Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 3:08:46 PM EDT
While cleaning my carbine stuff today I noticed rust on several magazines. I sprayed Kano Aero Kroil on them for now, just to hold off the rust until I can find out what to do about this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'd hate to have to refinish the whole mags because most of them are WWII issue that I've had for years. The rust is in small spots, nothing major, but it must be stopped!

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
All I did was take some hoppe's copper solvent and fine steel wool.  The rust however, took the blue off mine. I use a light coat of clp after cleaning.   I don't care how they look though.  As long as they work good.  I love shooting a gun that was made back in 1943!!!!   And it runs real good after I rebuilt the bolt and put a new recoil spring in and a some grease on the action.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
All I did was take some hoppe's copper solvent and fine steel wool.  The rust however, took the blue off mine. I use a light coat of clp after cleaning.   I don't care how they look though.  As long as they work good.  I love shooting a gun that was made back in 1943!!!!   And it runs real good after I rebuilt the bolt and put a new recoil spring in and a some grease on the action.

Thanks! Ain't they the greatest little rifle? Mine's a 1943 too, Buffalo Arms barrel. I've had it since 1970 when I paid $100.00 for it, it's all GI and I shoot the daylights out of it too.

Thanks again for the tip.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
before you try the steel wool, which will remove any finish, try a brass or bronze brush, it will scrub the rust off and when you wipe it off, the majority of your finish will be there,

works really well for "freckling" rust spots
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
before you try the steel wool, which will remove any finish, try a brass or bronze brush, it will scrub the rust off and when you wipe it off, the majority of your finish will be there,

works really well for "freckling" rust spots

Thanks, I'll try that too!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you do not get any Kroil inside of the magazine, and make sure you clean all of the Kroil off of it.

Kroil will ruin your ammo
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:10:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Make sure you do not get any Kroil inside of the magazine, and make sure you clean all of the Kroil off of it.

Kroil will ruin your ammo

YIKES!!! I don't think I did get it on any but may have gotten some overspray on thr top rounds. It's the good $$$$ Remington RN SP ammo too (for home defense).

What does it do, creep into the shell case? Then cause it to not fire?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top