Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 6:03:29 PM EDT
The ammo will be used for both plinking and SHTF stockpiling since I believe in “train like you fight”.

The ammo needs to be:

Reliable.
Accurate.
Available in decent quantities.
Decently priced.

Hence my problem.

The current choices I've found are:

1: Surplus Federal M80 marked "for training purposes only".

2: Loose packed surplus Lake City M80.

3: South African Battlepack ammo.

However, each of these have their own problem, the Federal is surplused marked for training only, this means there was something wrong with it, so the army decided it wasn't "battle worthy" [and therefore, probably not good for SHTF]. The loose packed isn't going to be any better, it was surplused for some reason, and worse yet  its a random mix of lots. The South African stuff is great in all other regards, but isn't all that accurate... like only a half as accurate as a good lot of Lake City ammo.

Frankly, I don't like any of the choices, but that's how to M80 ball bounces.

Any other ammo options ya'll know of? If not, which of these should I go with?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had great luck with Argentine ammo...  Not as loudly supported as the others, but it's decently clean, accurate and cheap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've had great luck with Argentine ammo...  Not as loudly supported as the others, but it's decently clean, accurate and cheap.

I've heard that Argentine and Portuguese ammo get good reports, but I can’t seem to find any decent amounts currently for sale.... I've seen it before, but it all seems to be gone right now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The SA has been reliable for me but as you say not very accurate. Runs 3-5 MOA or worse in my Poly, where Aussie will stay under 2 MOA.

I'd be tempted to try some of the M80 given those choices.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Dunhams has the linked Portugese 7.62 (well they do in my area).  Good stuff.  I picked up 800 rounds last Sunday.

My M1A likes that and the South African.

Most of the mil-surp  7.62 is good.

The only stuff I here to avoid is the Indian 7.62.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Ammunitionstore had it on special this week for 119/1000 before shipping this week.  I've got an "extra" 5K rounds if you'd be interested in some of it ;)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ammunitionstore had it on special this week for 119/1000 before shipping this week.  I've got an "extra" 5K rounds if you'd be interested in some of it ;)

Ammunitionstore.com lists M60 linked Portuguese ammo for $179.95/1000

Not really that interested in linked ammo .

However, ammoman lists 1981 Argen M80 ammo still in its original boxes for $189 per K, shipping included.

Sounds like the best thing I've come across so far.

I may get a fair amount of that Argen and a little South African to play with, see what I think of each. I think I'll be happy with the Arg, but I'd rather go with the SA if it wasn't for the fact it hasn't been that accurate before.

I'll probably restart this poll with the Argentine ammo option tossed in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
www.southernammo.com Surplus bulk mixed headstamped $109.00 per 1,000
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:36:35 AM EDT
[#8]

I've had good luck with SA.  The linked PORT may also be an option...if you don't mind delinking.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#9]

For shorter range shooting, just plain "blastin' blammo', I go with the SA R1

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Portugese.  My fulton loves it.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
PORT
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never had one problem with SA ammo, either in 5.56 or .308. Seems accurate enough in my FAL or Garand. 21 bucks +shipping per 140 ain't too bad. I just buy the cases of 960 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#13]
1: Aussie
2: SA
3: M80
4: Portuguese
100: Argentine

That stuff is terrible in my guns. Inaccurate, too. YMMV as always.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard that Argentine and Portuguese ammo get good reports, but I can’t seem to find any decent amounts currently for sale.... I've seen it before, but it all seems to be gone right now.

ammoman.com/webstore_308.htm

I put a little over 500 rounds through my BM-59 Mark IV on Saturday, most in full auto, but I also fired a couple of mags semi-auto at the 600 yard plate [12"x12"] in the same gun. Was able to hit the plate or very near it with almost every shot. Didn't even bother to open up the crate of Aussie I had brought along.

That being said, one of the guys with an FAL couldn't get it to run in his gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What guns you running it in?  It seems fine for general blasting in my LRB m14's, not too inaccurate and relatively clean.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Gibrass. com for the brass and 4895 powder (pound of powder reloads 150’ish rounds),
Golden West bullets for the 168 FMJBT tips,
Rifle primers of your own flavor, and get to it.

With the price of surplus ammo hitting over the $150 mark per 1K (read no longer cheaper than reloading), you may as reload to reap the benefits of tailored to the rifle loads.  If you do need to store the ammo, then either vacuum pack it, or just invest in a few ammo cans and seal the lips.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:07:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What guns you running it in?  It seems fine for general blasting in my LRB m14's, not too inaccurate and relatively clean.

An M1A loaded standard and a Scout/Squad. Both SA.

Off the bench - sandbagged - the best I could get at 50 yards was a 4-5" group.  

So in my guns, the safest place to be when shooting Argentine ammo is in front of the gun.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:16:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Out of the choices given I picked South African.  My first choice would be Aussie but the supply has pretty well dried up.  Next choice would be Port.  The Lake City stuff is pricey for seconds IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top