Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 5:35:05 PM EDT
I see the Tiawan mags are about $17ish and the USGI are running $25 from armalite.   Are the USGI mags worth the extra $8 each?    I dont yet own a M1A/M14 but plan to and would like to buy about 10 good mags to keep on hand.    I could use the extra $80 in price difference (on 10)to buy more mags.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with the Tiawan mags and all have worked great. I have 4 usgi and consider them to be of equal quality although others may argue with me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, the Taiwanese stuff is made on the same US tooling that the original USGI stuff were made. We donated it to them in the 60s, after we'd moved on to the AR platform.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:54:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I asked the same question a few days ago,
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=187886
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:20:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got about a dozen USGI mags and about two dozen Taiwanese jobbies. They all appear to fit and function exactly the same. However, upon close inspection you can see that they aren't "exactly" alike.

Close, but not identical.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
FWIW, the Taiwanese stuff is made on the same US tooling that the original USGI stuff were made. We donated it to them in the 60s, after we'd moved on to the AR platform.

False -

An excerpt from Different's (Lee Emerson) book "M14 Rifle History and Development"

"The Taiwanese government did not receive the tooling to make flash suppressors and magazines when it received the H&R production machinery. Thus, the Taiwanese government had to make the tooling to manufacture these parts to continue production. "
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
All I know is this.
When mags become illegal or scarce again, you will be sorry you even asked.
The GI mag is the real McCoy, and 8 bucks is NOT a big enough margin to justify Taiwanese stuff.
6 GI mags will kick 12 Taiwanese mags into the dirt for longevity and function. Just make sure the used GI mags are sound.
I stockpiled in a mad panic years ago, and just for futures sake, use the same 3 mags over and over.
AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND.......................................................................................
Need I say more?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All I know is this.
When mags become illegal or scarce again, you will be sorry you even asked.
The GI mag is the real McCoy, and 8 bucks is NOT a big enough margin to justify Taiwanese stuff.
6 GI mags will kick 12 Taiwanese mags into the dirt for longevity and function. Just make sure the used GI mags are sound.
I stockpiled in a mad panic years ago, and just for futures sake, use the same 3 mags over and over.
AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND.......................................................................................
Need I say more?

+1, When I bought my M1-A in 1980 I also bought 12 NIW GI M14 mags for 5 bucks each. Wish I would of bought more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought seven of them from midway a while back when they were on sale and all function flawlessly...if you dont mind surface rust.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:27:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

False -

An excerpt from Different's (Lee Emerson) book "M14 Rifle History and Development"

"The Taiwanese government did not receive the tooling to make flash suppressors and magazines when it received the H&R production machinery. Thus, the Taiwanese government had to make the tooling to manufacture these parts to continue production."

Ahhhh. I did not know that. All the suppliers I've seen have advertised these mags as being manufactured on "US" machinery that was sold to Taiwan.

Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]

I have a few Tiwanese, and they work great in my SA receivered rifle.  They won't lock in place on my two Armscorp receivered rifles.  I'm not sure where the interference is, but I just reserve them for the SA and use GI mags in the Armscorps.  Anyone else had this problem?

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Two of the five that I bought would not allow the bolt to be retracted nor would they feed rounds from the left side. The other three work properly.

I have 5 USGI and 2 Chinese mags. They work perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Two of the five that I bought would not allow the bolt to be retracted nor would they feed rounds from the left side. The other three work properly.

I have 5 USGI and 2 Chinese mags. They work perfectly.

I have 21 USGI and 0 Chinese.  They work perfectly...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]
From personal experience, my Type 57s work just like the USGIs I bought from Armalite.

USGIs from Armalite have a better finish however.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 USGI and probably 50 Taiwanese mags.

Everything I've seen on them is rock solid. They compare favorably to USGI in everything including longevity. I don't remember where but I've read that the hardness on the Taiwanese mags is very comparable to USGI. IF all things are equal or nearly so... Go for the one that costs less. (I would buy USGI if that's what worked - I only have USGI for my ARs for example)

Anyone saying you MUST buy USGI M14 mags is just trying to make themselves feel better for spending a ton of cash on their GI mags. And that's fine- they cost more. I accept that. I have some and my dad has a lot more. But don't say they're auto-magically better, that's false.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top