Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 7:09:58 PM EDT
Ok, I am planning on purchasing a rack grade Garand from CMP.  I basically want a garand for future restortion and target shooting.  Good or bad choice of CMP grade.  Help needed for a Garand beginner.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are planning on replacing the barrel and the wood in your restoration then the rack grade is a good way to go. I based my .308 Garand build on a rack grade Greek. If you are planning on keeping and using the original barrel then a service grade is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I got 2 rack grade Greeks several months ago.

One is a '43 SA and the other is a '54 HRA.  Both had servicable wood, which after some more work may turn out really great, but as of now they just show a bit of history.  The '43 even has the original stock cartouches and all.  Both had muzzles that were a bit beat up, but that was fixed by Hook Boutin with one turn of a tool he happened to have handy.

The throat erosion on both is a 2!!!!, bright clean rifling, and the Springer still has the original barrel.  I have no idea how it's in such good shape.  Also the SA has all the right numbers for a correct grade, including an uncut op-rod.  I have set that op-rod aside and have gotten another to use in the gun, lest it develop a stress crack.

Needless to say I'm tickled with my Greek Rackers.  They both shoot well and will be worthy of passing on to my daughters.

That being said... rack grade rifles are a crap shoot, from all that I've read.  I guess all I can say is that I got lucky.

Cabby
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you are planning on replacing the barrel and the wood in your restoration then the rack grade is a good way to go. I based my .308 Garand build on a rack grade Greek. If you are planning on keeping and using the original barrel then a service grade is the way to go.

Couldn't have said it better!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Got one of the Greek Rack grades back in Nov before the grading system was changed. Very happy with what  I received. An Aug of '43 Springfield. Barrel wasn't real bad, but the muzzle was kind of rough from cleaning. Just so happens that I shipped it to Tim Strait today to have my CMP  Criterion barrel installed.  This is my first M1 and it is really a blast to shoot
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Tim does good work. You will like the result. I sent my RG Greek to him with a no-name .308 barrel and a few new parts (op-rod, gas cylinder, etc.). He rebarreled and reparked and placed it in the Wenigs walnut stock set that I finished myself. Here is the result:

The first 24 rounds through it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#7]
John, Nice looking rifle there!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top