Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 2:52:11 PM EDT
I am having difficulty removing the operating rod from my rifle.  It is a Fulton Armory receiver.  I don't want to force it (the op rod) off because I am afraid I might damage the rod or the receiver.  I am in the correct notch so that is not it.  Any advice?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you ever done it before?

1. Remove trigger assembly.
2. Remove stock.
3. Remove Operating Spring and Operating Spring Guide.
4. Holding the rifle by the barrel, grasp the Operating Rod handle
   and draw reward, applying pressure both upwards and away from the reciever.

It should come right off. The real trick is getting it back together.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a couple that just really didn't want to come undone.  If you tap them with the heel of your hand, they'll usually just pop right on out.  Not too hard, just a good tap.

Good news is if it's tight like that, it's really unlikely to dismount while you're shooting.  That's a problem some people have had.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:49:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Have you ever done it before?

1. Remove trigger assembly.
2. Remove stock.
3. Remove Operating Spring and Operating Spring Guide.
4. Holding the rifle by the barrel, grasp the Operating Rod handle
   and draw reward, applying pressure both upwards and away from the reciever.

It should come right off. The real trick is getting it back together. hr

The rifle was just put together this year.  I have taken it all the way down to the operating rod removal which I have been unsuccessfull.  Too tight.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've had a couple that just really didn't want to come undone.  If you tap them with the heel of your hand, they'll usually just pop right on out.  Not too hard, just a good tap.

Good news is if it's tight like that, it's really unlikely to dismount while you're shooting.  That's a problem some people have had.  

I will keep trying.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I has to use a flat head screw driver to get the oprod off my m14
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I has to use a flat head screw driver to get the oprod off my m14

I've had to do that too on a new M1A and had to put back together by tapping it in with a rubber mallet.

It will loosen up over time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#7]
On op rods like these, I have the best luck by clamping the receiver in a padded vise.  Find the notch and pull both up and out.  Some are a bitch when new.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Drew- you might want to try this-

Disassemble per the instructions
eihter clamp the receiver in a padded vise or place on a a flat hard sruface receiver up-right
move the op rod back to the notch
place a pad on the top of the receiver (small towel, etc.) between the sight and the clip guide
insert a flat blade screw driver from the left hand side, (boltstop), into the inside of the area where the bolt roller engages.
Lift up and out on the op rod with your right hand using the screw dirver to provide leverage lift up and out from the left.

Its worked every time for me.
HTH
Jackal
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
On op rods like these, I have the best luck by clamping the receiver in a padded vise.  Find the notch and pull both up and out.  Some are a bitch when new.

More like a complete and utter WHORE!!!  albeit an very high priced one....  I have chucked the action, wrapped the charging handle in several layers of ducts tape and then used channel locks to provide the twisting action required to get the filthy whore out of the track....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top