Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2005 11:20:07 AM EDT
Hello Guys,

I usually don't post many threads. This site is a wealth of information if you just listen. However, like so many others, I have decided to expand and get a M1A. I have some questions I'm hoping some of you experts can answer.

I'm to the point where I can finally get one. Due to the limit of set funds, I am thinking of getting a Springfield MA9102, the Standard with walnut stock, or MA9222, the "Loaded" Standard with upgrades and walnut stock. I don't have the money for a National Match or a LRB, as much as I would like to get one.

After reading some of the comments, I get the impression that the current and even past production of the Springfield M1As are garbage. Is this correct, are they junk? I know that USGI parts are more desirable, but are current parts in the rifles no good? Will they not hold up? Do they have multiple malfunctions? Do they not shoot accurately? Has the quality control gone to the dogs?

I have gone to the Springfield website for answers, but they are a little shy of them. I thought they came with a lifetime warranty. Does anybody know for? Anybody had any warranty work done, how was it? If you buy a M1A, you used to get a "Loaded Coupon". Do you still get it? What kind of products can you get and at what savings?

I've also seen some called GI collector at the last gunshow. What is so special about these? I tried to get some information from the guys at the gunshow. All they could tell me was it was a collector and worth the money.

I want something that will function properly and hit what I aim at. Will buying one of the new production M1As be a disappointment? Should I wait longer and try to find an all USGI or close to it? What serial numbers should I look for? So far, everything I have been looking at is all beat up or the person wants a small fortune for it.

Any past experience with the Springfield M1A or other useful information would be greatly appreciated fellas.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a new M1A a couple of months ago. Paid $1199 for it. I have shot about 500 rounds of surplus
7.62 through it without any problems. I am tempted to scope it (and will eventually) but that gun is
so accurate with iron sights out to 300 yards I hate to burden it with the extra weight!

Mine is a terrific gun, and I have no regrets getting it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
No, they are not junk.  They may need a little adjusting here and there to get them to their full accuracy potential.

The "junk" issue comes from a couple of things:
1.  They have run out of USGI parts.  M1As were originally built by putting leftover M14 parts onto a civilian receiver.  These M14 parts were forged and subject to very high quality standards.  Current parts are cast and do not enjoy such a reputation for longevity and reliability.
2.  Many recent ones have had issues, particularly regarding rough chambers and spontaneously exploding extractors.  

If you don't want to look for a used one with USGI parts, then buy a current SAI, immediately replace the extractor with a USGI one from Bill Ricca Parts, Orion, Fulton Armory, etc., and shoot the hell out of it.

I'd also advise digging into the knowledge base at www.m-14forum.com.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have owned and fired many M1-A's over many years in all configurations, and as yet to find a bad one from S.A. Shot thousands of rounds with nary a single failure I can remember, and no parts breakage. Accurate durable and a little heavy, my SA bush rifle is the absolute best.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
At one time or another, I've owned eleven Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A rifles.  They were all wonderful.  I regret losing the ones that I have sold.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hello Guys,

I usually don't post many threads. This site is a wealth of information if you just listen. However, like so many others, I have decided to expand and get a M1A. I have some questions I'm hoping some of you experts can answer.

I'm to the point where I can finally get one. Due to the limit of set funds, I am thinking of getting a Springfield MA9102, the Standard with walnut stock, or MA9222, the "Loaded" Standard with upgrades and walnut stock. I don't have the money for a National Match or a LRB, as much as I would like to get one.

After reading some of the comments, I get the impression that the current and even past production of the Springfield M1As are garbage. Is this correct, are they junk? I know that USGI parts are more desirable, but are current parts in the rifles no good? Will they not hold up? Do they have multiple malfunctions? Do they not shoot accurately? Has the quality control gone to the dogs?

I have gone to the Springfield website for answers, but they are a little shy of them. I thought they came with a lifetime warranty. Does anybody know for? Anybody had any warranty work done, how was it? If you buy a M1A, you used to get a "Loaded Coupon". Do you still get it? What kind of products can you get and at what savings?

I've also seen some called GI collector at the last gunshow. What is so special about these? I tried to get some information from the guys at the gunshow. All they could tell me was it was a collector and worth the money.

I want something that will function properly and hit what I aim at. Will buying one of the new production M1As be a disappointment? Should I wait longer and try to find an all USGI or close to it? What serial numbers should I look for? So far, everything I have been looking at is all beat up or the person wants a small fortune for it.

Any past experience with the Springfield M1A or other useful information would be greatly appreciated fellas.  Thanks.

