Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 5:39:50 PM EDT
I've noticed that no one seems to be talking about Springfield's latest rifle- the Socom 2.  No one seems to be too excited about it.  Last year when the Socom 16 came out, it was the hot, hard to find ticket.  But now, when I look around gunbroker and davidson's, I see a glut of Socoms, not really selling, while the other models, especially Scouts, are in short supply.  Davidson's has "99+" Socom 16's in stock.  They almost always have 0 standard and loaded models, because they apparently sell them rather quickly.  

Am I the only one who thinks the demand for a short barrelled M1A might not be as great as SA originally thought?  I'm not knocking the gun, or the people who bought them, but I tend to think that a lot of M1A fans are traditionalists...which makes me think that the Socom 2 is going to be as well recieved as a fart in church.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Huh? I just counted like eleven threads in the five pages of this section with Socom in the title. Not to mention the ones that are not mentioned in the title. Plenty of people talking about them I think.

You do have a point though,  most of us are traditionalists to a degree, and the real short '14s are a niche market. Seems to be a lot of us discovering, or even re-discovering the Bush/Scout size rifles lately, which for civilian use might just be the ideal all around M1A. Add the fact that the Socom is marketing hype, and not a copy of something our favorite high speed low drag guys are using, like M4geries, and you do come up with a limited market.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Just my oppinion but I think the SOCOM was a niche carbine attempt to win over more of the AR crowd to the M1A platform.

Most that buy the Socom are either new M14/M1A buyers or folks that already have/had at least one Standard or Scout/Bush rifle and the Socom was bought for a added fun.

I have seen more than a few post here and there where a SOCOM was someones 1st M1A and tha rant and rave how happy they were only to see the same riflr in a WTT SOCOM for Scout/Bush the next week.

Myself I am happy with my Standard SA M1A.

Karsten
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
did anyone even get Socom 2 s yet
are they a myth as I never see them for sale
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I too am a traditionalist.  I stick with my full size M1A.

Thats just me.

Max
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I have not seen the II in person yet but I
have seen a few print ads for it in the rags.

The current glut of SOCOM's could result in
some sweet deals for those that shop around.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for standard w/ wood for the first M1A/M14
+100 for bush length w/ synthentic for the rule of twos

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:31:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I am definitely a traditionalist, especially when it comes to the M1A. If I wanted a shorter .308, I'd just get an FAL carbine.

Seeing M14s and standard M1As with the walnut stocks makes me perk right up. I love 'em.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
For me, it is a solution looking for a problem. First, I don't see a reason to cut a 308 rifle down to 16 inches. It is like putting a parachute on a Ferrari. You lose so much velocity that you may as well have an AK for a lot less money and weight. Second, there is the cost. $1300 to $1400 for a SOCOM is ridiculous when a rifle that will perform as well or better can be had for $500 to $600 ( F A L) Third, magazines. F A L mags are less than $10 and AK mags less then $20.  M14 magazines worth having are $25 or better.

To each his own, but I am like Ray Charles. I just can't see it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:20:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, the 18" Scout/Bush rifle is the better choice.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been pricing a SOCOM for some time now, and each and every single one of the gun shops I've contacted within a sixty mile radius (maybe a dozen at this point) has stated that they're really hard to keep on the shelves for long.  The caveat is that I'm in California, so there's really no competition from the AR15 in this neck of the woods in terms of mid-range personal defense rifle market (I've only seen one FAB-10--and it was half again more expensive than the SOCOM).

The rifle is attractive, has a fairly decent amount of media coverage, and comes from a fairly well-established name in the industry.  I think that it's doing pretty well.

That said, the SOCOM II seems like something of a gross overreaction to a perceived demand for more rail real-estate.  It weighs so much more than it has to considering its likely target market (LEOs and civilians).  Not many from those two groups are going to be mounting PEQs and VFGs, methinks...  That is, however, just my opinion and not really based on any actual data.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]

The SOCOM is a very sweet shooting purpose built rifle.  I've a Standard and a Loaded, and I generally like them better, but the SOCOM has its place, and is a very solid performer.  MV loss is negligible and not even worth mentioning...

