Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 4:20:39 PM EDT
OK, I don't own a M14SA/M1A yet, but I want to build one.  I've got two AR's in the safe but I've never even pulled the trigger on a M1A, so I'm a certified noob in this arena.  I did snatch up some BRW-S1 USGI mags back when the Klinton ban was in effect, just in case, so I've got to find something to use them with.

I understand that USGI parts are getting harder to find so I want to scratch up a kit to put one together in the future.

I'm not dead set on a USGI barrel, so that's not a required component, and I know that I want to go with a fiberglass or laminated stock.  

I see where LRB has them for $959.00 with a aftermarket barrel.
I got an e-mail from armscorpusa.com asking $1,300.00, that included a USGI chrome lined barrel with a TE of <1.  That seemed a little steep.

I tried the search function on "usgi" and again on "kit" and didn't find anything helpful.  Maybe my search-fu is weak.

Question 1 - Can you guys give me some advice on a great place to order a kit from?
Question 2 - Are there any disadvantages to having a rear lugged Receiver?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
#1)

Nancy aka partsforyou on www.gunbroker.com is a good source for piecing together a parts kit.
www.raparts.com
www.m1garandrifle.com
www.amherst-depot.com
www.billricca.com
www.usarmory.com

are other excellent sources of USGI parts. Each of them won't have some items though.

www.lrbarms.com for new commercial manufacture chromium plated M14 barrels.  

# 2

Most M14 stocks will not be interchangeable with a rear lugged M14 type receiver.  This is not a big deal IMO.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanx different.
BTW, I spend the better part of 2 hours browsing your site today.  Awesome collection.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
For what a USGI kit is gonna cost, whether bought as a kit or piecemeal, you'll be many dollars ahead to get a complete rifle. Especially as this is your initial entry into the M14 type addiction .The "older, barely shot M1A with USGI parts" that everyone talks about pop up for sale pretty regular on the forums for maybe $300-$400 more than a kit is gonna cost. Not to mention gunsmith assembly, these aren't ARs or FALs that lend themselves to amateur home assembly.

I've done it both ways,factory rifle and gunsmith assembly of my collected parts, and each has its pros and cons.For a first step into M14/M1As, I don't really see the need for spending more than necessary as long as you get quality.These things are pricey enough as it is. But if you got the bucks to burn and your heart is set on a gunsmith build, knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd agree with the idea of looking for a M1A thats already got some USGI parts on it.  I stumbled across a Federal Ordnance M1A that had a complete USGI parts kit on it for under $700.  While the fed ord receiver isn't the greatest, the USGI parts are just as good as any others and will probably be stripped for a new build in the future...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top