A couple of years ago I too had the same questions as you do running through my head..(short trip). I guess the answers are based upon who you talk to and their personal experiences.. I have been on some forums that were split 50/50 with the factory vs. usgi parts guns...All  I can tell you is that i bought a Supermatch two years ago even after reading all the factory horror stories.. when i got it, I took it to the range and the trigger dropped out after about four rounds...I was pretty po'ed..I sent it back to the factory, they kept it a couple of weeks and sent it back to me ..I took it to the range and shot the hell out of it.., it has worked just fine ever since and I do not baby the rifle..It has been  accurate and reliable ...I like it so much I have been squirreling usgi parts to build another one. I'm doing it to learn more about the rifles and because I like to tinker...I don't think you can go wrong if you buy a factory rifle. They have a great warranty if something does go wrong...Besides the company needs the support... Some of what you hear is true, but a lot of it is from someone who overheard someone say.. you get the idea..If the factory goes under because of negative hype..then what? just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a 9222 for a few years now and it's sweet.  Definately a keeper.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No, they are not junk.
They may need a little adjusting here and there to get them to their full accuracy potential.

True, they are not junk however mine required more than a little adjusting to get it up to speed.

During the first 3 years of ownership I returned my Scout to SAI 4 times for warranty repair.
This Scout left the factory with zero GI parts - every time my rifle returned from warranty work it
had a new USGI part. I spotted a trend and supplied my own GI bolt with one return.

SAI's warranty was great when they had GI parts.

In fairness to Springfield - I didn't know enough to even look for GI parts when I purchased my rifle.
I have learned much about the awesome M14 type rifle since then.

Today, the only part of my rifle that remains factory original is the receiver and rear sight -- Everything is USGI or SEI.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
My factory rifle (Standard) purchased in 2002 came with an SA Op-rod, SAI Trigger (which I replaced) but the best of all was the TRW Bolt and TRW Barrel (!) Go figure. It blew my mind when I found out I had a barrel from 1963 on my new rifle.

I consider it by luckiest rifle purchase ever.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I have just over a thousand rounds through my M1A standard and have had zero problems that were not fixed by either a little lube or trying a different magazine. It'll digest anything I load it and it shoots a heck of a lot better than my eyesight is good for. It's not perfect but certainly I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Hello Rocketeer,  
      I am new to the forum, but I have been playing this game for 35 years.  I bought my first SAI M1A in 1978.  It was a period when GI parts were not available in any qty, so it was made with SAI manufactured parts.  That one was a real lemon and lived in the safe for about 5 years and was finally sold off.  About 1990 I was at a gun show and saw a great deal on a SAI std. model built with a complete set of unissued TRW parts and a nice GI walnut stock.  It doesn't get any better than that!  That one is very accurate, operates very smoothly and digests all quality surplus ammo.  I have seen some recent SAI production, that friends bought, built with numerous SAI parts and especially bolts and op rods.  One in particular, the op rod would come loose from the receiver at the rear every few rounds because it was so far out of spec.  On one the bolt would not move smoothly in the rec. rails and another had extraction problems caused by an out of spec bolt where the extractor rides.  These were all made right by the installation of good GI parts.  My take on the issue is that a newly manufactured  purchase may work great or may need some parts replaced depending on the luck of the draw.  I would look for an earlier production gun made by SAI with a good GI parts set.  SAI makes a good receiver and I would stick with that.  The GI parts market is getting tough as parts get harder to find and the prices are going out of sight.  Get some spares anyway.      Good luck,     Billy
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Do the right thing.  Get a FAL.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 2:23:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a newer one with no complaints.  Springfield should make it right if you do have a problem.

Max
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I was just over at fulton-armory.com checking-out the USGI parts for sale. Are all or most of the parts the same between the M14 and the M1A? I ask because I have a NIB SA M1A Standard on lay-away that I will be taking home in Dec or Jan. So I'm getting a leg-up on what parts I'll want to change-out right away. Also, what spares would you guys recommend having around (what's most likely to break sooner or later)?
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Do the right thing.  Get a FAL.  

I had to LAF at that one

Quoted:
I was just over at fulton-armory.com checking-out the USGI parts for sale. Are all or most of the parts the same between the M14 and the M1A? I ask because I have a NIB SA M1A Standard on lay-away that I will be taking home in Dec or Jan. So I'm getting a leg-up on what parts I'll want to change-out right away. Also, what spares would you guys recommend having around (what's most likely to break sooner or later)?

