Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 5:39:16 PM EDT
I checked all 5 pages and didn't see anything so here is a link:
CMP M14 Petition
Sounds like a good plan if it every happened.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't that a Clinton thing, when they banned the surplus ammo sales to citizens too?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
theyve all been band sawed, torched or given away to foriegn countries. the CMP has emphatically stated that even if there were M14s to give away (which there arent) they would not do it because of the expense and difficulty of permanently disabling the FA capability. plus the ATF has repeatedly ruled "once a machine gun, always a machine gun"

the Army started pulling M14s out of the armory at West Point and the Marines took back M14s from ROTC programs and the RTE shop at quantico for fielding in AFG. there simply arent warehouses full of M14s anymore. where do you think Fred gets his M14 stocks. every stock at Freds was once on a rifle that got destroyed.

all together now "THAAAANK YOU BILLLL CLINTON"
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I checked all 5 pages and didn't see anything so here is a link:
CMP M14 Petition
Sounds like a good plan if it every happened.

22485 Total Signatures +1

TAG
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
CMP IS NOT GOING TO SELL MACHINEGUNS, LET ALONE ONES THAT WERE NEVER ON THE NFA REGISTRY.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
M14 US issue rifles are all classed as machineguns because they all are capable of full auto fire. Some have had the disconnector or selector removed, however the ATF has deemed, "once a machinegun, always a machinegun" as thier policy. It wasn't Clinton that put that out.

Clinton did the ammo thing and started sawing up all the surplus M14's. I heard they were doing up to 100,000 per week until Congress put a stop to it.

The gov has never been big on releasing surplus machineguns to the public at large. What a shame. Some really nice arms are sent to the smelter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#6]
M14's can't be sold to the civvie market and the military doesn't have M1A's.  End of story.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Rumor has it that Springfield Armory inc is selling M1As. It may be worth a few minutes of your time to investigate it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]
signed
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#10]
This petition is a NO GO, Gentlemen.  Orest Michaels at CMP addressed this in an e-mail to board member azski in 2003.  

From my book M14 Rifle History and Development

"Ignore the Petition to Sell the M14!

Ignore any petition regarding public sales of M14 rifles.  Orest Michaels, Chief Operating Officer for the U. S. Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), stated in a June 17, 2003 e-mail message to a member of the Internet discussion board www.battlerifles.com: that 1) the U. S. Army has no surplus M14 rifles to sell 2) no M14 rifles are being destroyed and none have been destroyed for almost ten years 3) CMP may not want to or may not be allowed to get involved if such a program existed anyway because the M14 is considered a machine gun.  A petition to this effect occasionally surfaces in various e-mail messages and Internet discussion groups, but is filled with outdated information."  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:12:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
May as well petition for release of the Iowa Class BBs.  

-- Chuck

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#14]
This was actually in the works. But, it died with the 68 GCA.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rumor has it that Springfield Armory inc is selling M1As. It may be worth a few minutes of your time to investigate it.

Link.

link

springfield's web page
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Can they fire a shell the 45 miles from Lake Ontario to the range in Syracuse? I bet I win the next CMP match if they do!

uhhhh, Aimless, you DO realize this isn't the poofy AR10 forum, don't you?

And with your cross-firing skillz, I'd predict you'd take out Greenfield if aiming for Otisco. Right in the 10 ring, though!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can they fire a shell the 45 miles from Lake Ontario to the range in Syracuse? I bet I win the next CMP match if they do!

uhhhh, Aimless, you DO realize this isn't the poofy AR10 forum, don't you?

And with your cross-firing skillz, I'd predict you'd take out Greenfield if aiming for Otisco. Right in the 10 ring, though!  

Am I missing something?  Did Aimless go clean on one of his last HP shoot positions, only to find it was on the guys target next to him?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Sadly, the 10 ring hits were few and far between on his actual target. But he is hell for accurate when he dials in the adjacent 10 ring

I cringe at the day he finally outshoots me and my M1A in one of these matches...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#20]
It would be nice if they would offer barrels, bolts and op-rods though. would these three parts constitute "constructive posession"?  i doubt it considering the early SA rifles(like mine) were built with GI parts. from Different's post it appears there are no more to de-mill anyhow though.l
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It would be nice if they would offer barrels, bolts and op-rods though. would these three parts constitute "constructive posession"?  i doubt it considering the early SA rifles(like mine) were built with GI parts. from Different's post it appears there are no more to de-mill anyhow though.l

they did offer several parts as recently as a few years ago,,

if you really want to shoot a 14, there may be a few in some state rifle teams inventory,
join one and find out!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#22]
This post is such a waste.  This petition comes around every year or so.  Don't you think that if it was that easy to get them to sell the M14's, someone would have done it by now?  

People, find something better to do.  ATF would need some sort of order or court ruleing from higher up to make that happen.  Besides, the army was haveing a hard time finding M14's for use in iraq.  It's not like they have M14's just sitting around
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

One would think they would be inclined to believe the military would hold onto any M14 parts they have at this point to support the hundreds of M14s that have been issued in recent years as DMRs.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They used to offer these when they still existed.  I bought several trigger groups, bolts, etc., from them.

Sadly, there are no more M14s to be had.  They're all gone, and this petition won't bring them back.  

ETA:  Obviously, there are ones currently in use.  The vast majority of them were lend-leased to Lithuania, Latvia, and Bosnia or met their fate at Captain Crunch.  ODCMP doesn't stock spare parts for them anymore, either...  Looks like they're out of M1 parts, too - probably to get the last of the M1s ready for sale...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
there do you think Fred gets his M14 stocks. every stock at Freds was once on a rifle that got destroyed.

bu-but I have a stock from Fred's!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#26]
If I recall correctly CMP did sell a few M-14 parts at one time...not too long back either, like the trigger groups.  The military took them all back when they started to see the need for the M14 again due to recent action.  

What is sad about the Fred's Stocks is that they have so many that are like new condition, so you know the rifles must have been equally new.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top