Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 3:41:05 PM EDT
A local gun shop has a nice M1 Garand. Here's the details. I was wondering what it's worth.

1. Springfield Armory serial number number indicates 1944 manufacture date
2. Possibly a Arsenal rebuild--barrel date 1951--gun is all matching gray parkerizing except for one stock/barrel band, which looks to be shiny black.
3. Looks unfired after arsenal rebuild-99% condition
4. Bore is mint
5. Stock is very light in color. Looks like a light color wood that was stained (looks original). Stock has a "P" stamp on bottom of pistol grip. That's the only markings I could find on the stock. Stock is near mint condition.
6. I'm concerned with the fact that the front sight assembly is slightly canted to the left, like the barrel was screwed past point of center. The sight is not bent and the sight assembly cannot be repositioned by loosening the gas plug assembly. I am concerned it may be a homebuilt gun by this error in assembly.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
... the M1 Garand has a pistol grip?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What do you call that thing right behind the trigger guard on the bottom of the stock?

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you call that thing right behind the trigger on the bottom of the stock?

www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/images/garand.jpg

Not this.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you call that thing right behind the trigger on the bottom of the stock?

Not this.

www.csmetall-werkes.com/images/pistol-grip.jpg

I need to start posting my questions after 10PM when all the kiddies are in bed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not this.

www.csmetall-werkes.com/images/pistol-grip.jpg

I need to start posting my questions after 10PM when all the kiddies are in bed.

Back to your original question.

The bore may look mint, but what's the TE and MW?

With the problematic sight and barrel assembly I'd be leery. However, assuming the barrel gauges within acceptable standards, it'd be worth $425. Closer to $500 is the barrel and sight wasn't having issues.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Jesus H. Christ! The guy asks for some guidance and the "experts" show up arguing about a pistol grip. WTF is wrong with you people!?

Your stock sounds like a USGI Birch stock which was often used in post war rebuilds. Are there any other markings on the stock such as the DOD acceptance stamp on the left side near the receiver heel? As far as the front sight, is the gas cylinder loose? Whatever it is, it can probably be corrected with little cost. What is the asking prce for the rifle? A nice minty S.A. arsenal rebuilt M1 should sell between $650.00 to $750.00.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Jesus H. Christ! The guys asks for some guidance and the "experts" show up arguing about a pistol grip. WTF is wrong with you people!?

Your stock sounds like a USGI Birch stock which was often used in post war rebuilds. Are there any other markings on the stock such as the DOD acceptance stamp on the left side near the receiver heel? As far as the front sight, is the gas cylinder loose? Whatever it is, it can probably be corrected with little cost. What is the asking prce for the rifle? A nice minty S.A. arsenal rebuilt M1 should sell between $650.00 to $750.00.

I thought it was likely birch w/ some stain on it. There are no other marking on the stock except for that "P". At the store, I loosened the gas plug to see if I could reposition the front sight assembly, and I could not move it. The sight assembly is very tight in it barrel notch. The only way to correct the canting front sight would be to loosen the barrel out of the receiver. I would be concerned that this would alter the head-spacing. I find it hard to believe that Springfield Armory would be so sloppy on their assembly and this makes me think it's a homebuilt gun. The shop is asking $750
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Jesus H. Christ! The guys asks for some guidance and the "experts" show up arguing about a pistol grip. WTF is wrong with you people!?

I have too agree with Sukebe. .. You normaaly paid less for one through CMP . But when they hit the market prices normally went up. I got all 5 of mine through CMP.  Good luck on a great piece of History. I swear them Garands have a sole and speak to me every so often.  WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A big +1. Seems like there's a lot of this crap going around, I guess this is the kind of shit you do to 'build your post count'.

What makes it even funnier is that not only did his comment add ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the discussion, but it's FACTUALLY INCORRECT. That particular section of the Garand stock really IS called the 'pistol grip'.

Not so smart now, eh?

Now back to the question...I personally wouldn't pay over $300-400 for it since you can get a USGI rack grade from the CMP for $350 and I can almost guarantee you the sight base won't be canted.

Without actually measuring the throat and muzzle erosion it's hard to say if it's really 'mint' or not. Certainly a lot of unknowns to pay more than $400 when you have a better alternative through the CMP.

A better forum to ask technical questions might be here www.odcmp.org/new_forum/ or the Garand forum on this site.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A big +1. Seems like there's a lot of this crap going around, I guess this is the kind of shit you do to 'build your post count'.

What makes it even funnier is that not only did his comment add ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the discussion, but it's FACTUALLY INCORRECT. That particular section of the Garand stock really IS called the 'pistol grip'.

Not so smart now, eh?

Now back to the question...I personally wouldn't pay over $300-400 for it since you can get a USGI rack grade from the CMP for $350 and I can almost guarantee you the sight base won't be canted.

Without actually measuring the throat and muzzle erosion it's hard to say if it's really 'mint' or not. Certainly a lot of unknowns to pay more than $400 when you have a better alternative through the CMP.

A better forum to ask technical questions might be here www.odcmp.org/new_forum/ or the Garand forum on this site.

+1 on the crappy reply.  I concur that it is called a pistol grip.  I believe we call this being a troll.  The intentions were wrong along with the information.  That's a crying shame.  

Now about the rifle.  Somethings wrong with the way the gas cylinder is attached if it's canted.  I think it's high any way you look at it.  But most garand at most gun stores are if you compare them to the CMP.  If you want a garand and you can do the cmp.  Do it.  You wont regret it.  www.odcmp.com  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top