver.  How hard is that to get done?????

The number one reason for me to use the CMP is that they deliver a helluvagun for a helluvadeal.

YMMV,
Steve L.

Thanks. I may just give it a shot :D

Yep, that is why I'm so interested. Great gun at GREAT prices
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Like what?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like what?

What I meant was that you need to be have a membership in CMP Affiliated Organizations, which I do not feel that I should be  part of, as I go shooting very rarely (job takes up so much time, nearly no time!) I probably shoot twice every few months. I feel that paying money for such rare times of shooting would be...wasteful, right?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What I meant was that you need to be have a membership in CMP Affiliated Organizations, which I do not feel that I should be  part of, as I go shooting very rarely (job takes up so much time, nearly no time!) I probably shoot twice every few months. I feel that paying money for such rare times of shooting would be...wasteful, right?

No, membership supports the CMP.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Your best bet is doing what I did and joining the Garand Collectors Association, its only $25 a year, and you only need to do it one time.  Just be aware that they renew in September, so if you join in August and order in October, you'll have to pay 2 years worth.  But they do send out a pretty picture journal quarterly and give you a pretty nice form to document all the writing on your Garand.

Its the cheapist way, and I'm all for cheap.

Steve L.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Your best bet is doing what I did and joining the Garand Collectors Association, its only $25 a year, and you only need to do it one time.  Just be aware that they renew in September, so if you join in August and order in October, you'll have to pay 2 years worth.  But they do send out a pretty picture journal quarterly and give you a pretty nice form to document all the writing on your Garand.

Its the cheapist way, and I'm all for cheap.

Steve L.

Thank you very much, GreenTalon!

You just made by day!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#10]
The Garand Collectors Association will even send the CMP notification that you have joined. GCA is really the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Badaim, you don't have to shoot alot to justify being a member of a club....

Join your State Rifle/Pistol assocation or something.  Here in Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Rifle Association is CMP affiliated and a 1 year membership only costs $25.  That small donation both qualifies me to purchase from the CMP AND it helps pay for grass roots firearms rights protection at the state level....not a bad deal and it has nothing to do with how much I go shooting.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I feel that paying money for such rare times of shooting would be...wasteful, right?

Man I sure don't know what that means. I am unconvinced that you need a Garand. The good thing for you is that it will be easy to get one anyway.

CMP requirements

www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm

In most cases your state rifle assn, if you have one, ( right on MSG) will qualify as the affiliated organization. Oh..... You say you don't belong. Join it. No reason not to its worth more than $25.00 to the GCA. Get involved even if just to get the newsletter and the email updates about gun grabbing in your state.

The other requirement is "proof of marksmanship activity" is a no brainier and used to be much tougher. Down load this form and bring it to the range the next time you go.

www.odcmp.com/Forms/marksmanship.pdf

By the time you get that signed and your membership info back from your state assn. you will be approximately 30 days from Having M1's sent to your house.

Then again there's always importing from Taiwan.

These are the good old days.

JR
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#13]
tagged for her pleasure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top