# 5
# 6
# 7
# 8
# 9
# 10
# 11
# 12

I've been wanting one of these baby's for a while now and now finally it's all mine ! I picked it up for 1300.00 OTD with the 3 GI mags shown... I do not know if it was a deal or not but what the hell.... that's water under the bridge... It is a "pre-ban" NM, glass bedded 7.62 shooter .... The rifle has hardly been shot, under 50 rounds is what I was told and most likely pretty close to the truth...

I'm going to be asking for some help with getting familiar with this rifle, alot of "How to" stuff," What do I need to know ", " What do I have to have first "  ?? I would like to thank everybody here in advance !

1) What is the best book I can buy on this rifle ( takedown, function, etc.. ) ?

2) Can you suggest some websites where I can do some reading ?

3) Can you suggest some websites that offer parts, TOOLS, accessories, mags, etc...

4) I haven't looked yet but does Springfield have a #SN check to see the build date ???

I'm so happy I could piss my pants .....  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the Maintenance Shop forum at www.rifle-company.com and also spend some time at www.m14forum.com and my site www.imageseek.com/m1a  Also, there's a free Army M14 manual download in the Maintenance Shop forum at Rifle Company.com.  I've posted a Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A born on serial number database at www.ambackforum.com in the M14/M1A forum and at www.warrifles.com M14 Talk forum and in the Knowledege Base forum at www.m14forum.com Congratulations!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Go to the Maintenance Shop forum at www.rifle-company.com and also spend some time at www.m14forum.com and my site www.imageseek.com/m1a  Also, there's a free Army M14 manual download in the Maintenance Shop forum at Rifle Company.com.  I've posted a Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A born on serial number database at www.ambackforum.com in the M14/M1A forum and at www.warrifles.com M14 Talk forum and in the Knowledege Base forum at www.m14forum.com Congratulations!

Different,  Man, you are like EF Hutton..., when you post, ppl listen!  Great info.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
what kind of mag is that, that goes from the bottom of the receiver THROUGH the top??  

heheheheeeeee
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You've heard of dual exhaust, that's dual intake.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You've heard of dual exhaust, that's dual intake.

That was good.......

Nice set up Aahhyes68
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Good looking rifle, but Photo 10 bothers me a bit.

You should really pull the hand guard and shorten it just a hair (or just lock it forward).  The hand guard shouldn't touch the receiver, and if needed, a dab of accuglass on the back side barrel band to barrel lock points will keep the hand gaurd from shifting back and making contact with the receiver over time (read you want the hand guard to flow/move with the barrel under recoil, and not be a pressure point).
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm so happy I could piss my pants .....  

That's pretty happy!

Great rifle!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#8]
nice rifle, make sure you stock up on the surplus
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If he runs surplus threw that rifle, trust me, there will a group of us showing up as hit door to take the gun away from him.  The rifle will produce MOA groups running Fed Match Gold, or even better hand loaded, hence the reason that you spend the extra money on buying/building a NM rig.
(read just because your ugly sister agrees to have sex with you, still doesn't make it right )
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he runs surplus threw that rifle, trust me, there will a group of us showing up as hit door to take the gun away from him.  The rifle will produce MOA groups running Fed Match Gold, or even better hand loaded, hence the reason that you spend the extra money on buying/building a NM rig.
(read just because your ugly sister agrees to have sex with you, still doesn't make it right )

i shoot surplus through mine . I get excellent groups with black hills 175, M118, m118lr,  m118lrPD, m852, should i go on.  i should have said surplus match ammo my bad
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#11]
All of the ammo you just listed is fairly new production, and not 20 year old surplus ammo with questinable cases that could seperate and do damage to the NM barrel. Plus, looking at your stock liner screw, you are not running a NM rig, and my guess a Chrome lined USGI barrel.

Aahhyes68, on the other had is running a Med weight NM barrel (read good for around 2500 rounds before it starts to go south), and the stock is glass/steel bedded so pulling the the action out of the stock to clean up behind bullet sealer/primer solvent  on any kind of regular bases is just going to break the bedding down way too quick (read you have to beat the action out of the stock, and if it get loose enough to pull by hand, it's time to rebed).

To put it bluntly, Once I glass in a action, the action stays in the wood until it's time to rebed it again (read a full year on the lines).  The last thing that I want to do during that year is even think about pulling the action, and running ammo that will cause/require such (read bullet/primer sealant fouling ), just makes me twitch (read loosing the action to the stock, and have to go back and redue the bedding since it's just way so fun each and every time).  

Bottom line is for less than $300 (buying all the compents including brass), I can reload better than Fed gold match 168 ammo in 1k lots for my 30 cal rifles, and when buying/shooting a NM target rifle, small groups are where it's at (read MOA or better). If you can find surplus/current produced  ammo cheaper than the $300 marks that will print under MOA in your rifle, you have all of the rest of beat by a mile.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Is that what is meant by more thrusts per squeeze?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is that what is meant by more thrusts per squeeze?

No, I like to think of it as dotting the same "I" over and over again in the very same place each time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top