Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 1:15:06 PM EDT
Guys

I want to refinish my CMP garands.  They are greek returns so they are not collectable but I want to refinish them so they look new.  Any links and or advice?  I want to redo the stock as well.

Thanks in advance.

Max
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some ideas, that would say use acetone to clean it up then use 600 Behr Tung oil to refinish it. But I really would suggest another board for this subject ( Parallax in C&R stock cleaning)
Joe
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
There are about as many opinions of the best way to do this as there are opinions on Redheads, Brunettes or Blondes and which is smarter or easier to......well you know

Anyhow here is a good link.

www.m-14forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14481

Myself, I degrease and soak stocks in hot water and Zep Purple  Degreaser. access wood and stream dinges/dents with a stram iron a damp clothe. Repeat soaking and steaming until you get as far as you can then let the stock dry comletely for a couple of days.

Sand with 100 grit working you way down to 220 Wet/Dry (dry) then stain  with Minwax of you choice.

Let dry completely and if more color is needed stain again and let dry completely.

I apply 1 coat of Minwax Tung Oil Finish and let it dry about 15 minutes and buff off, reapply let dry and buff off and leave over night.

0000 Steel wool the stock the next day and re apply Tung Oil and buff off not letting each coat dry before buffing for about 20 coats (buff off with a clean, lint free rag).

I also mix a bunch of stuff together and apply 2 times a year. let it dry and buff it off to keep a nice rich low luster shine.

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Karsten

I have had the Garand for a while and I have yet to even clean it.  I'll post pics when I am done.

This is why I love this site.

Max
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have not used him yet, but others I have talked to say he is the best for re-parking a Garand.

www.dgrguns.com/0-main-page-services.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top