Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 1:47:54 PM EDT
I bought an M1A scout last weekend and shot it last Sunday and today.  No misfeeds or other ill behavior has been exhibited yet, but while cleaning it last Sunday, I noticed that the set screw in the front sight was loose, and the sight was moved all the way to the right side of the dovetail.  I didn't notice this (apparent misalignment) during my first range trip, but I found that to shoot dead center, the windage needed to be set one dash to the left of center.  It shoots fine, mind you, but it seems odd that the front sight would have to be moved so far to the right and appears misaligned when viewed from above the barrel.  Is this normal or indicative of another SA quality issue?  Still very happy with the rifle, just bothers me to see something off center so much.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It's possible that the set screw came loose (or was loose) during your last time at the range. The general prodedure for zeroing your windage is to set your rear sight windage knob to the center (zero) mark. Then place the front sight in the apparent or visable center of the dovetail. Fire several groups to see where your groups are impacting. If the windage is off center, move the front sight in the opposite direction you want the bullet to impact. That should zero your rear sight windage.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as you don't have to adjust the front sight to the point that it overhangs the sight base it is "within specification."  FWIW and FYI, the front sight on President Eisenhower's Springfield Armory M14 rifle (serial number D.D.E. 1) sits all the way to the left on the sight base but does not overhang.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
As long as you don't have to adjust the front sight to the point that it overhangs the sight base it is "within specification."  FWIW and FYI, the front sight on President Eisenhower's Springfield Armory M14 rifle (serial number D.D.E. 1) sits all the way to the left on the sight base but does not overhang.  

Thanks for the info.  The sight has about .015" (as per vernier caliper) to go before it is truly flush with the edge of the base.  It shoots straight, but I'm a nitpicking b@stard and wonder wherein lies the misalignment that requires the front sight position to look so odd.  Although, if this is the only problem that it gives me, I'll stay quite happy with it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top