Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 1:11:45 PM EDT
When will the CMP run out of garands? I have a SA service grade now but of course I want another one. But right now I am saving for a M-14 clone. So it may be a couple of years before I come up with the scratch to buy another garand but I am afraid they might all be gone by then. It sucks having an insatiable hunger to buy more guns on a meager income. I know,  patients is the key.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#1]
dont know but im glad i snagged an H&R when they had them, i plan to buy another 2 or 3 pretty soon. i have 2 field grades and am happy with the conditions.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully not for a while!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]
It makes zero difference if the CMP runs out of Garands, there are zillions of Garands out there. They will always be on gunshow tables. The only difference is that it wont be a major pain in the ass to buy them like it is from the CMP.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It makes zero difference if the CMP runs out of Garands, there are zillions of Garands out there. They will always be on gunshow tables. The only difference is that it wont be a major pain in the ass to buy them like it is from the CMP.

Good luck with them prices at gunshows.  The CMP rocks.  Yes, I agree it seems like a pain to meet the requirements.  BUT, once you do, you won't be disappointed.  The ones at the gun shows are alot of times a CMP rifle selling for 2X as much as the guy got it from, with nothing extra into it.  I highly recommend the CMP.  Ammo is good too from them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It makes zero difference if the CMP runs out of Garands, there are zillions of Garands out there. They will always be on gunshow tables.

Overpriced and picked over too.

The only difference is that it wont be a major pain in the ass to buy them like it is from the CMP.

If you think it's a PITA to buy from the CMP, you're just lazy.  Their guidelines are easier than ever now.

R
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Once you buy from the cmp once it is alot easier from then on. Well hopefully they are available for a long time. Gunshows want way to much money for them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I was reading in the CMP Forum a while back that they had enough for a few years
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The problem is that as the years pass, the availability of certain models has declined - or they have been bumped up in price.  I got an IH several years ago from DCM just be asking - at the regular price.  These days, if you can get CMP to agree to look, you'll pay a significant premium.  Think about that fact that many years ago, Cs and Ds would sometimes be sent out same as regular rifles!  Think that will ever happen again?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pain in the ass?

1) copy of Birth Certificate (or equivalent)
2) Join the GCA for $25
3) proof of marksmanship or other firearms related activity
4) fill out order form and enclose payment
5) wait a couple of weeks
6) receive authentic non-bubbaized M1 rifle directly to your door.

This one is sometimes difficult, as most ranges in my area are very anal about letting people shoot.  In other words, I have to pay $200 or so to join, then I get the certificate.  Lots o' bullshit shooting ranges in my area.  I couldnt find one.  I got a C&R license for $30 and that will meet the qualification as well.

Edit:  I'm ordering one or two this year, I think.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Patriot,

How is it a pain in the ass to buy from CMP?  A copy of your IL FOID, a copy of your DL, join GCA for a whopping $25 a year (and geta kickass magazine to boot), fill out the form with a check, and *poof* a few weeks later a Garand shows up on your doorstep!  Seems a heck of a lot easier than most the hoops we have to jump through in IL.  

Hell, it is one of the few times the FOID actually makes life easier!

[ETA]  And I'll be damned if you can find a USGI Garand in decent condition at an IL gunshow for anywhere near the price that CMP sells them for.  I also suspect that the seller would probably not fix porblems with the rifle once money changed hands- CMP WILL fix problems if it doesn't work when you get it!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The problem is that as the years pass, the availability of certain models has declined - or they have been bumped up in price.  I got an IH several years ago from DCM just be asking - at the regular price.  These days, if you can get CMP to agree to look, you'll pay a significant premium.  Think about that fact that many years ago, Cs and Ds would sometimes be sent out same as regular rifles!  Think that will ever happen again?

This really is only an issue to collectors.  IHC, H&R, SA doesn't really matter as long as it shoots well IMHO...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This one is sometimes difficult, as most ranges in my area are very anal about letting people shoot.  In other words, I have to pay $200 or so to join, then I get the certificate.  Lots o' bullshit shooting ranges in my area.  I couldnt find one.  I got a C&R license for $30 and that will meet the qualification as well.

CCW works, now, as does virtually any training class.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pain in the ass?

1) copy of Birth Certificate (or equivalent)
2) Join the GCA for $25
4) fill out order form and enclose payment
5) wait a couple of weeks
6) receive authentic non-bubbaized M1 rifle directly to your door.

Edit:  I'm ordering one or two this year, I think.

Kingfish,
Where do you shoot?   When I was living in Bal'mer last year I used to shoot at the Hap Baker range in Carroll County.  Believe it or not, I found a sanctioned milsurp postal match that a CMP affiliated club in Nebraska was putting on and sent them the $2 registration.  They sent me a score card and a course of fire.  I went to the range, shot it with my Enfield, had the RO sign it, sent it in, and VOILA!  "proof of marksmanship activity".  I know at St Charles Sportsmans Club, we have lots of matches each month.  Show up some Sunday, pay $10 and shoot a Hi Power match and you're done.  Also, a DD214 works in lieu of "Marksmanship Activity".

