Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2005 7:42:56 AM EDT
Has anyone mounted a Leupold CQB onto a M1A? If so- could you post a pic & your opinion on this setup.......Thanks
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#1]
No one? What optics you using then for CQB?
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No one? What optics you using then for CQB?

Most use Aimpoint, others use EOTech - ACOG is a popular challenge.

I currently use an EOTech on one rifle and think I will try Aimpoint on my second.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
It is not what you want on your M14/M1A:  it sits too high, the magnfication range (1-3X) is a tad short, IMHO, and the reticle's center dot is too big for precision engagements at anything beyond a couple of hundred meters. Eye relief is also wholly inappropriate for a 7.62mm NATO weapon.  Also, Leupold reportedly has no plans to product-improve the design.    
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It is not what you want on your M14/M1A:  it sits too high, the magnfication range (1-3X) is a tad short, IMHO, and the reticle's center dot is too big for precision engagements at anything beyond a couple of hjundred meters. Also, Leupold reportedly has no plans to product-improve the design.    

+1
If they would have made it a tube mounted with the batteries on the side you would be good to go.

A shame as it is a great scope.
CH

<-------- Eotech on his
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is not what you want on your M14/M1A:  it sits too high, the magnfication range (1-3X) is a tad short, IMHO, and the reticle's center dot is too big for precision engagements at anything beyond a couple of hjundred meters. Also, Leupold reportedly has no plans to product-improve the design.    

+1
If they would have made it a tube mounted with the batteries on the side you would be good to go.

CH

<-------- Eotech on his

Amen, Cape_hunter!    I have this sneaking feeling that in Beaverton they thought somehow that rails at six, nine at 12 o'clock would be a critical factor.  How Gucci! Oh, well.....
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How Gucci!

You talk to Ron way to much
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

CH

<-------- Eotech on his

Amen, Cape_hunter!    I have this sneaking feeling that in Beaverton they thought somehow that rails at six, nine at 12 o'clock would be a critical factor.  How Gucci! Oh, well.....

I have sent several emails and though they are only an hour away I have yet to get anywhere.
as I REALLY want one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#8]
If you after something small and great take a look at the Zeiss Z Point. It really works great and even self adjusts on the fly for surrounding lighting conditions.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you after something small and great take a look at the Zeiss Z Point. It really works great and even self adjusts on the fly for surrounding lighting conditions.

Actually looking at hte IOR CQB sight
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
cape,
email me, I will talk to you.

Jerod
[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually looking at hte IOR CQB sight

==========
Upon reflection, I would suggest Leupold's excellent Mark 4 1.5-5X20mm MR/T M2 Illum SPR.  It does everything right, imho.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#12]
The leupold sight isnt used much compared to the aimpoints and eotechs, the field of view isnt that great and it requires a bit of eye relief once you turn up the magnification.  It is larger and heavier than the aimpoint or eotech that do virtually the same job only better.   Only plus the leupold has over the other two is the magnification, but I really dont see that as a plus either.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I just read an article regarding the Schmidt & Bender CQB "Short Dot" scope.  ALLEGEDLY, this was the scope developed after Loopy "screwed the pooch" (author's assertion, not mine) on its CQB.  The same author touts Larue "mounts" (base? base & rings?).  

Full disclosure: I shoot w/ a couple of Loopy's.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
cape,
email me, I will talk to you.

Jerod
[email protected]

Thanks Jerod and thanks for the offer. We have had this discussion here before and basically I was told it aint gonna happen.
CH
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just read an article regarding the Schmidt & Bender CQB "Short Dot" scope.  ALLEGEDLY, this was the scope developed after Loopy "screwed the pooch" (author's assertion, not mine) on its CQB.  The same author touts Larue "mounts" (base? base & rings?).  

Sorry, but $1700-2200 is too rich for my blood. I can swing $750-1000 for a decent optic, but S&Bs prices are jsut too much for me. Good stuff though.
CH
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, but $1700-2200 is too rich for my blood. I can swing $750-1000 for a decent optic, but S&Bs prices are jsut too much for me. Good stuff though.
CH

===========

Yep, and as the war transitions, along with defense acquisition priorities, we can expect the military market for the high-priced spread in optics to be that much more constrained.  In other words, DoD will be ever more price sensitive -- especially when it comes to high priced electro-optical devices.  The military will simply be more in a reconstitution mode than it is now and not in an acquisition mode.  This makes the above poster's contribution all the more germane.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:24:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CH

the leupold 1.5-5x20 m2 with the spr reticle looks pretty good to me. i think it runs about 800. i think that's the correct nomenclature,but not sure.this is assuming you're using a standard m1a
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CH

the leupold 1.5-5x20 m2 with the spr reticle looks pretty good to me. i think it runs about 800. i think that's the correct nomenclature,but not sure.this is assuming you're using a standard m1a

==========
Yes, that's the scope you want: Leupold Mark4 1.5-4X20mm MR/T Illuminated SPR reticle, p/n 56994.  SEI (Leupold military in-house distributor) recommends this for DMR applications and for the MK14-type rifle specifically.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yes, that's the scope you want: Leupold Mark4 1.5-4X20mm MR/T Illuminated SPR reticle, p/n 56994.  SEI (Leupold military in-house distributor) recommends this for DMR applications and for the MK14-type rifle specifically.  

..and it may be the one I end up with as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top