Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 9:59:45 PM EDT
so , i wanna get a double lugged action with an option to have the company possibly barrel it and bolt it with GI parts.  and possibly build me somethinig whole.  whats the best company/companies to check out first?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:00:31 AM EDT
[#1]
If your going for the standard USGI rifle/stock profile, the double lug receiver is a very hard fit, and requires the stock to be over sized for the lugs.

If the game plan is to just have a service type rifle, then the standard non-lugged receiver is your best option, and not a lugged match type unit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
As Dano says above- with a double lugged receiver, things change.
If you plan to remove the action from the stock with any regularity, or would like a GI profile stock with a stockliner, the double lugged receiver does not cut the mustard.
The only real justification of this type of receiver is if you are building a dedicated match rifle with an oversize stock, and you fieldstrip it once every couple of YEARS.
In my opinion, the double lugged receiver is not at all neccesary. Hard core match and military M21 systems with the standard configuration have been driving tacks for years.
Basically with the double lugged receiver, just about all your options are eliminated.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
the reason i ask bout the double lugs,  i was thinking bout throwing a mcmillan on her.  i want something adjustable so i can pick and choose optic styles.  i want to do some cometitive shooting out to around 500-700.  could a standard reciever drop into a mcmillan with enough stability?  and...  is the M21 double lugged or standard?
thanks in advance..
MicronuT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Tagged cuz I know nuffin' about building M1A's/M14's.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
M21's have been built both with and without the rear lug feature. The accuracy of the rifle is not determined by how many lugs it has, it is determined by the quality of the barrel/receiver/bolt fit and relationship, the bedding in the stock and the trigger. I have built these for clients and some have shot extremely well. The McMillan stock is the ONLY synthetic stock I will use for any rifle I build. No HS Precision, Browns, etc. The Marine Corps match M14's with synthetic stocks are McMillan. Hope this helps. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the reason i ask bout the double lugs,  i was thinking bout throwing a mcmillan on her.  i want something adjustable so i can pick and choose optic styles.  i want to do some cometitive shooting out to around 500-700.  could a standard reciever drop into a mcmillan with enough stability?  and...  is the M21 double lugged or standard?
thanks in advance..
MicronuT

SEI is building single lug Crazy Horse (SASS) rifles in GI synthetic stocks for
the military that are said to be good for 1000 yards with 3.5-10X Leupold optics.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
M21's have been built both with and without the rear lug feature. The accuracy of the rifle is not determined by how many lugs it has, it is determined by the quality of the barrel/receiver/bolt fit and relationship, the bedding in the stock and the trigger. I have built these for clients and some have shot extremely well. The McMillan stock is the ONLY synthetic stock I will use for any rifle I build. No HS Precision, Browns, etc. The Marine Corps match M14's with synthetic stocks are McMillan. Hope this helps. Charles the Gunsmith.  

have you built most of these around a "drop in, standard, single lugged" reciever with the mcmillans?  or single lugged, but bedded?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thanks in advance..
MicronuT

the military that are said to be good for 1000 yards with 3.5-10X Leupold optics.

you mean smith enterp. ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]

barrel it and bolt it with GI parts

This is the statement that you are throwing everyone off on.

USGI barrels are standard profiled and chromed line.  Add a USGI FS, and your not going to win any prizes in regards to groups size.

Question is are you building a USGI service type rifle or a Super match rifle?  The two are worlds apart from a parts used stand point.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
not really looking for super match quality, just want to use as much usgi parts as possible.  but i do want to change the stock out.  the range im looking to shoot would probably be bout 700 yrds max.  im not really sure if i have to bed a mcmillan stock at this point.. and if i do, will single, standard lug configuration be enough?  or would double be preferred?  im not really sure how much difference there is for my shooting purposes..   do i need supermatch quality.. ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#11]
i hope i am asking correctly, this is gona be my first M1A
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:10:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Dont build a parts gun, it will end up costing you alot more than buying outright.
You can find one with all USGI parts including a crome lined barrel for about 1000
If you are willing to look around.   If you are not satisfied with the accuracy, You can rebarrel
it and turn it into a NM later. Or Get one of each as I did , Having a second one saves your match barrel. and I agree mcmillan stocks are best for match rifles.
also about double lugged recievers, the only production company offering double lug reciever for sale is armscorp. springfield only has rear lugged recievers and has just started to tap them in the past few years so that they can be pillar bedded . Your other choice is a custom gunsmith to make and weld the lugs on.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:11:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
thanks in advance..
MicronuT

you mean smith enterp. ?

Yes. Smith Enterprise, Inc.

They just finished building one of THESE for me.
I should have it back the end of this month.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Micronut - I have built both single and double lugged M14's using the McMillan stock. Charles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I might be stepping on a few toes here- but 1911 builder stated it correctly, in that the barrel/ bolt/ receiver interface really dictates the outcome.
the "lugged" terminology was initiated by industry and not the military, so there might be a variation, but as far as my experience goes-
"Rearlugged" = additional protruding lugs rearward of the standard M14 lugs, in the vicinity of the rearsight.
"Doublelugged"= in addition to the above mentioned lugs, an additional protrusion at the barrel to receiver junction.
The above variances to the standard M1A/ M14 receiver will not be the deciding factor in the rifles accuracy potential. The additional "lugs" were originally conceived to introduce more receiver to bedding contact.
In my opinion, you would not be harming anything by purchasing a "doublelugged" receiver, but in reality, you might not be helping anything with one either.
Your scopemount (Smith Enterprises- BPT- Mcann) will have more of an effect on 700 meter accuracy than the doublelugged receiver ever will (if the rifle is built badass).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top