Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 2:20:24 PM EDT
I just bought one of the new CMP stock sets and just want to know if there is a way to install a rear handguard clip with out having to use the tool. I don't want to have to buy the tool for a one time only use, but I don't want to damage the handguard either. Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#1]
i was able to swap my handguard using circlip pliers. ask a mechanic if u can borrow a set.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Years ago I would twist a length of wire throught both holes in the bottom of the clip. Fix one wire ot a vise or other study, well anchored object. The other I would wrap and twist the end around a dowel rod, wooden rod of some sort and slowly pull the clip open while twisting the HG. Get the clip open enough to clear the left side then twist downward to clear the right side.

Take notice the right side(Op Rod side) of the clip is shorter and angled upwards.

Re install in the opisite manor, position right sideand open clip wide enough the clear the left sidethen ease into place.

Do this more than 5 times and you will see why the HG Pliers are a great investment.

Karsten
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#4]
If your talking about seperating and installing the clip from the handguard, the above have answered your question.

But if your talking about installing the handguard with the clip already installed, the tool is not necessary. Just insert the front of the h.g. into the barrel band, and gently snap the clip down over the rear of the barrel. The clip will just click into place.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Here you go......

Handguard metal
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Where are you at in Maryland?  I have a pair if you're nearby...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where are you at in Maryland?  I have a pair if you're nearby...

Thanks for the offer, but I tried it  Karsten's way and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the tips. Oh and BTW the stock is still thick like the Boyd's stocks. Especially noticible around the front band and ferrule with swivel. But for now looks as close to a "new walnut" stock as I'm gonna get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top