Shop around for deals on USGI parts in the Equipment Exchange here and for sale listings on other forums.
Real GI mags and bolt parts are good things to have. Books by Scott Duff and Lee Emerson are excellent.

If it ain't broke get a spare for when and if it does FAiL.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had my M1A  for about 2 years now and its been a fine rifle. Accurate, reliable , and turns heads at the range. I dont keep a count of how many rounds through it but its got to be a couple thousand.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I have owned a Springfield SuperMatch M1A with a Kevlar stock and Hart Stainless Barrel, since 1985.   Tom Reese, the Pres. handed the rifle to me.  It has since been double lugged by Clint Fowler and I still have a spare Hart barrel that Springfield will rebarrel for no charge!  I shot a 97-6X Standing at the National Matches with it.  It is Not Junk!!hug.gif
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have owned a Springfield SuperMatch M1A with a Kevlar stock and Hart Stainless Barrel, since 1985.   Tom Reese, the Pres. handed the rifle to me.  It has since been double lugged by Clint Fowler and I still have a spare Hart barrel that Springfield will rebarrel for no charge!  I shot a 97-6X Standing at the National Matches with it.  It is Not Junk!!

From what [little] I've learned since putting a down payment on a NIB SA M1A two weeks ago, the the rifles manufactured in this decade (2000-2005) are considered to be more "junky" and as you go back in time they get better (due to falling USGI parts counts) . I was concerned about the fact that I'm paying $1,300+ for a new rifle and am getting "junk". Posters like Different and others have reassured me that new Springfields are NOT junk, but that certain peices of hardware would be better-off replaced with USGI parts sooner, rather than later. So I decided to stop worrying about it and just shoot mine (after I finally get it in January) and replace or upgrade some of the parts as I'm able. It still bums me out that I'm spending so much money on a "starter" or project rifle, but I think it'll do me fine and I may not even want to upgrade that much. The fact is, I want this rifle mainly for a SHTF sniper and the M1A still seems to be the best rifle to me in that role. It sure LOOKS nicer than a FAL. FAL's are like Glocks to me... I can't deny that they have fans and rightfully so, but I just can't force myself to be one of those fans. I want my guns to work well, but look good doing it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I like my m1a(loaded)  enough to mount and scope it    

I shoot  australian f4.   south african lead.     black hills 175 and 168 BTHP.   and have gotten up to 1.5 groups.   the heavier bullet is much harder on the rifle but it will still shoot it.  

if you decide to mount it the smith enterprize #2006 mount and #7002 rings is the way to go
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice rifle cruze5
If the the 175 is a little harsh try the 168 A-MAX.

Quoted:
... the smith enterprize #2006 mount and #7002 rings is the way to go

That is the same rock solid mount/ring combo I have with a twist ...
the mount is on one rifle for my EOTech and the rings hold my M8 Scout scope forward mounted on rifle number two.

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a new M1A Scout/Squad for $1599.00 out here in CA.  1000 rounds later no problems, no FTF/F, FTE.  It is probably more accurate than I am.  If I had the money, I would pick up another one.  As it stands, I am ready to add some options now that I have a feel for what my expectations are.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Start of rant: Regarding M14/M1A parts, you have choices in 2005:

1) Cough up the righteous coin for highly collectable USGI parts for your M14/M1A.  Buy a receiver or barreled action and then complete the assembly.  The golden age of USGI M14 parts production ended in 1970 with TRW's run of M14 bolts.  There is some current (2005) production of parts but it is all for Uncle Sugar.  Prices will continue to escalate for USGI M14 parts in the civilian market.  If you want USGI M14 parts, do not wait any longer.  No surprise there.

2) Encourage production of , seek out and purchase commercial DOMESTIC made quality parts for your M14/M1A.  This is the option I'm using to upgrade several of my M1A rifles.  

3) Pay market price and accept what Springfield Armory, Inc. uses in the present day.  Most likely you won't need their lifetime warranty but if you do they will take care of you.  Upgrade the factory rifle as finances allow and as your passion moves you (see #1 and #2).  

4) Buy a safe queen (older SA, Inc. M1A or older Armscorp M14 or Federal Ordnance s/n under 9000) loaded with USGI parts from someone in financial trouble.  These deals are out there.  I used this option earlier this year myself.

5) Buy a Chinese M14 or Federal Ordnance M14 with Chinese parts (these run about $700 to $900 ball park).  Have any metallurgy or geometry issues addressed by a reputable M14 gunsmith.  Most of the Chinese parts are very well made.  

