Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2005 4:56:17 PM EDT
Anyone have any idea how much a SA and a Marlin M1 barrel are worth? TE of 3, clean muzzle, in cosmoline.

Also a M1 stock/wood set, pretty good shape, No big gouges, with cartouche. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#1]
the cmp *was* selling new criterion 4140 barrels for 165.00 in the box.  

if it's got a TE of 3, i would not give over 100 bucks for it.  why?  why would anyone except a competitive shooter swap out a relatively new barrel?  maybe it's bent?  did you check the muzzle wear or check for gouges and nicks?  

also, the cmp is selling newly manufactured stock sets for garands that are beautiful, made of american black walnut, and fit absolutely *perfectly* on a garand.  120.00 plus shipping.  brand damned new.  i got one and it looks super on the winchester.  

if the stock is in good shape, i'd say 75 bucks.  if it's a rare stock with even rarer markings from an inspector general who only lasted a month, or something like that, it could be worth more to you than a "used stock".  i am not qualified to make that call, and won't BS you by leading you to believe i can.  

garands are neat rifles.  some of them are quite collectible. check out the auction page of the cmp.  they've got an 03A3 sniper rifle w/scope up now for like, $3.5k+...  way too pricey for my blood.  that's serious gun collecting, and an arena where you could easily get burned by outbidding others without knowing the profit potential.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#2]
i gave $90 for a marlin barrel 4-5 years ago,
like new off a CMP gun, guy didn't want it because he thought it wasn't correct
(IIRC it was according to Duff's book)

if you are thinking of selling your stock, check out ebay, the prices fluctuate based on cartouches etc
a lot of barrels have sold off ebay also
hth.

edited to add,
douglas also sells new barrels in the same price range as criterion

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:57:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, guess they ain't worth that much. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#4]
M1 Marlin barrels were replacement barrels. Most were installed post WWII as part of a general overhaul. They have no collector value. Shooter value only. Personally, I would give more for a VAR Danish barrel than a Marlin, condition being the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top