I had a Bush rifle but sold it.  I never did like the in-between barrel length.  It shot well enough, but it looked pretty stupid...like someone made a mistake and forgot to include 4" of the barrel...

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#12]
All you need is one little 2 inch rail segment Devcon'd into your synthetic stock for either a taclight or ARMS32 qd bipod mount.  As for a scope, use an ARMS18 (if you can get it to fit on your SA, and you can) or an SEI (Brookfield clone).  I have the Brookfield on my big M25 clone and the ARMS low mount on my chopped Scout.  My whole purpose in the Scout was because my M25 with McMillan stock, med weight Douglas barrel, LRM3 Leupold, Badger rings, and Brookfield is a HEAVY BASTARD to hump through the brush.  All that stuff hanging off an M14 clone is going to make it HEAVY, thus destroying the rationale for chopping down an M14 clone.   Get a Scout and chop the LOP and keep your 18".  KISS is a wonderful (and light) thing!

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the MInnesota Team Members has one, and I wasnt too impressed with it

I like the Traditional 22" best
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#14]
The SOCOM16 is a more-modern scout rifle - practical, only a little out-dated.
The SOCOM2 is an uber-tactilicious M14 clone - impractical, very out-dated; just get an AR10 / BAR10 and trick that out. The SOCOM2 will not sell, the SOCOM16 will continue to sell.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

you can say it. I have to send it back dammit
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you can say it. I have to send it back dammit

It is a nice rifle, I just felt bad for you that it will not run 100%
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll  take the Standard.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I love my SOCOM, I love me NM, I love my loaded.  I have named them Glinda, The Maharinces, and Berlin Betty.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm pretty happy with mine. It's loud as a mofo, but it shoots well. I'm still in the process of breaking it in, and sometimes get hangups. Sure, there are cheaper .308 rifles out there, but the reason I bought mine was for the off chance that the CG might station me in California or some other non-friendly state. That would mean that I'd have to leave about 60% of my collection behind.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sure, there are cheaper .308 rifles out there, but the reason I bought mine was for the off chance that the CG might station me in California or some other non-friendly state. That would mean that I'd have to leave about 60% of my collection behind.

That is a very good point. My military service took place before all of this "assault weapons ban" BS took place.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#21]
A guy had one at the range the other day with an aimpoint on it and it was in a wood stock.  GI type.  It looked real nice.  And you know what, it feels like it weighs half of what my dad's loaded weighs.  I don't see why you guys have a hang up with it.  It's not the original.  I like the looks of the 22" but looks and usefulness are 2 different things.  Just think of it as a brush gun on steroids.  So what if you lose velocity.  If you're telling me it's not as deadly, I'd have to say you're not really thinking it through.  Now it might not be as useful out to 600 yards, but I'm bettin most people don't shoot their standards out that far either.  I'm sure some do but not most.  To each his own though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
A guy had one at the range the other day with an aimpoint on it and it was in a wood stock.  GI type.  It looked real nice.  And you know what, it feels like it weighs half of what my dad's loaded weighs.  I don't see why you guys have a hang up with it.  It's not the original.  I like the looks of the 22" but looks and usefulness are 2 different things.  Just think of it as a brush gun on steroids.  So what if you lose velocity.  If you're telling me it's not as deadly, I'd have to say you're not really thinking it through.  Now it might not be as useful out to 600 yards, but I'm bettin most people don't shoot their standards out that far either.  I'm sure some do but not most.  To each his own though.

Well, the thing is, if you're going to use this gun as it was intended-as a CQB weapon, you'd better find a way to silence it if you plan to use it inside a building...  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#23]
SOCOM? No thanks; if I want a 30 caliber CQB machine, I'll take a paratrooper SKS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top