Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 6:01:56 PM EDT
At any range? I have only shot my M1 at 25 and I managed to hit the bulls eye 47/48 times....not bad for my first time shooting solo . I'm going to go to the range tommorow and get some time in.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
VAR barrel on a SA 1943 rifle. SUB MOA 1.75in @ 200 off the bench.

Damn I love this gun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Groups with Garands can range anywhere from tack drivers to shotgun patterns.  Anything under three inches at 100 yards is pretty good.  Do not expect MOA type accuracy.   Gun just wasn't built for that.  It can be done but be prepared to spend serious coin getting it there.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Groups with Garands can range anywhere from tack drivers to shotgun patterns.  Anything under three inches at 100 yards is pretty good.  Do not expect MOA type accuracy.   Gun just wasn't built for that.  It can be done but be prepared to spend serious coin getting it there.

Guess that all the guys at Camp Perry and such are wasting there time huh?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I wouldnt say wasting their time, but look at the winning score at this years Garand match, being that the whole match is shot at 200yds even the top shooter droped 7-8points. M1s were not made to shoot sub MOA, its a BATTLE RIFLE. Most service grades ive gotten from the CMP shoot about a 3"-4" group at 100yds.
just my $0.02
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:36:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just because he said they don't normally shoot sub moa doesn't mean you can't compete with them.  And which guys at perry are you referring to??  If you're referring to Garand Match shooters, they have to use m2 ball, which doesn't necessarily always produce super tight groups and they have to use an as issued gun, no bedding, the correct kind of barrel, etc. etc.  Yet they still compete.  But they don't normally shoot sub moa.  As far as normal hipower, if someone uses a Garand, they can trick it out more and accurize it, and then it could be a sub moa shooter.  Some say the platform is actually a little better than the M14.  I don't know, but his comment was pretty on if you ask me.  

From my limited testing, Mine is approximately a 4 MOA shooter or a hair better with M2 ball.  Mine is also unchanged from the cmp.  Just cleaned and TLC.  I could see how it could get more accurate if I had someone tighten up the gas cylinder and possibly some other fixes.  I did get a 1-3/8" group with it at 100, but that's my best and I almost crapped my pants when I did it.  I did this prone with a rest of course.  I'm not that good.

Here's a couple of other groups I shot that day.

Sounds like yours should be good.  Let her rip and post back!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
First time shooting my dads M1 with handloads I was getting 1-2in. groups of 5 at 100yd. and right on bullseye. Hornady 165 grain bullets, and I believe 48.5 grains of...ah I don't remember the powder.

We tried some remington ammo we were shooting out of our Remington 700 and the groups weren't as tight.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Referring a M1 to "to shotgun patterns" is stretching it a bit in my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top