End of rant.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#22]
NICE rifle cruze5!!! Wow... I got the all-black Standard because I've always liked black rifles and never cared for woodys. But dayum... that rifle of yours is a looker. I may have to consider wood for my next M1A.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#23]
No they are not junk, get one and enjoy shooting it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I had to send mine back to the factory three times before it would go a full magazine without feeding or extracting problems.   In the end, they replaced the op-rod (multiple times), the bolt (multiple times), and the entire receiver (once).     It shoots ok now, but I'll never trust it as much as I do my other rifles...
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Exactly how does one tell if the parts are USGI? What numbers and such does one look for? This assumes a SA.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I had to send mine back to the factory three times before it would go a full magazine without feeding or extracting problems.   In the end, they replaced the op-rod (multiple times), the bolt (multiple times), and the entire receiver (once).     It shoots ok now, but I'll never trust it as much as I do my other rifles...

How much would you sell this M1A for?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Exactly how does one tell if the parts are USGI? What numbers and such does one look for? This assumes a SA.

From the 11/19/05 version of my book M14 Rifle History and Development :

USGI Contractor Identifying Marks or CAGE Code M14 Parts or Accessories Made
A-1 Sewing Contractors, Inc. 0NZ21 nylon dual magazine pouch
Advanced CNC Manufacturing, Inc. 1YDC9 gas piston
Aerial Cutlery M6 bayonet
Airtronic Services Inc. Medical/Aviation Division 1C5Q6 flash suppressor
Allied Precision Products, Inc. 24249 NM windage knob
American Pin, Inc. A magazine body (and possibly stripper clip)
Anco Machine Co. 3V055 ejector and ejector spring
Anniston Army Depot AAD walnut M14E2 stock
Apex APEX M14E2 stock fore grip mount
Argo Development Corporation ARGODEVCORP M14E2 stock rubber butt pad
Associated Spring AO stripper clip
BHM Corporation BHM CORP gas cylinder plug wrench
Borg-Warner BW, BRW S-1, BRW B-2, 7F259 magazine body, magazine follower
Brookfield Precision Tool BKFLD PREC TL operating rod spring guide, scope mount, gas piston, scope mount adapter for AN/PVS-4, Navy special flash suppressor, sound suppressor
Bruce Machine and Engineering BME windage knob, NM windage knob
Canadian Arsenals, Ltd. CA, C A L standard contour NM barrel, birch M14E2 stock
Cathey Enterprises, Inc. 8K916 M1907 leather sling
Chase Bag Co. bandoleer
Check-Mate Industries, Inc. C.M.I., 1M291 ten round and twenty round magazine body
Columbus Milpar and Manufacturing Co. MILPAR COL M6 bayonet
Cooper Precision Manufacturing 1JHX1 DMR barrel (see M14 DMR)
Defense Procurement Manufacturing Services, Inc. 40554 trigger housing
Delta-X Corporation 33950 NM/2A rear sight base
Dennison Machine Tool Co. DM hammer
Do Well M14E2 stock fore grip
Douglas Barrels, Inc. 0K789 NM barrel
Druge Brothers Manufacturing Co. DRC windage knob, elevation knob
East Moline Metal Products EMMPCO blank firing attachment
Eastern Canvas M14 magazine web pouch
Enrex Corporation ENREX, 0BTD4 NM windage knob
Farmer Supply & Tool M2 bipod marked 7790688
Frazier Manufacturing Co. FZR elevation knob, windage knob
G. G. Greene Metal GGG, GGG 7791154, 26194 stripper clip, magazine charger
General Dynamics Armament Systems, Inc. 26978 chromium plated barrel, medium weight NM barrel
Globe Union, Inc.
Ignition Division rear sight elevation knob and spindle
Hall Planetary Company 26878 medium weight NM barrel
Harrington & Richardson H, H R, H&R, HRA, H&R Arms Co. receiver, rear sight base, trigger housing, operating rod, chromium plated barrel, front band, safety, trigger and sear assembly, gas cylinder, gas cylinder plug, flash suppressor nut, hammer and wood stock
Hart Rifle Barrels, Inc. 0FMZ6 NM barrel
Harris Graphics Corp. Commercial Press Division 20084 NM barrel
