Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 4:08:47 PM EDT
I'm looking at ordering a CMP garand before the year's out. I'm just collecting paperwork right now. My question is this. I've read the CMP grading descriptions but would like to know some RECENT real world experiances with Rack, Field, and Service graded rifles. Those 3 fit my budget, I'm looking for a relativly accurate (i'm not shooting competition) gun that may need some REFINISHING / REPAIRING but not replacing of parts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Service grades have less throat and muzzle wear than the rack grades.  The rule of thought is that if the barrels are fresher, then the rest of the rifle must also be as well, but this is not the case in regards to the parkerizing, the stock,and even the condition of the bore it's self.

Having said that, the sevice grade rifles tend to have fresher parts, and for the most part, cleaner bore barrels, but the wood and the condition of the parkering is a total crap shot (read most of the service rifles seem to be armory rebuilds).

As for repairing, on all the models, they will function as is. If you have a problem with the rifle running, CMP will correct the problem for free.

Now to sum it all up since I did do a bit of tap dancing, the best bet is to go with a service grade rifle, buy a new replacement stock, and just have the rifle reparkerized by Warbird if your are going to use the rifle as a shooter and not a collector item.  If you plan it this way, then if the rifle shows up with good wood or clean parkerizing, then it's a bonus.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:13:21 AM EDT
[#2]
As with most everything else, spend as much as you can afford.  When I ordered my rifle I was able to afford the Service Grade.  I received a rifle in excellent condition (I'm a C&R collector so this term is relative).  I don't have a lesser grade to compare it to, but I am very happy with the rifle I received.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:44:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I am very happy with my service grade, even got a nice stock to boot.

BTW: I got this one about a month ago.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/jmarkma/M1.jpg

Damn fine lookin rifle you got there!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:12:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/jmarkma/M1.jpg

My Greek service Grade was A1 too.

Fifteen minutes after arrival.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I have always been told to go service grade on the first. I did and it was great. Heck I did that for the second one too. Expext junky wood but the hardware willprobably be decent.

A great place for stocks to refinish is Dougs stockpile. he is on ebay and the web. I have bought a few and have goten better values in the auctions that direct from him.

search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZdougsstockpileQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

His descriptions are prestty good exept that Doug seems to have an ability to see acceptance stamps that are no longer visible.

JR

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Tagged...

I know this is off topic but I also need to get a Garand...  I don't belong to a CMP affiliated club at this time...  I understand that the CMP would accept a membership to the ...

www.garandcollector.org/

I need to get my application in and get an A2 stock and my DCM upper on a receiver and shoot a match so I can get one of these babbies...  My local clubes have a fair number of Garand Only Matches and I would love to go play with the big boys...

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Most State Rifle assns. count as an affiliated org. A great reason to join your state Org if you have not already. If you have.........all you need is "proof of maksmanship activity and that is a breeze.

JR
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Service grade looks like the way to go! I sent off my membership to the Garand Collecters Assoc. today. One more question: Will any other id work besides a birth certificate? That's my last hold-up, finding that one piece of paper! Thanks for the pics guys, those rifles look great; just what I was looking for!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered my service grade Greek monday. How long has the wait been recently? BTW I am in Anniston training this week. I wonder if they would let me just pick it up?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered a Greek service grade monday. Its my first. Does anyone know what the wait has been recently? Im in Anniston training this week. Iwonder if they will let me just pick it up?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]
i asked the same question all over the www when i made my first buy and everyone said get the service grade with a few reccomending the rack and field. i went against the grain and ordered a rack and a field and cosmeticly they look as good as the two pictured above. my theory was that i could get 2 for the price of 1 service and if anything i could turn around and sell it if unhappy. another thought is that youll probably have an easier time getting your $300 back than $500 if need be. i'll be buying another 2 or 3 and they wont be service grades. just another angle to think about.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#13]
mine took abot 3 or 4 weeks to process to my house
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Guys, looks like you both lucked out with good wood.
My last HRA service rifle came with a birch stock (deep grease/black dirt embedded), and walnut hand guards that look like a angry beaver was chewing on, then bet off with.  
On the positive note, the rifle was an armory rebuild and all the steel was dam near brand-new.

Quarterbore,
What the hell is this "A Garand"?  Ask anyone around here and you will be lucky to stop short of few rifles a year.  The whole do I need a 1903 seems to hold us up for a while on the next order, but the delaying order decision problem is often solved by just ordering the 1903 and a few more Garands well. I say just order the 1903a3 with the first garand right off the bat. You can add the standard 1903 with the next garand order
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Service grade looks like the way to go! I sent off my membership to the Garand Collecters Assoc. today. One more question: Will any other id work besides a birth certificate? That's my last hold-up, finding that one piece of paper! Thanks for the pics guys, those rifles look great; just what I was looking for!

you can also use a passport
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Here are my 2 USGI Springfield Armory Field grades.  As you can see they are quite different (in a good way).  One's Korean era (1953ish) other is WWII (Dec 1942) the Korean is VERY nice, nearly unused since the Red River Army Depot refurbed it in Oct. of '65.

I'm probably going to buy another USGI field grade by the end of the year..... I'm SOOOO hooked
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#17]
You guys are KILLING ME with these pics. I don't have a passport or a copy of my birth cert. but I sent off for a copy....four to six weeks according to the state of California. Its only been six days but it already feels like months!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top