Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 9:46:02 AM EDT
Anyone have a write-up on how to install an EBR from sight from Smith Enterprises? I'm a noob to the M1A, and I don't want to screw it up. I like to do as much work as I can to my rifles, without needing a 'smith, it helps me learn them better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Use the gas nut wrench to remove the FS, the gas plug nut, then unscrews the gas lock off the barrel.

When you go to put the new gas cyclinder combo sight back on the rifle, order a SS gas cylinder shim kit since any movement in the gas cyclinder is going to transfer into the front sight index (read tighten the gas cylinder).

Now the next question, what are you going to do to the old front sight dove tail on the FS (read you really need to grind it off or change out the FS to a non sighted unit).

P.S. unless your running a 16 barrel, you are going to lose a lot of sight plain focal distances (distance between the sights), so in regards to using this type of sight on a 22" barrel, it may not be the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Use the gas nut wrench to remove the FS, the gas plug nut, then unscrews the gas lock off the barrel.

When you go to put the new gas cyclinder combo sight back on the rifle, order a SS gas cylinder shim kit since any movement in the gas cyclinder is going to transfer into the front sight index (read tighten the gas cylinder).

Now the next question, what are you going to do to the old front sight dove tail on the FS (read you really need to grind it off or change out the FS to a non sighted unit).

P.S. unless your running a 16 barrel, you are going to lose a lot of sight plain focal distances (distance between the sights), so in regards to using this type of sight on a 22" barrel, it may not be the way to go.

=================

Testing at SEI has revealed tht any loss in accuracy with a GLFS on a 22" bbl is statiscially nill.  Furthermore, the reason for the GLFS on the 22" barrel is to fcilitate the use of the Vortex DC and the DC sound suppressor.  For civilians, however, this feature may be moot.  Where the GLFS really shines for civilans is on 18" bbls. FWIW, I have a GLFS-H (Hooded) on my M14SE 2ID clone and love it.  1" groups with irons are no problem....even for these 54 year old eyes.    

If you have a question on installation, call the factory: 480 964-1818.

Enjoy.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, it arrived, and it's installed. Not as difficult as I expected.

I did notice the rifle started short-stroking at the range during test-fire. Come to find out the gas plug worked itself loose. (Troubleshooting is an excellent skill to learn.) I thought I had tightened it fairly well after the EBR sight installation.

Even if I thought it was all the way tight, and it still managed to work itself loose, does this call for a shim kit for the EBR/gas lock? I'm guessing it's maybe not quite as snug against the gas cylinder as it should be. The installation was very, very easy. I ordered a gas lock wrench, and only needed it for the removal of the stock lock. The EBR did not require the wrench for it to line up correctly. Could this be a problem?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The shim kit is used between the cylinder and the barrel shoulder.  This shimming just tightens up the cylinder on the barrel to keep it from moving (read destroying barrel harmonics), and to keep the now lock/front sight from moving around on the barrel.
Read: Shim the cylinder forward on the barrel to have the lock/sight go hand tight at the 3 o’clock position, then use the lock wrench to take it to the 6.  

As for the gas plug, the torque spec for the gas plug is 15 lbs, but the AMU guys are tightening there’s to 21 LBS (cold). Just remember to back up the lock when you tighten the plug so you don't transfer torque threw the cylinder on the barrel.

Mach 6, the sight plain focal distances is what I was referring to, and not the effects of the items added to the barrels.  Simple put, the father the front sight is to the rear sight, the greater you will see your deviations in your POA.  If the unit is going to get optics, then the iron sight plain is just moot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Where the GLFS really shines for civilans is on 18" bbls.

Please explain why --  Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top