Imperial Knife Company Imperial M6 bayonet
Killeen Machine & Tool KMT CO. trigger guard, ten round and twenty round magazine body, operating rod spring guide, standard M14 stock butt plate flapper
Krieger Barrels, Inc. 0DCS1 DMR and NM barrels
Lady Mac Corset Co., Inc. M14A1 cleaning kit pouch
Lufkin Lufkin stripper clip, elevation knob, windage knob
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Inc. 0LB99 DMR and NM stocks
Mechanical Component Corporation gas cylinder
Mercury Tool & Machine 24411 operating rod
MKS Industries scope mount
New Arc Welding and Steel 39361 NM barrel
Nomura Machine 0NWF5 NM heavyweight barrel
Pennsylvania Working Home for the Blind PWH, TWB M8A1 scabbard
Reinhart Fajen, Inc. 77742, 3T616 NM stock
Rock Island Arsenal walnut M14E2 stock
Saco-Lowell SAK chromium plated barrel, standard contour NM barrel, operating rod, gas cylinder, gas piston
Sandco Mfg Co. canvas web small arms sling
Seymour Products Co. SEY, SEMCO, 78180 stripper clip, magazine charger, bandoleer
SGW SGW NM barrel (see USGI M14 National Match Barrels)
Smith Enterprise, Inc. 3A5E1 scope mount, flash hider, extended bolt stop, gas cylinder lock front sight, NM rear sight base, NM front sight, 30 mm scope rings
Springfield Armory S A, Springfield Armory, 19205 all rifle parts and all magazine parts
SPS Co. bolt lock pin
Stewart Iron Works SWK windage knob
Textile Machine Works HRT bolt
Thompson-Ramo-Wooldridge TRW receiver, trigger housing, hammer, gas cylinder, gas piston, rear sight base, connector, operating rod, chromium plated barrel, standard contour NM barrel, bolt, flash suppressor, safety
Tong Industries T I safety, windage knob
Tri-Technologies Inc. Thermal and Moisture Protection Division 06MA8 front sight, operating rod, trigger and sear assembly
Union Hardware Company U H C (in a semi-circle) magazine body
Unknown # 1 COM magazine charger
Unknown # 2 - possibly County Machine & Tool COUNTY MACH M14E2 stock butt plate base
Unknown # 3 CPP NM windage knob
Unknown # 4 CTX magazine follower
Unknown # 5 HRL bolt
Unknown # 6 – possibly Nichols Machine HR-N, OM-N trigger housing
Unknown # 7 – possibly Risdon Manufacturing Co. (CAGE Code 98373) HR-R and R? magazine body
Unknown # 8 K8 safety
Unknown # 9 LPR NM windage knob
Unknown # 10 MXR safety
Unknown # 11 N. E. INC. M14E2 stock rubber butt pad and fore grip
Unknown # 12 NOV PROD CO bandoleer
Unknown # 13 RFM 7791154 magazine charger
Unknown # 14 TOMCO NM windage knob
Unknown # 15 VIZ/WD, WD M8A1 scabbard
Unknown # 16 – subcontractor for Springfield Armory upside down W with a line through it but also looks like an upside down AA magazine body
Victory Plastics Company V.P. CO. M8A1 scabbard
Viz Manufacturing VIZ M8A1 scabbard
Watervliet Arsenal bolt, stripper clip guide
Westinghouse Electric W magazine body
Wilco Electric Co. WCE elevation knob, windage knob
Winchester OM,W-W,Winchester, 66118 receiver, trigger housing, hammer, chromium plated barrel, bolt, operating rod, stock, flash suppressor, magazine body, magazine follower, safety, trigger and sear assembly, gas cylinder, rear sight base, rear sight aperture, ammunition
Worden Specialty & Machine Tool combination tool
Wright Manufacturing Co. HRA-W, WRIGHT windage knob
Wyandotte Tool Co. rear sight cover

USGI Parts Stamped With Drawing Numbers
A few parts were also stamped with the USGI drawing number.  Most gas cylinders were not stamped with the USGI drawing number.  Gas cylinders made in 1963 (Saco-Lowell) and 1969 (Mechanical Components Corp.) have been observed with the stamping S/N 7790902.  They are listed as follows:
USGI Part Drawing Number
Barrel, chromium plated 7790190
Barrel, National Match, standard contour 7791362
Barrel, National Match, medium weight contour 9345206
Barrel, National Match, heavyweight contour 9349847
Bolt issued without roller 7790185
Bolt issued with roller 7790186
Gas cylinder 7790902
Hammer 5546008
M14E2 stock butt pad 7791673
M14E2 stock hinged butt plate base 7792062
Operating rod 7267064
Receiver 7790189
Trigger group housing 7267030

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
How much would you sell this M1A for?

