Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 4:50:57 PM EDT
I finished this project today.  Here are the photos of Different's Grab-n-Go M14.  It's the proverbial SHTF tool.  

Components include: Springfield Armory, Inc. pre-94 ban M1A receiver, USGI Saco-Lowell chromium plated barrel, NM flash suppressor, NM front sight, unitized and shimmed gas system, standard rear sight, Sadlak Industries titanium nitride coated gas piston and NM spring guide, Smith Enterprise, Inc. extended bolt lock, USGI synthetic stock with Mogadishu camo pattern, USGI nylon sling, USGI bolt, USGI trigger group, USGI op rod, and USGI cleaning kit. Weight is 11.6 pounds with full magazine, cleaning kit and sling.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!

Did you do the finish yourself? Technique?

Tell us (newbies) about the titanium gas piston (advantages / disadvantages.)

What is the item to the left of the trigger group?

When do we get the range report.

Once again, NICE!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nice!

Did you do the finish yourself? Technique?

Tell us (newbies) about the titanium gas piston (advantages / disadvantages.)

What is the item to the left of the trigger group?

When do we get the range report.

Once again, NICE!

Thanks.  I did not paint the stock.  I have no artistic ability.  LOL  The item to the left of the trigger group is the USGI M14 cleaning kit lubricant case.  It has grease in the small end and CLP in the other end.  Yes, I need to get it sighted in along with Mrs. Different's shorty M1A that has the new Aimpoint Comp M2.  I finally have subsonic ammo for my suppressed M1A that I need to try out too. From my book, the advantages of dense chrome or titanium nitride coated gas pistons are as follows:

Titanium nitride coated gas pistons became part of the build specification for XM25 rifles by 1988 (see XM25 and M25).  The M14 SE Semi-automatic Sniper System is built with a dense chromium plated gas piston.  The USGI M14 gas piston material specification is heat treated AISI 416 stainless steel.  Typical USGI gas piston surface hardness ranges between 74.5 and 77 HRA (approximately 42 HRC).  A gas piston coated with titanium nitride results in a surface hardness ranging from 70 to 80 HRC.  Thin dense chromium plated gas pistons have surface hardness of 80 HRC.  The advantages of a hard and smooth finish gas piston are as follows:

1) Anti-galling and anti-seizing properties – Galling is the welding of two metals together as they slide against each other.  Galling and seizing are not desirable in the M14 rifle gas system.  Titanium nitride and dense chromium coatings are harder but have lower coefficients of friction than stainless steel.  These characteristics result in a slicker surface than the bare stainless steel gas piston.  In effect, the hard finish is a solid lubricant in this application.  Consequently, there is less gunpowder and primer residue buildup.  Gunpowder and primer residue buildup does cause a very minute amount of seizing between the gas cylinder and gas piston.

2) Corrosion protection – Titanium nitride and thin dense chromium finishes have better pitting corrosion resistance than martensitic stainless steel.

3) Thermal protection – Thin layers of titanium nitride and dense chromium give the substrate metal, AISI 416 stainless steel in this case, better resistance to the effects of heat.  The higher resistance to heat extends the service life of the gas piston much like titanium nitride coated metal cutting tools last longer than those that are not coated.

4) Better compression – The hard finish extends the life of the piston grooves.  A sharper groove edge will provide compression for a longer amount of time plus it removes more of the gunpowder and primer residue from the cylinder wall than a bare gas piston.

5) Easier cleaning – Cleaning the piston is made easier since the gunpowder and primer residue does not adhere as well as on bare gas pistons.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
That is worthy of envy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
so nice to see someone build a M1A without all the bling bling!!!!!

looks great!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice.  No, super nice!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I Really Like It!!!!!  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:47:05 AM EDT
[#9]
May I have it?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Outstanding.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#12]
That's one damn fine looking rifle.  I love that camo pattern.  It's unique.  I wonder why it's not more popular?  MJD
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#13]
It's Different - nice grab and go rifle, great camo and integration.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Wasn't this the reliable zombie SHTF grabber or something?  I liked the first name.

Can you give us some info on stock painting?  I have a few synthetic stocks coming in and and intersted in camo paint schemes, but I stink at painting.
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Wasn't this the reliable zombie SHTF grabber or something?  I liked the first name.

Can you give us some info on stock painting?  I have a few synthetic stocks coming in and and intersted in camo paint schemes, but I stink at painting.
Thanks

Excellent question, cool-e.  The Grab-n-Go M14 can certainly be used for self-defense against reptilian aliens but I thought the original title was too narrow in purpose. After all, other bad things could happen that would cause me to grab this M14, e.g., the People's Liberation Army parachutes into Hartford, Connecticut.  You know, when the CCW just won't cut the mustard.

I wish I could help you on the stock painting.  I'm worse than a blind man in that department.  I recommend Karsten for camo stock painting.  www.imageseek.com/karsten The gentleman that painted my Mogadishu stock is retired and is no longer in business.  Mine is one of the last he did if not the last one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#16]

I did this one myself, for me. It was based off Differents, which was based off the sniper's in the movie Black Hawk Down.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:14:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Both rifles are outstanding... If one were to start putting together a USGI parts kit to build something similar, where would be a good place to start looking for the parts ??? I'm in a very un-friendly to gun owners state (not the one that shows next to my user name) so a pre-ban receiver would be a big plus.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Nancy aka partsforyou on www.gunbroker.com is a good source for piecing together a parts kit.
www.raparts.com
www.m1garandrifle.com
www.amherst-depot.com
www.billricca.com
www.usarmory.com

are other excellent sources of USGI parts. Each of them won't have some items though.

www.lrbarms.com for new commercial manufacture chromium plated M14 barrels.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Different......
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
www.tinypic.com/j0zhwp.jpg

I did this one myself, for me. It was based off Differents, which was based off the sniper's in the movie Black Hawk Down.

