Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2005 3:41:49 PM EDT
First garand. It's a Field Grade. Requested a WWII serial and got a 1501XXX. April 1943. It will match my byf 43 k98k perfectly!!! Barrel is 2S-A-4-43 which is possibly the original barrel. The barrel is pretty shot out though (it does has some groves). Will get it TE'd and MW'd tomarrow. Stock has S.A. G.A.W and RA-P cartouches, along with crossed cannons... Placing stock around Aug 1943+. Perhaps original stock too? Top cover doesn't quite match the rest of the wood though. I haven't had time to take her all apart yet and check out the op-rod and trigger group.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrads!  Way too cool.  I would keep all of the paper work, and If you have room you should also keep the box.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Tore it down quick to get some numbers off the rest of the parts:

D28290-12-SA Trigger Assy.
C46008-5 SA  Hammer
D28287-18 SA Bolt (appears new or refinished)
6535382 SA Op-Rod (cut)

If anyone knows whats arsenalled and whats original please share. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The -18 bolt is a later bolt, According to Duff's book, it's somewhat of a unknown, showing it's use starting sometime in '44 until who knows.. the op rod is post war, (any part that has a "65" number prefix is post war) -5 Hammer May of '43 through July'44. -12 Trigger housing..starting in Dec'42 through aug '44. Barrel is very probably orginial, the SA GAW(starting in Oct'43) stock is a later stock, yours would have been a SA EMcF. Saftey would have been a C46015-9SA(you might want to look) The RA-P is a rebuild stamp. I think that's Raritin (sp?) Army depot. The barrel might suprise you, It may have a few rounds left in it before it's replacement time, You've got some orginial parts you did good! The stock is also a good score!  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. I'm very happy with it and CMP. I will have to find a rear upper handguard that matches better, but other than that and repainting the gastube/front sight post she's good to go. I took her to the local smithy. He didn't have time to get the gauges out before close but he checked it over real quick and says it looks pretty nice (still wants me to bring it in tomarrow) and that it passes the muzzle bullet test (as in pic) fine.

The safety is a C4601... so that looks correct. And I see people (on ebay) want a mint for a correct op-rod. Sheesh.

I took some denatured alcohol and some boiled linseed oil and cleaned up the stock quick. Looks much better now. Has a bit of tiger striping. Stock cartouches are real prominent now. It also looks like it had the armory white numering on the stock. There was enough to make out a 18X5. With the X too far gone to tell. The alcohol has pretty much destoyed it now, wish i saw it sooner... Is this number something worth restoring/restenciling?

Looks like I have a nice shooter. I hope she's accurate. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I would'nt worry about the white number...It was probably a rack number that was put on somewhere, It dosen't really mean anything. Let us know how she shoots..
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a -6 uncut oprod if you decide to restore it.  Just IM me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Have fun refinishing that stock.

I've done several and they usually come out great..

Good looking shooter!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]
nice m1 ....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Careful, those Garands tend to multiply!  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Careful, those Garands tend to multiply!  

Like Rabbits
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Yea, after the year end bonus comes in, I think I will be expecting my third M1...and maybe an 03 to make it an even number.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a question.
Do you have to do the notary thing each time you order a gun or are you issued a customer number and that's all you need?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#14]
The notory must be done for the first rifle order... then a notory is nott needed for another 3 years.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have a question.
Do you have to do the notary thing each time you order a gun or are you issued a customer number and that's all you need?

It is my understanding that after the first time you don't need a notary. However, while my order for a USGI SA SG made it in under the backorder wire they tried to get me to switch to a greek and when that didn't work, they tried to claim that my app wasn't notarized. I stood my ground and 8 months later my rifle, much to my surprise, showed up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top