If you're serious, PM me and I'll figure out how much I need for the rifle + mags.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Thats why I bought a polytech M14 12 years ago and 14000 rounds through it and still going strong.All original except GI flashhider/front sight assembly,walnut stock and GI mags and chinese ones..both identical.Never any head space problems and my local smith said it was heat treated hard enough.Its an IDE MICHIGAN stamped one so maby those were the best.There was once a side by side comparison with both rifles in a gun tests magazine 6 or 7 years ago and the M1A had the problem mentioned with the extractor.My dealer told me they dont come with chrome lined barrels any more..dont know how true that is.Any way for the $600 I originally paid with 10 chinese mags spare barrel and bolt wich are still new I got a lot of gun for the money.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Thats why I bought a polytech M14 12 years ago and 14000 rounds through it and still going strong.All original except GI flashhider/front sight assembly,walnut stock and GI mags and chinese ones..both identical.Never any head space problems and my local smith said it was heat treated hard enough.Its an IDE MICHIGAN stamped one so maby those were the best.There was once a side by side comparison with both rifles in a gun tests magazine 6 or 7 years ago and the M1A had the problem mentioned with the extractor.My dealer told me they dont come with chrome lined barrels any more..dont know how true that is.Any way for the $600 I originally paid with 10 chinese mags spare barrel and bolt wich are still new I got a lot of gun for the money.

Perhaps I'll look around for a Polytech;  this thread made me realize I hadn't touched my M1A in about six months, so I took it out this afternoon.   After having shots fly all over the place, even though I zeroed it last time I had it out, I found that the rear sight elevation jumps a click almost every time the rifle is fired.   Sigh.   Everything is tight; the screw holding the drum on the rear sight is quite snug.   Maybe the SA factory will see this piece of sh!t again in the near future...
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a 1981 SA Standard model, it is a darn fine reliable weapon. Three weeks ago I fired a 2 3/16 inch group at 300 yards, using Venezuelan surplus ammo! Until the advent of the internet, I would have never thought people out there would have actually said SA's are junk. My rifle does have a high G.I. parts count, and that may be why the rifle is so good, but from my own experience, I would not hesitate to buy a new one. By the way Happy Thanksgiving!
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 5:07:11 AM EDT
[#32]
come on ,your saying nobody ever had a problem wirh a USGI rifle?i dont belive that.anytime you run a prduction of anything some clinkers are gonna get by.ya wanna talk USGI? I COLLECT .45,S over the years ive bought some govement g.i. .45,s you know how many of THOSE i had to rework?if you gotta problem with your new springfield get them to make it right!their customer service is great. to say its JUNK is cursing the whole line,and they must be doing something right cause right now their m1a ,s are so DAMN HARD TO FIND! tried looking for a scout lately?         HAPPY TURKEY DAY  YOU MISFIT,S!
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I have had no trouble at all with my SA NM M1A, the only glitch was some failure to feeds with Aussie surplus...That same lot of Aussie had trouble feeding in my BAR 10 also.....
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#34]
I bought a new one made in 02 in Jan. 04 brand new . $ 1050  Standard with synthetic stock , it has TRW tube and H&R Op rod and a few other GI parts but the Bolt and Trigger group are commercial SA .

I went the "Promo" scope deal route . B4 both the scope (retical rotated) and the mount  broke (Thumb screw) . the combo showed MOA accurracy (w/ Port ammo). And I got my scope / mount $ back , It's just frustrating .

IF i were to scope it again , I'd IM Differant and take one of his recomendations on mount/ scope or not do it at all . I really have learned to like the thing w/o scope .

I bought a "lookin at" stock from "FRED" (a must read site IMO) , and cammoed the original sythetic for using .

BTW No failures , stopages , or cycling issues of any sort . For my purposes the standard is just fine (as I know she'll shoot better than i can) . Probably 700 - 800 rds .

I'm very w/ it .....and it might be my favorite gun if I had someone else to carry it .
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I have two. Not junk. I have later ones too. Bought in ban condition without bayonet lugs.

They shoot excellently. I have RAS's on both (scored an excellent deal).

The full length is a loaded model. Worth it in my opinion. The heavy barrel helps. The Scout is topped with a 2x aimpoint. The full length is scoped with a Leupy Tactical 3.5-10x40. Both have USGI fiberglass stocks.

I am very happy with them.

