Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 2:20:41 PM EDT
I recently got my first M1A (M14SA), an LRB Government model, and am Extremely Pleased with the rifle.  I have been seduced by its wood and steel and my ARs have to fight for my affection now.

Well, in the FM that LRB sends with the rifle, I saw pictures of the M14E2 and want one configured like that now.

I'm thinking of buying a barreled receiver from LRB with all the incidental parts, buying the major parts to finish it and then putting it all together for my first M1A "project".  Does this sound reasonable?

Also, I was looking on Fred's page at his M14E2 stocks and am curious about them.  Are his prices good?  I was looking to order the As-New stock for $325, but am wondering, how is the condition?  Would it need to be refinished, etc?  I feel leery dropping that much cash for a stock.  I'll prolly get it anyway, as I want one.

Also, what about the trigger groups?  I saw he sold those as well, but he said you need a professional to check how the trigger group interfaces with the receiver.  Is that really necessary?  I live where there is NO gunsmith for a lot of miles and I need to know what to look for or if it'll just drop in.

Also, I've seen that Fulton sells the Stabilizers, but I can't find a source on the M2 Bipods and special M14E2 slings.  Does anyone know where to get those parts?

Thanks.  I really love the M1A (M14SA).
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrates on the new rifle, sound nice.

As for the stock from Fred's, it has been my experence over the past number of year As New means a very nice stock and the condition should pleasantly surprise you.

I have been buying dozens of As New USGI Synthetics from him for the last two years and quite a few haven't ever had a recieved fitted in them.

As for the trigger group look up Warbird at

users3.ev1.net/~hd80/Warbird.HTM

Good luck

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
In Living Color!

This is my NFA Registered select fire Springfield Armroy, Inc. M1A in M14A1 (aka M14E2) configuration.  The USGI M14E2 birch stock is from Fred's of Shotgun News.  Fred's is the only known supplier of M14E2 stocks.  I bought the USGI M14E2 stabilizer and USGI M2 bipod from private parties.  www.e-gunparts.com sells Taiwan made high quality M2 bipods.  I'm not kidding.  I've got 3000 rounds through my Taiwan made M2 bipod and it is doing just fine.  AFAIK, the M14E2 stabilizer sold by Fulton Armory is a commercial reproduction model but it is high quality.  For M14E2 slings, go to www.billricca.com  Tell Bill that Different sent you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the LRB Club!!!!  

NOw get some pics up please
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The rifle I have is an LRB with 100% H&R parts, (except the barrel of course), even down to the rear sight knobs.  I know everyone says TRW is the "best" when it comes to parts, but I like having a "matching" rifle.  GI parts are still better than commercial though, no matter WHO made them.

Some pics (I have since replaced the neutered F/S with a USGI F/S reamed to NM specs):

I know the stock needs to be refinished, that's the immediate project.  It has some nice tigerstripe in it.

Cartouche detail

Receiver detail

Detail pic of the Sparrowhawk fake selector kit.  REALLY completes the look.  I showed it to a guy who refused to touch it because he thought I had an illegal FA conversion on it until I explained it to him!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
PS:

I ordered the stock from Fred's.  Even if I don't build it, the stock is a collector's item, I guess.

Dammit, wanted to edit instead of a new post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top