Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 8:59:42 AM EDT
I plan on mounting a Harris bipod stud by using the plastic drain hole on the synthetic stock, but Harris has a couple of different models of adapter.  I *think* the #2 will work (flat rectangular mounting plate), but there is also a #2A (circular mounting plate)and #2R (radiused rectangular mounting plate).

Can anyone tell me what they have used?

Thanks,

dawg
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to modify the #5 adapter by cutting the tabs down. I also mount the stud behind the front sling loop after in lettin the stock some then lay Kevlar over the top of the stud to reinforce the complete forearm.

The drain hole area is extremely thin and there is a better than average chance you will crack the stock in time, many have already found this out.

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I used the rectangular #2 but cut down the sides to make it smaller.  There was a decent amount of dremeling to get it to fit flush.  I also reinforced it the best I could after to thicken up the stock at the drainhole.  It seems to have worked so far and if it ever does crack, stocks are really cheap.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Send it to SA.  They will do the job for about $25 and they won't screw it up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the #2, and I'll just do some experimenting with the best way to mount it.  Most likely I'll use some epoxy and/or stuff like kevlar to strengthen the forend of the stock when I install it.

Heck, the stock is already painted camo, has the F/A cutout filled with epoxy just to learn how to,  and is my "experiment" stock.  Maybe I'll use it for my first bedding job while I am at it, in addition to installing the stud.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#5]
How I mounted my Harris bi-pod on M14 GI synthetic stock.....

When I was refinishing my GI fiberglass stock, I removed the front sling swivel by drilling out the rivets. I slighltly enlarged the aft rivet hole so the bolt for the bi-pod would fit. This area of the stock is already re-enforced so it is a better choice than the drain hole.

Next I  got one of those flat nut plate things (can't remember the proper name) that are threaded for a bolt. They have the prongs that are stamped out and turned down so you can use them in wood working projects. These fit the Harris bi-pod bolt that screws into the AR15 bi-pod adapter.

I trimmed the "nut plate" with my dremel tool so it would fit in the recessed area around where the sling swivel rivet had been. I trimed it in such a manner that it was no longer round so it would not rotate when un-screwing the bolt.

After making sure everything fit correctly, I bedded the "nut plate" into the stock with some JB Weld. It was then painted over during the stock refinish.

I now attach my sling to the "cross bar" (?) on the back of the bi-pod assembly. It all seems to work together very well so far.

Good luck,

Flyer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top