Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 6:20:42 PM EDT
Developed a crack at the heel of the receiver, you can just see it.  Also found one right next to the clip latch, of which I'm told this one is pretty common?  Just not sure what I want to do - get a new one (I saw the post with the CMP stock in it - very nice!) or find an old USGI one somewhere (ebay?) to keep that "old" feel to it.  All the parts on it are SA.

What do you all think, or have done in similar situations?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get a boyd stock (unfinished) and us it as your shootr stock.  Then take yoyr time and find a USGI stock for historical corectness.

I have a very nice original USGI cartouched garand stock for my M1, but don't shoot with that stock.  I have a tight fitting beater stock I use for shooting the M1.

Once those original stocks are damaged, they lose tremendous value, not worth the risk IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You should be able to reapir it, there was actaully a very good article in a recent GCA journal about the USGI Armorer method for repairing cracks, and one part included the heel crack.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Two words.

Gorilla Glue
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Two words.

Gorilla Glue

That is actaully what they mention in the CMP article.  That and using a special threaded "button"

I'll see if I can dig up the article and give a description of the method.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got an e-mail from CMP the other day offering up USGI stocks for sale.  They are advertised as great shape.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:08:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Add more charictor to the rifle and repair it.

The GCA did have a article about this, it included Gorilla glue, dental floss, clamps and brass screws.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.  I did see the article on fixing the heel crack using gorilla glue.  I may give it a shot.  But I'm thinking there's not much I can do about the crack at the clip latch, is there?

One other question, if I try to repair it with the glue, would you recommend stripping the stock down or even giving it the dishwasher treatment to get as much cosmo/grease out of it as possible?

Thanks!

Hoppy, how much were they asking for the stocks?

ETA: Now I'm really thinking about getting it cleaned up all the way.  I knew it had the circle-P at the handgrip, but underneath a strong light, while looking at the crack, I noticed I've got a square cartouche on the left side of the stock also.  Can't make out any details, though!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  I did see the article on fixing the heel crack using gorilla glue.  I may give it a shot.  But I'm thinking there's not much I can do about the crack at the clip latch, is there?

One other question, if I try to repair it with the glue, would you recommend stripping the stock down or even giving it the dishwasher treatment to get as much cosmo/grease out of it as possible?

Thanks!

Hoppy, how much were they asking for the stocks?

ETA: Now I'm really thinking about getting it cleaned up all the way.  I knew it had the circle-P at the handgrip, but underneath a strong light, while looking at the crack, I noticed I've got a square cartouche on the left side of the stock also.  Can't make out any details, though!

Check out the CMP stock sets link elsewhere in this section.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top