Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 6:54:02 AM EDT
I was at a local gunshop today and I found a Springfield Armory M1 Garand with a 297XXX serial number, and an August of 1944 barrel. It was selling for $999.00. My friend is a very enthusiastic M1 collector and said I should jump on this weapon. He said it is a great historical piece and a decent investment. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a lot more information needed on this rifle to justify the cost.. like..  Original finish? any cartouches on the stock? what revision op rod? plus any other markings on the bolt, follower trigger group, shghts etc...... plus barrel wear (ie throat erosion and muzzle wear)
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The barrel looks to have decent rifling left and the throat and muzzle didn't have too much wear from our cursory inspection. The finish has probably been re-done. It had a greenish hue to it on the receiver, slightly off from the other parts. The markings as seen on the trigger guard and bolt were SA markings, but we couldn't crack the weapon open to check the internals. The stock had been replaced at some point, so the weapon has traded hands and probably been through a rebuild before...the '44 barrel is probably an even better judge of that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Based on your information, I think the price is on the high side.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I just spoke with the gentleman that works there and he'd take 925 for it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Stock USGI Garands will have different color parkerizing.  A reparkerized Garand will be be unifed in the parkerizing color.  Chances are the rifle you spotted in the store is just a CMP rifle bought for around/under $500, then cleaned up and being sold at a mark up.  If you hit any one of the gun shows, there are a lot of dealers that do the same, a sell them cheaper that what your dealer is asking.

If you want cut out the middle man (dealer) you can order a garand direct from CMP ( www.odcmp.com) for around $500, then order a new Boyd replacement stock from midway ( www.midwayusa.com) for around $80.  If you want a more thinner USGI profile stock, then CMP is selling them for just over a $100.  Worst case is the parkerizing is on the rubbed raw side for the CMP service grade rifle, and Warbird ( users3.ev1.net/~hd80/Warbird.HTM) charges around $100 to reparkerize the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont think you guys are taking into account the production date of the weapon. A 297,xxx SA M1 is an June-September 1941 Manufacture weapon. CMP or DCM weapons are not guaranteed beyond what make the receiver is. I'm willing to pay the $925 due to the rarity of the weapon from its production date.

Thanks for the advice, though guys
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Lockbar sites or no lockbar sites?

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I dont think you guys are taking into account the production date of the weapon. A 297,xxx SA M1 is an June-September 1941 Manufacture weapon. CMP or DCM weapons are not guaranteed beyond what make the receiver is. I'm willing to pay the $925 due to the rarity of the weapon from its production date.

Thanks for the advice, though guys

Yes that's true.  If it has a 44 barrel I have a hard time believing it's seen a rebuild, but I'm no expert.  What's the advantage of having a 41' over any other date?  If the parts aren't all correct, as far as MFG and time frame go, there's no advantage collector wise.  If they do match up to be an original, it does have collector value and would justify that price.  Otherwise if it's a mixmaster, it's a shooter and you're better off getting one throug the CMP.  My opinion.  Or if you don't want to wait and you like it.  That does have it's merits.  But you may be paying more for it than it's worth.  But people do that, it's ok.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#9]
If you like it, buy it. BUT, it sounds like it's just a typical mixmaster. I bought a 5 digit (made in 1941) for $500 from an individual. Shoots well and looks decent. I would have to want a Garand REAL bad to pay over $900 for it. Go with a CMP rifle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:18:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:01:25 AM EDT
[#11]
shogun,

The guys are giving you good advice here.....   Unless it is still original, or has a lot of it's original parts still on it, original wood and original metal finish...... there is nothing "rare" or "collectible" about a 6 digit M1 receiver in and of itself.   After all, there were over 900k 6 digit receivers made, about 16% of the entire production..... and all of them made from 1940 to about 1942.

If it's in overall good shape with a good bore, $700-$800 is MAX what it's worth, even in a gunshop or gunshow environment.  CMP sells the same type of 6 digit mixmaster M1's for $500 all the time.

Just my thoughts,
Swampy

Garands forever
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:29:29 AM EDT
[#12]
You guys brought up alot of good points, so I let this one go. I'll go ahead and look into CMP and hopefully can get my hands on one soon. Thanks again.

Billy
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just spoke with the gentleman that works there and he'd take 925 for it.

That's about 2X what you would pay for the same rifle through CMP.  It's possible to request a WWII rifle (no guarantee you'll get it, but they try to comply).
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#14]
order yourself a Dane.  These I believe are all WWII.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top