Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 1:56:10 PM EDT
Bought my first Garand today. $842

SA Receiver April 9th 1942
SA Heavy Barrel 1951       With a re-crown/cut to it. Arsenal re-build in 1951.
IHC Trigger Group
HRA Op-Rod

The Barrel groves and lands are so clean and mirrior brite with no pitting. Besides the re-crown/cut im happy with the barrel.

Whats the Advantege with a heavy Barrel

Also i have a guy going to trade me a SA trigger group for my IHC trigger group. He said he will throw in some cash also. How much cash should i ask for

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure its a heavy barrel? If it is I didnt realize that there was such a thing as a USGI heavy barrel. What are the  numbers on your HRA op rod. I have a HRA service grade with a SA oprod and trigger that I am trying to make correct. By the way nice rifle
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The only heavy barrel that I'm aware of is a aftermarket commerical one... Drone, what numbers/letters do you see on the barrel in the slot between the rear handguard and stock when you pull the op rod back?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The nubers/letters on the barrel are   S-A-7-51
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice looking rifle. There's no sure way to nail down the rebuild time, short of the usual rebuild marks on the receiver leg, which wasn't common to the 1950s rebuilds. Barrells produced as spares often sat for long periods of time before use. As H&R and IHC were not yet producing  rifles in '51, those parts would indicate a later rebuild or parts swapping.

As far as trading trigger groups, IHC parts are getting to be the new "Winchester" of Garanddom, in other words, the parts are pricey. And SA being the most common/least $. Value of an SA trigger group would naturally vary with condition and revision #, but I can 't remember seeing IHC groups for sale for less than $100 or $125 lately. Crazy, yeah, but common sense and Garand prices are pretty much mutually exclusive nowadays.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
No offense but you waaaay overpaid,  you paid 2x what it is actually worth.

Barrel is stock GI not a heavy match barrel and the Bubba cut back muzzle is a value killer. If you are happy with it I guess that is all that counts...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:29:33 AM EDT
[#7]
drone,

Congrats on your first M1....

BUT....   Don't know who told you that your rifle was made on "April 9th, '42", but production dates are broken down by month.  NOBODY has records of the exact day a rifle was made, not even the Army.

Barrel:   The 1951 date tells when the barrel was manufactured..... it could have been several years (up to 15) before it was actually installed on a rifle.   The mix of HRA & IHC parts also argues for a later install date.   Also.... the muzzle has been trimmed back WAAAYYYY farther than an M1 is supposed to be trimmed..... which argues that at one time the muzzle must have been SEVERELY hosed or it would not have needed such drastic treatment.    Even in the photos it's obvious....  the barrel of the M1 normally sticks out 3/8" beyond the "lip" of the gas lock.  The muzzle on yours can't even be SEEN beyond the body of the lock itself, let alone the lip.  An M1 muzzle is not supposed to be trimmed back more than .100"... yours has to have been whacked off by at least .600".

Unless the gas port was also opened up to compensate, you may experience FTF's and short strokes due to lack of enough dwell time at the gas port.

Also, there were no "heavy" USGI barrels.  Whoever told you that was playing you for a rube.... sorry.

Wood:  The stock and handguards look nice, but sure do resemble Boyd's aftermarket to me... not USGI.  I could be wrong though....

All in all, you may have a fine rifle, but I have to agree that you overpaid by a fair amount for what you have.....  by several hundred bucks anyway.

Question:  You live in Ohio???  Why didn't you just run up to Camp Perry and buy an M1 from the CMP??  You'd have had your pick of lots of rifles, and for $850 you could have gotten an all correct rifle (aka Correct Grade), or for $500 a ready to be issued to troops Service Grade.  Also, the CMP rep is top notch and customer service is the envy of the entire firearms industry.

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats!!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok.

Went back to the store and got a full cash refund.

So now i need to go to the CMP store somtime and drool over some of there Garands

thanks
Drone161
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#10]
She is beautiful, even after having been to CMP, I think you did real good. I hope you are kidding about taking it back.

BTW/FWIW- All of them have been rebuilt. I think I'd keep the IH triger group, hell, its one of the rarer parts, and it came with it. Its not like getting a SA will make yours better or worth more. But the IH is indeed worth more money.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top