Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2005 5:34:43 AM EDT
For those interested, I've just posted a *mostly completed* article on my weightloss M1A EBR CQB Chopmod:

Weightloss EBR

Still working on closing thoughts...

Take care,

Brobee
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:00:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking write up!  I hope to read it thoroughly when time permits.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]
i like that setup with the AR15 buttstock
maybe I can make me one with the Ace Entry stock in a similar configuration
nice article also very informative on a setup I want to do
I now just have to finish my 870 build
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Good read!  Nice commentary on the mixed arms environment and why a single user needs something else.

The SAGE stock can certainly become a beast!  I have a Leupold LR/T mounted on mine for a DMR type rig and it is heavy.  To reduce some weight, I have found that the side rails just aren't going to get any use and stripped them off.  It's not much weight, but it's at the far end of the rifle.

I'm also looking to ditch the bottom rail and replace it with a plastic spacer to mount the handguard and a simple sling swivel screwed into the chassis.  I suspect with all rails removed, it is about 1/2lb more in weight loss, and better handling since it is out at the end of a lever arm.

A question on the ACOG:  Did you ever try mounting it on the rear stripper clip mount?  That may allow you to trade up in magnification and still get the eye relief you need.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I did try it on the rear stripper clip...picking a shorter eye relief acog worried me in the scope kiss department.

In the end, the ACOG worked well for me other than the fact that it sat a little high. With the standard sage stock and it's adjustable cheekpiece it was no big deal, however I really wanted to dial the weight back and as such committed to the CQB version of the stock. Perhaps when magpul releases their cheek piece riser for their M93B I'll give it another kick at the cat...

Take care,

Brobee
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
have you looked into that cantilever larue scope mount
I saw someone had one mounted on an M1A backwards and it didnt use the stripper clip mount
might work for ya
i personally liked that idea but to each his own
i have to find a link in here for that picture

BTW i finally got a hold of one of your old school Argonaut 870 adapters
its a mad addition to my 870 and will be made into a clone of your 870
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My only issue with the Larue mount is how high it sits...if the objective was not to lose some weight off the original EBR, then the Larue mount would be a great combo with the standard ebr chopmod and it's adjustable cheek piece. With an M4 or M93B stock on the back, it's simply too high for my taste.

Glad to read you found one of the old Argonaut Adapters; I still love my shotgun...:)

Brobee
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
well it was only a suggestion
no harm done in adding it here
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i have to find a link in here for that picture

Look no further...

While it does sit high, it is at an appropriate height for a 50mm objective as pictured.  A smaller objective scope could do better with a different mount.  I think any real scope on an M1A demands a cheek piece and the standard SAGE fits the bill nicely.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Great link, Brobee.  Very informative.  

Will
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top