I could be wrong but wasn't the snipers m14 in BHD just regular wood?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey Different...   Nice slaughter waepon.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#22]
No filling of the selector hole?

Edit: That Sadlak Industries titanium gas piston, other than the coating, is USGI compliant... so to speak?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#23]
When are you going to install the rails?

Needs at least 6 rails.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:49:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When are you going to install the rails?

Needs at least 6 rails.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Two reasons why the selector cutout is not filled in on the stock: 1) practical - it will fit on my NFA Registered full auto M1A 2) symbolic - it's a constant reminder that we have lost some freedom.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#26]
You and I painted our stocks almost identically.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#27]
SHTF mag and round loadout also what do you use to carry them? Considering same set up for that. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
SHTF mag and round loadout also what do you use to carry them? Considering same set up for that. Thanks

IMHO, use what works for you and avoid what doesn't.  LBE is as personal as clothing in my civvie mind.  Since I don't have to salute anyone, anymore, I figure I can wear what I like. With that, chest rigs and vests are not for me.  They are too warm for me and I like to be able to get into a good prone position if possible.  YMMV When it comes to LBE, I'm old school but I accept some modern improvements.  Solid neutral colors (gray, tan, brown, olive) are apppropriate for "street" clothing IMO.  Why draw attention?

SHTF magazines and ammunition - five USGI twenty rounders each loaded to twenty rounds plus one sixty round bandoleer kit.  If I need more than that, I need some friends but I'll carry the full auto M1A for the team.

LBE - USGI web belt, two 1 quart canteens and covers, butt pack, one 9mm mag pouch for the Gerber MPT, three compass pouches on the buttpack (mini-binos, compass, mini-flashlight and telescoping inspection mirror), individual first aid kit and pouch on the other side of the butt pack, two dual 20 round M14 mag pouches, one Maxpedition Rolly Polly for a dump pouch or utility pouch, M6 bayonet and M8A1 scabbard, and H suspenders.  I secure the pouches using MALICE clips.  I use the nylon M14 magazine pouches with fastex buckles from Charley's Surplus.  These are well made.  If I need more water, I can throw on a Camelbak hydration bladder over the suspenders.  Spare complete headspaced bolt, a little food, and personal items in the butt pack.  GI poncho on the bottom of the butt pack.  Total weight including the LBE, two quarts of water (no Camelbak) and the bandoleer kit is 27 pounds.

Add in the 11.6 pounds for the Grab-n-Go M14 and that is light enough to allow me to move around at a decent pace since I'm in good shape.  HTH

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#29]
for you guys who have built yours what is a round about cost to build by hand?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two reasons why the selector cutout is not filled in on the stock: 1) practical - it will fit on my NFA Registered full auto M1A 2) symbolic - it's a constant reminder that we have lost some freedom.

1) Wait... arn't there only like 60 or so USGI m-14s on the NFA register?  

2)  

However, I was thinking to fill the hole to keep dirt or what not out.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
for you guys who have built yours what is a round about cost to build by hand?

I have $1500.00 to $1600.00 into the Grab-n-Go M14.  I started with a safe queen M1A which already had the Saco-Lowell barrel, unitized gas system, and NM flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) Wait... arn't there only like 60 or so USGI m-14s on the NFA register?  

2)  

However, I was thinking to fill the hole to keep dirt or what not out.

Regarding real deal USGI M14s, yes, give or take.  But there are about 175 full auto (select fire) Smith Enterprise M14 rifles and 1000 to 2000 full auto (select fire) Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A rifles.  Here's my NFA Registered full auto M1A.

Here's a close up:

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:20:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#34]
I saw really nice piece at the gun show they wanted 14,500 for it but it was pretty
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Thank's I was thinking 5 mags also in web gear and 100 additional rounds, have to see what is weighs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I saw really nice piece at the gun show they wanted 14,500 for it but it was pretty

True M14's that are transferable are big money, M1A conversions should be in the $7500 range.  I think one was just on gunbroker for $8200 or 8500, something like that.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Thank's I was thinking 5 mags also in web gear and 100 additional rounds, have to see what is weighs.

I've carried 8 full mags and 3 full bandoleers for action shoots.  Over 300 rounds.  It ain't pretty unless you like ruck-marching (which I do).
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Outstanding! VERY well thought out and utterly practical. If I were limited to only one rifle for life - that one would satisfy me. No really - I mean it. That's the best complement I can give you on it. So how does it shoot ?????????????????????????
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:52:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Outstanding! VERY well thought out and utterly practical. If I were limited to only one rifle for life - that one would satisfy me. No really - I mean it. That's the best complement I can give you on it. So how does it shoot ?????????????????????????

Thank you. Long story short, I have it sighted in but I have not tested it yet for accuracy.  When I do, I'll use Portugese surplus plus some 168 grain Sierra handloads.  It's on my list of projects.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top