Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2005 5:06:39 PM EDT
The magwell is tight and on both side where the mag rubs, there are white spots on the synthetic stock. Also, in a couple of other areas.

Is the bare finish of the stock white? Or is something rubbing ONTO the black finish of the stock?

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Never mind.

The stock is white underneath the obviously very thin paint or whatever finish it is. I just tapped a mag edge against the edge of the magwell and sure enough the paint chipped off and it's white underneath. Not exactly a "tough" finish by any means. Oh well, a marks-a-lot fixed the problem easily enough, but what's the deal with the paper-thin black finish?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Springfield Armory, Inc. black color M1A stocks are USGI synthetic stocks that have been painted.  Whenever I buy a NIB M1A I sell off the black factory stock.  Why?  Black color stocks are heat sinks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Springfield Armory, Inc. black color M1A stocks are USGI synthetic stocks that have been painted.  Whenever I buy a NIB M1A I sell off the black factory stock.  Why?  Black color stocks are heat sinks.

Can you recommend a quality replacement manufacturer? I think I will do the same with mine.

Thanks.

Also, anyone have a pic of a SOCOM with a walnut stock? Just curious.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
For all I can tell SA, Inc sprays a coat of Kilz white primer over the stock to seal in anything from bleeding throught.

Karsten
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you recommend a quality replacement manufacturer? I think I will do the same with mine.

Thanks.

Also, anyone have a pic of a SOCOM with a walnut stock? Just curious.

Buy and install a USGI M14 synthetic stock.  Continue mission.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The black stocks they use on the Socom 16 does not appear to be the same as the brown USGI fiberglass coated with black crinkle paint like they have used for years on the other models.  It does not have any checkering, different texture, and feels different overall.  I thought it might be a Bell and Carlson.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The black stocks they use on the Socom 16 does not appear to be the same as the brown USGI fiberglass coated with black crinkle paint like they have used for years on the other models.  It does not have any checkering, different texture, and feels different overall.  I thought it might be a Bell and Carlson.  

Taco, I have had a few of the newer finish here that I took in trade. The current finsh is indeed different from what SA had been using and a lot tougher the strip but they are still USGI synthetic stock under the paint.

Karsten
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top