Link Posted: 11/24/2005 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Forgot to mention my M1A was bought during the AWB and of course is a late model...
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I got a standard m1a with a nice walnut stock.   If I had it to do over I would get the synthetic stock because I switched to a usgi walnut and did not need the commercial wood.  No problems with rifle at all.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got mine last week, a standard modle, ran 100 rounds through it and I love it. I've searched around on the net for documented cases of new springfields having problems and haven't come across very many. Personally I have never met a flesh and blood person that had anything but good to say about springfield M1As, I do see a lot of SA bashing on the net, but don't put much faith in it at all.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I wish I could say the same...
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I wish I could say the same...

well pilot all i can say is put out the 2000k for an LRB rifle .yea its made out of USED but in good shape USGI parts, new top of da line reciver,and dont look back .me i just put 200 rd s through my NEW springfield scout and it work,s better than a v.c. whore!BOTTOM LINE ANYTHING IS PRONE TO CRAP OUT!OH  YEA i still got enough left over to buy a LRB parts kit ,save up for my reciver and build my m1a project gun next year!
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

IF i were to scope it again , I'd IM Differant and take one of his recomendations on mount/ scope or not do it at all . I really have learned to like the thing w/o scope .

I'd like to know what those recommendations are as well. I haven't even finished paying for my M1A yet, so I don't have it in my hands yet. But I have been looking at scope/mount options and asking opinions. So far I have been leaning heavily towards the SuperSniper scope line. Dunno what mount I want or should get yet. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

As far as me worrying about my NIB M1A, I decided to stop. There's been plenty of positive input in this thread, as well as others. I'm locked into the deal at this point anyways. So I'll just cross my fingers and hope I get a good one. If I don't then I guess I'll become a real PIA to the Springfield company and make them make it right.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

We now have a lot of choices when it comes to stocks, scope mounts and optics for the M14 platform.  Serious bucks for serious tools require serious consideration.  I've never been in combat but I have slept at a Holiday Inn many times, seen the inside of a nuclear reactor while critical, and got good grades all the way from second grade through college. First grade was a challenge though.

Everyone should have a standard model / rack grade semi-auto 22 " barrel M14/M1A with just iron sights as their first adopted child.  Your second or third M14/child can then be scoped and/or equipped with a 18 " barrel .  Here are my suggestions.  YMMV but consider the intended application and the "end user."

Stocks -
1) The Troy Industries CBR promises to be a leap forward ergonomically for the M14.  Problem, it's not available yet.
2)  The Sage International stock is super rugged and accurizing but a side three point scope mount will interfere with it unless modified.  It does the job very well but it's not everyone's cup of tea aesthetically.  
3) Wood stocks look great but are not as rugged as metal and/or fiberglass and need an occasional application of boiled linseed oil.  Also, would you want to use your museum grade walnut stock in SHTF?
4) Bedded synthetic stocks are rugged and a big help to accuracy but some types of bedding need touch up or replacement with use.  A McMillan fiberglass stock with a Tank's Rifle Shop steel bedding block is the cats's meow in this category AFAIK.
5) For the money, you can't beat a tight fitting USGI synthetic stock.  If you want to upgrade it, send it to Karsten www.imageseek.com/karsten to have the fore end reinforced with Kevlar (TM) and/or given a way cool Karsten camo paint job.
6) Custom design and manufacture M14 stocks - LAW483 is da man. www.law483.com

Mounts - Out of all the types available for the M14 platform (see M14 Scope Mount FAQ at www.imageseek.com/m1a ) the side three point design is the best general use model IMHO.  Out of the several three point mounts in the market, Smith Enterprise and Sadlak Industries models stand out.  SEI has the 7 " rail model if you need a little more rail space.  Sadlak makes titanium three point scope mounts.  See the article for other details on these.  If you want or need the mount to sit very low on the receiver, the ARMS # 18 is THE choice but it sometimes will not fit on commercial receivers so beware.  Again, see the M14 Scope Mount FAQ.

Scopes - My thinking is that you should decide if the optics will be used for close-in, rapid fire work or for precision medium to long range shots.  I readily admit I'm not an optics guru.  One principle though that I have read and heard from those in the know is that don't go cheap on optics.  IOW, buy quality and cry once.

For short range work, some folks love the EOTech models and are happy with them.  It's a good sight.  Battery life is short (1100 hours or so ?) compared to the Aimpoint M2 and M3 but one can carry spare batteries if need be.  IMO, it just doesn't sit as nicely as the Aimpoint.  It's "clunky" when mounted on a M14 but that's my personal opinion.