R
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Too bad people like me cannot go through CMP, not that I need to for the rifles, but the ammunition woudl be really nice
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#16]
The proof of marksmanship can also be covered by military experience and law enforcement employment. I already had a C&R before I discovered the CMP and quickly joined the GCA. Mom still has my BC to copy and a notary is right around the corner. I highly recommend it and even if you just try luck of the draw through the mail you will get good rifles. Service grade is the way to go for a first rifle and then you can try some Rack or Field grade guns. The Dane rack grades, both woodless and full rifles are the best chance to get a WWII receiver. The Greek returns are all, as far as I know, post war rifles.

Read the desriptions of the different grades and don't get your expectations to high if you order a rack grade. Some people have received very nice rack grades but I suspect that is a small percentage especially since they changed the grading system.

Enjoy your Garands, I know I sure do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The following qualify as "Marksmanship-related Activity":

- Current or past military service.
- Current or past law enforcement service
- Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
- Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
- Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
- Concealed Carry License.
- Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
- FFL or C&R license.
- Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
- Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf
- No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60.  proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Ok, help a thick brained guy here.
If I have the following, do I HAVE to belong to a shooting club?
Finding a sponsor, paying a FAT member fee and attending meetings etc. just doesnt work for me.

DD214
VA CHP
VADL copy or Birth Cert copy

If I join GCA, since they no longer (from thier wierd site info, I gather)
issue membership cards, how do I prove membership?

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Finding a sponsor, paying a FAT member fee and attending meetings etc. just doesnt work for me.

DD214
VA CHP

DaddyDett

GCA's membership is tied in via "internet" with the CMP.  About a week or two after you join GCA, you'll be on the CMP's file.  After that, you're all set!

Rich
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not sure when the CMP will run out of Garands, but never fear, there will always be Garands. Believe me, as long as there is a demand, someone will make them if there is money to be made.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, but I don't want one made for my demand, I want one, or two or three, more that has been there and done that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

DD214
VA CHP

DaddyDett

Since you're in VA you can always join the VCDL.  They're affiliated too and a great group to belong to in any case.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DD214
VA CHP

DaddyDett

Since you're in VA you can always join the VCDL.  They're affiliated too and a great group to belong to in any case.

Agreed.  Just received my renewal card last week!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#25]
NTM the cheapest Garand I've found outside the CMP is 8 bills
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It makes zero difference if the CMP runs out of Garands, there are zillions of Garands out there. They will always be on gunshow tables.

Overpriced and picked over too.

The only difference is that it wont be a major pain in the ass to buy them like it is from the CMP.

If you think it's a PITA to buy from the CMP, you're just lazy.  Their guidelines are easier than ever now.

R

I am a general contractor. I work about 60-70 hours a week, with my body, in the elements. Far from lazy. You do what?
Gunshows are overpriced, no doubt.

My point was, Garands will always be around, there are millions of them.

I have several so I don't care. Plus, I make enough money where I can go but those over priced, over picked gunshow Garands.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patriot,

How is it a pain in the ass to buy from CMP?  A copy of your IL FOID, a copy of your DL, join GCA for a whopping $25 a year (and geta kickass magazine to boot), fill out the form with a check, and *poof* a few weeks later a Garand shows up on your doorstep!  Seems a heck of a lot easier than most the hoops we have to jump through in IL.  

[ETA]  And I'll be damned if you can find a USGI Garand in decent condition at an IL gunshow for anywhere near the price that CMP sells them for.  I also suspect that the seller would probably not fix porblems with the rifle once money changed hands- CMP WILL fix problems if it doesn't work when you get it!

I work alot, for me it's a pain in the ass.

Considering it's a Garand, and a specialty rifle (so-to speak) perhaps I don't have to get some old man at a rifle range to sign my hall pass stating I know how to shoot a rifle I have been shooting my whole life. I don't understand why they can't be purchased like any other long gun, shipped to an FFL with no fuss-no muss.

If you are wandering around a gunshow and dont know anyone, you are going to pay alot. I purchase Garands and '03's from a fellow gun show dealer and get them cheap all day long.

I have nothing againt the CMP, except they are archaic and really don't understand how busy the people who actually have the money to but their rifles are.

Eventually the CMP will go away. So will gunshows, they have become a sad state of affairs. The internet has essentialy destroyed the gunshow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey Patriot73  ,  It's not about how much you pay for a Garand , and the CMP rules are in place
so that ANYONE who meets some simple requirements can purchase an M1 at a reasonable
price.

Most people who buy through the CMP want to preserve a piece of HISTORY ,
and don't mind putting a little effort into it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patriot,

Good for you.  Bravo.  If you actually tried it, you'd find it's damn easy to buy from the CMP.

