Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 12:45:39 PM EDT
Got my first Garand today, a Winchester manufactured in October 1942. Barrel is 1951 SA--also has a Winchester bolt and a SA trigger group and op rod. Kind of dirty and some surface rust when I got it, but cleaned up pretty nice. The barrel looks a bit shot out--MW is about 2.5 and it has some pitting in the bore--TE measures 9 with my TE gauge, but it's a .308 gauge and I don't think they can accurately measure 30.06 (can they?). I'll probably replace it with a .308 barrel (I know, sacrilege!).

Here it is with its little brothers (Ithaca 1911A1 and IBM Carbine):

The stock has some nice tiger striping and no dents at all. But it doesn't have any stamps of any kind. I can't tell if it's USGI or aftermarket. Anyone have any idea if they made USGI stocks with no proof marks?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it might be a birch stock. Look for the "P" on the grip.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#2]
congrats nice rifle!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Avoid doing anything to it just yet.  Winchesters command a premium in the collector's market.  You might be surprised what that thing may be worth to someone.

Most likely a post war replacement stock.  Obviously been thru rebuild, likely more than once given the vintage.  Lack of cartouches is not all that unusual.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#4]
SWEET!!

I wouldn't do a thing to it....

Ameshawki is right. Those Winchesters had quality problems during production apparently...but these Winchester fans out there don't care. They'll pay way more for a Winnie than an H&R or SA anyday...

Congrats Saguaro!!! Shoot the heck out of it ! !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top