We've chosen an Aimpoint Comp M2 for Mrs. Different's shorty M1A.  The M3 has a battery life of 50,000 hours and the M2 is good for 10,000 hours.  I figure for SHTF we'll carry a spare battery or two in case the temperatures get very cold.  In that case, I don't see it worthwhile in paying the difference in price for the M3.  However, if you want a 2 MOA dot, the M3 is your choice.  We're happy with the 4 MOA dot on the M2.  Since we have it secured by an ARMS #22M68 ring and old style ARMS # 18 mount.  So, it's easy on, easy off for iron sights.

One of my projects is to glass my Super Match M1A with my (NFA Registered) suppressor.  I'm planning on 168 grain match grade ammunition since the barrel is not chambered for the M118LR cartridge.  My choice for glass is the Leupold & Stevens, Inc. 3-9x36mm MR/T M3 illuminated reticle with the 168 grain BDC dial calibrated for meters.  This scope is good for 50 to 700 meters according to the factory web site.  I'm thinking Smith Enterprise, Inc. for the rings.  I've got the scope mount already.  It is a Sadlak Industries tungsten coated titanium model.  

HTH
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We now have a lot of choices when it comes to stocks, scope mounts and optics for the M14 platform.  Serious bucks for serious tools require serious consideration.  I've never been in combat but I have slept at a Holiday Inn many times, seen the inside of a nuclear reactor while critical, and got good grades all the way from second grade through college. First grade was a challenge though.

One of my projects is to glass my Super Match M1A with my (NFA Registered) suppressor.  I'm planning on 168 grain match grade ammunition since the barrel is not chambered for the M118LR cartridge.  My choice for glass is the Leupold & Stevens, Inc. 3-9x36mm MR/T M3 illuminated reticle with the 168 grain BDC dial calibrated for meters.  This scope is good for 50 to 700 meters according to the factory web site.  I'm thinking Smith Enterprise, Inc. for the rings.  I've got the scope mount already.  It is a Sadlak Industries tungsten coated titanium model.  

HTH

what makes your rifle not chambered for the m118lr ammo??  never heard someone say that before.  

IMO  i would choose the smithenterprise mount over the arms...... because the users ive talked to that own the arms 18 mount say that.  the rounds get caught by the top of the mount and end up not ejecting.   i have shot numerous rounds throught my #2006 SE mount and not had a sigle problem.   i shoot SA, aussie, and m118, m118lr ammo(from ammoman)
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#44]
cruze5, you're right.  Some folks have cases get stuck with the new (full rail) style ARMS # 18 mount.  In that case, an easy first fix is to replace the ejector spring.  My two top choices for M14 scope mounts, Smith Enterprise and Sadlak Industries.

Well, M118LR ammunition was developed in 1997 AFAIK.  My Super Match M1A pre-dates 1997.  So, the commercial Springfield Armory would not be able to finish ream the barrel on my M1A to a 175 grain cartridge that did not exist when it was built in 1990.  I could shoot M118LR ammunition but I don't want to accelerate the wear on the trigger pin, hammer pin and connector lock.  If I want to shift to 175 grain ammunition I'll have my Crazy Horse barrel installed at Smith Enterprise.  They have a M118LR chamber reamer.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I want to thank everybody for their input and valuable information. It was greatly appreciated. At this point, I'm leaning toward a new "Loaded Standard" and change the necessary parts out. Then change the other parts as I have the money or when they break.

But then I might wait for the next big gun show and try to find one in like new condition with most of the parts already changed to USGI. It just depends how long I can fight the urge off to get one.

Once again thanks for the info fellas.

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I have one with only a HR barrel and everything else SAI. Have put around 2000 rounds through it and am very happy with it. Very accurate rifle. 2 MOA with quality surplus ammo. If I had to do it again, I would not hesitate to go with a SAI factory rifle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:07:37 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
At this point, I'm leaning toward a new "Loaded Standard" and change the necessary parts out. Then change the other parts as I have the money or when they break.

This is what I did; it's a great way to start.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Is there a rule of thumb regarding serial numbers and SA MIA's?  That is, can you tell by the serial number  roughly when a rifle was made?  I've always wanted an M1A but have been distracted by HK91's, MG34's and MP5's.  I am now looking for an M1A and don't know how to go:  look for a used, older one, go new made, or go LRB  or Fulton
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Copy and paste this link into your browser:

http://www.ambackforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27362
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Copy and paste this link into your browser:

http://www.ambackforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27362

Wow.   Thank you!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top