Considering it's a Garand, and a specialty rifle (so-to speak)

And what is a "regular" or non-"specialty" rifle?

perhaps I don't have to get some old man at a rifle range to sign my hall pass stating I know how to shoot a rifle I have been shooting my whole life.

If you read Dawg's post, you'd see that you don't need that.  You already have your IL FOID.  Did you bitch and tell the authorities "I know how to shoot a ____ I've been shooting my whole life" when you applied for that as well?  I mean that's a much more official "hall pass".

I don't understand why they can't be purchased like any other long gun, shipped to an FFL with no fuss-no muss.

Filling out an application and mailing it in and getting the rifle delivered to you door sounds a heck of a lot easier than doing an FFL transfer and going to the gunshop and filling out all the paperwork.

I have nothing againt the CMP, except they are archaic and really don't understand how busy the people who actually have the money to but their rifles are.

They're doing just fine without the people that are "too busy".  How are they archaic?  They're able to sponsor many matches, sell a tremendous amount of rifles, AND deliver them to your DOOR.  Seems like the traditional FFL dealer is "archaic" not the CMP.   Look, the guy came here asking a legitimate question, and you start saying it's such a pain in the ass to buy from the CMP, when in reality, it's easier than ever.

r

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patriot,

Good for you.  Bravo.  If you actually tried it, you'd find it's damn easy to buy from the CMP.

Considering it's a Garand, and a specialty rifle (so-to speak)

And what is a "regular" or non-"specialty" rifle?

perhaps I don't have to get some old man at a rifle range to sign my hall pass stating I know how to shoot a rifle I have been shooting my whole life.

If you read Dawg's post, you'd see that you don't need that.  You already have your IL FOID.  Did you bitch and tell the authorities "I know how to shoot a ____ I've been shooting my whole life" when you applied for that as well?  I mean that's a much more official "hall pass".

I don't understand why they can't be purchased like any other long gun, shipped to an FFL with no fuss-no muss.

Filling out an application and mailing it in and getting the rifle delivered to you door sounds a heck of a lot easier than doing an FFL transfer and going to the gunshop and filling out all the paperwork.

They're doing just fine without the people that are "too busy".  How are they archaic?  They're able to sponsor many matches, sell a tremendous amount of rifles, AND deliver them to your DOOR.  Seems like the traditional FFL dealer is "archaic" not the CMP.   Look, the guy came here asking a legitimate question, and you start saying it's such a pain in the ass to buy from the CMP, when in reality, it's easier than ever.

r

Well put, fwiw, I've never seen this guy post something positive.  Now, I have not read all his posts but from what I seen, he likes to complain.  Why, I don't know, I think maybe it's part of his contractor personna.  But I shouldn't be casting stones, I'm sure I've ruffled a feather or two now and then.  But I do think the CMP is great.  We have had good experiences and are continuing to.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#31]
If you are a member of the VFW or American Legion that and your DD214 will do it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If you are a member of the VFW or American Legion that and your DD214 will do it.

Last I heard, just your DD214 worked.  'Course the other things are just icing on the cake.

R
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#33]
What I was trying to say was that the VFW and American Legion are considered affilated clubs by CMP so if you are a member you don't even have to join a shooting club.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#34]
i posted a question if we will see any more HRA garands garands in the future at cmp's forum and orest michaels(cmp's head honcho) himself replied that they have around 600 more to be graded. he didnt know how long it would take for them to get to the grading/repair work. he said most will grade out to be field and rack grades. IMO 600 hra's aren't really that many, better keep your eyes peeled for those to hit, i know im gonna be on the lookout.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Judging from the last newsletter saying how parts supplies are exhausted and that the prices are jumping again...I'd say you better get your paperwork together now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:20:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Not only does the CMP have great prices,  great service,  and IMHO the easiest way to purchase a rifle we have available,  the money they make goes to promote shooting sports with an emphasis on the youth.  That does it for me,  but I don't really know anything I've only bought 7 rifles from them and been more than impressed with everything they have sent me.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Hey Patriot73  ,  It's not about how much you pay for a Garand , and the CMP rules are in place
so that ANYONE who meets some simple requirements can purchase an M1 at a reasonable
price.

Most people who buy through the CMP want to preserve a piece of HISTORY ,
and don't mind putting a little effort into it.

Or they buy one and turn around & sell it for a profit
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Judging from the last newsletter saying how parts supplies are exhausted and that the prices are jumping again...I'd say you better get your paperwork together now.

Yeah, and that's the only thing that bothers me. Like stated earlier, the Garand will always be around, but what about the CMP? Once the Garands and Garand parts are gone, will they close up shop and fade off the scene, or will they transform into something else?
Has anyone at the CMP commented on their future?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Selling Garands is just a side job for the CMP. Orest has stated that if they ever run out of rifles to sell they will find other sources of funding to continue their primary mission:

The CMP Mission:  To promote firearm safety and marksmanship training with an emphasis on youth.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#40]

The CMP Mission:  To promote firearm safety and marksmanship training with an emphasis on youth.

Worth repeating.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top