Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 4:50:06 PM EDT
I'm reading up on the M-25 rifles, and how they had steel bedding/steel liners to retain zero when taken out and put back into the stock, as well as retain zero over the long term.

http://www.snipercentral.com/m25.htm

The more I read about the M-14 SAGE stock ( being aluminum ), the more I am convinced a steel liner in the stock would work - the concept is legit in my mind. What I would like to know, is if, when combined with the USMC type Supermatch stock ( as pictured in the photo ) with the steel liner, will it hold zero over the long term, or is my thinking just flawed logic?

Next, I was looking for cheap forged recievers, and I keep running across the Armscorp ones - how are these in quality to LRB recievers? Again, I would not want to stick a cast reciever or any cast parts into an M-14 type system. Forged all the way.

And lastly, has anyone here used a Garand or M-14 for deer? How did it work out? What kind of field accuracy were you getting, and what ammo did you use?

Cheers!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used my M-1A / M-14S on deer and hogs and it kills them just as dead as any 7.62 rifle!

Can be pretty heavy to tote along (especially up and down hills) if you go "Commando" with all the do-dads and such crap.

I use just a basic G.I. Fiberglass stock (no accuracy changes due to weather / water / whatever & if I scratch it up brush busting, well then a quick spritz of paint and "Good As New"

I see 2" or better groups out of my Chi Com Poly Tech all day long.  Much Better with certain ammo (I am fond of Federal Gold 165 boattail as it closely matches 168 match ammo but with better terminal effects at about 1.5" if I do my part.  For hunting, that is match accuracy - don't let someone tell you that sub 1" is a requirement for hunting - most guns shoot much better than the operators can ever use them "In The Field"!

If you want a GOOD forged receiver, you might want to buy a Poly Tech!!  Most of the U.S. receivers vary (some considerably !) from U.S.G.I. dimensions - oddly the Poly Techs are closest to USGI, they are Forged (not cast) and they are affordable!

Hope this helps!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]

I would not want to stick a cast reciever or any cast parts into an M-14 type system.

Why not?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, biggerhammer. I think you need a bigger hammer, no?

Heavy? HAHAHAHA. I personally believe that if your rifle is too heavy, you need to PT more.

Anyways, that's good to hear about the loads. I am a competitive shooter, so precision shooting is the norm for me, but I still would want something that follows the 168gr. BTHP trajectory. Even though you use the GI Fiberglass stock, I think I'll step my planning up and get the Supermatch synthetic. For good looks, the nice contour when used with a sling, and good looks.

Do you use optics? Just curious. I'm not sure if i'd need to scope it. I'll only be taking shots out to 250-300 yards or so, and a deer is a BIG target.

1. What barrel you use?
2. USGI parts?
3. How hard are these Polytech recievers to find?
4. Did they make any cast ones that I have to avoid?

And roadking, I just happen to prefer forged parts. Much stronger, much longer wearing. And with the quality of some cast gun parts coming out these days, I tend to shy away from them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Side note:

A deer is a big target. however, hitting the deer is no the objective. Killing the deer is not the objective. Killing it INSTANTLY is the objective. That requires performance. Bullet performance ( once it strikes), rifle performance ( putting that bullet where it needs to be), and shooter performance ( knowing where the bullets needs to be, being able to put it there, and knowing when NOT to shoot)

Now, back the regularly scheduled thread

BTW, you may want to get those flimsy cast brake rotors off of your car. They are liable to fly aprrt at any moment.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Next, I was looking for cheap forged recievers, and I keep running across the Armscorp ones - how are these in quality to LRB recievers? Again, I would not want to stick a cast reciever or any cast parts into an M-14 type system. Forged all the way.

Armscorp receivers are investment cast. The only "cheap" forged receivers are Polytech and Norinco...

armscorpusa.com/Products/info.htm
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to get off topic too much but what is a polytech in very good to excellent condition worth. I was at a local shop today and was checking one out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Token LRB Arms mention
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Token LRB Arms mention

Awesome receiver. just awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top