Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 9:05:31 AM EDT
How exactly do you fit a GI bolt to a chinese receiver?  I have herd many people talk about it, but never herd how hard it is to do.  Or is this best left to a gunsmith?  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#1]
As if by magic...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=171826
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Warbird at M-14 site. I have never heard anyone there say ANYTHING bad about his work.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend leaving it to a gunsmith mostly because I am one and because of the tools required but there is a certain amount of expertise that goes into it.  

First off just check the headspace. It may be ok. If not you really need to be able to remove the barrel to proceed any further. I use a jig to align and tension the bolt against the receiver locking recesses. Then a little at a time with lapping compound work the new bolt in till it will close all the way in the stripped receiver.

Then the barrel needs to be test fit and bolt checked to see if it will close with barrel hand tightened. If not then more lapping. You have to be constantly checking headspace at this point so you don't go too far. When you get the headspace right and the bolt functions correctly with the barrel installed then that's about it in a nutshell. I have pics on my site from one I did if you want to see.
www.dansshootingsupply.com
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
As the other fellow said, first check your headspace and if you're 1.638 or better, you're good, you're one of the lucky few, shoot it and be happy. Unless you shoot a hell of a lot, you prolly won't wear it out.

If your headspace is long (starts to close on a NATO FR gauge, or shows popping or flattened primers when shooting), join the club, you need a USGI bolt. This can involve several different levels of work. Mine turned out to be a drop-in BUT this is a rare exception and I think I've only heard of one other that was this smooth. (The dealer I bought my bolt from had three bolts and all three dropped right into my gun but I only checked headspace on the one I bought.) One or two other fellows were able to fit USGI bolts into Chinese rifles just with some minor hand lapping of the bolt lugs and I know of one fellow who built a homemade jig to polish a small amount of metal off the bolt lugs to achieve fit.

In most cases it's best to leave this work to a pro such as Warbird or Ted Brown. They know how to do it and are set up to do it and know what they're doing. Warbird's prices are very reasonable for this critical service.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Bolt lapping tool
+

+
Headspace Gauges

have fun,proceed slowly.Honestly though for just 1 gun it's far more cost effective to have it done proffesionally .And if you screw up you have to eat it,if the smith screws up he'll make it right (provided of course you went with a reputable smith)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:27:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey Dan,

Earlier you said that a new barrel must be installed.
Sounds like a Fulton con job to me.
Now you have edited your post and deleted your comment on that, why ?
Warbird says you don't need a new barrel as both of mine still have their original chromed barrel.

Also, you charge a fee $50 for a tech inspection.
Could you specify the reason for that ?

How long have you been doing the USGI bolt conversion ?
Sounds like you just started doing this.

I had 2 Poly's that Warbird converted to use USGI bolts and they both shoot great.
Warbird has done 1000's according to his website and I for one have to believe that.
I think anyone wanting the USGI bolt conversion done should have very experienced guys like Warbird or Smith Ent. doing this and not by someone who has no experience. I wouldn't want my receiver ruined beyond repair. I can reccommend Warbird for this work and any m14/M1A/M1 work you need. Smith is good but, very pricy.

Warbird has good info. listed on his website.
http://www.warbirdscustomguns.com/Rifle%20Shop%20services.htm

BTW Dan, do you have a FFL yet ?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Well do have a FFL Dan
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Danny, you out there anywhere ?
Hmmmmm, maybe not.
Just make a post & run I guess.

Anybody got got a clue wether Danny actually has a FFL or not ?
Maybe he is looking for the papers to see if he has one.
Hopefully he will answer some of our questions for us.
He is advertising here & on his website that he is doing gun work but, does anybody really know for sure ?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Warbird seems like the real deal. The only guy I ever heard bad mouth him was Ron Smith. Ron Smith built up my LRB and they installed a stripper clip guide with a big dremel mark across the face of it and scratched the receiver installing a bolt stop. They are asshats. Funny he bad mouthed the comp but farked up my build.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I understand this Dan will have his FFL very soon.

Quoted:
Warbird seems like the real deal. The only guy I ever heard bad mouth him was Ron Smith.

They shook hands and made-up. No bad blood there...

Ron Smith and company are currently installing a TRW bolt in my Norinco.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I had Ron Smith convert my Norinco  to and All USGI rifle and repark. The reciever was soft was why I did it in the first place. The headspace was about gone too. Long...  I checked the Rockwell  at work on out shops tester .It was deffiently a ggod bit under what the spec's for a USGI  calls for. So I sent it to be heattreated to specs and Bolt and barrel swap. Cost me $$$$ but it is a kick ass rifle .Ron Smith did a good job. , IMO WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:38:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info. H2O_MAN
It's been said that Dan has been waiting for his FFL for almost a year now.
Does it take that long ?
It doesn't look like ole Dan will be replying anytime soon.
What a way to start off the new year huh ?

Well. I for one hope to have a better year in 2006.
More shooting, buying parts and maybe another rifle in the ole safe.

In any case, I hope everybody has a safe new year and keep your barrels warm.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Ghost Rider: I don't know what Dan's reason for not responding is, but it's probably a valid one. Go to Warrifles.com or M14forum.com. DSS (Dan) is well respected on both of those sites, and may be (don't remember for sure) a moderator on one of them. I may have missed it, but I don't remember seeing ANY negative feedback on him. He definitely knows what hes doing. Greg
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ghost Rider: I don't know what Dan's reason for not responding is, but it's probably a valid one. Go to Warrifles.com ...

Correct. He is DSS @ WarRifles.com - he's a good guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top