Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 7:12:03 PM EDT
Bought a Winchester M14 barrel on Gunbroker and received it today. I've never seen a Winchester M14 barrel stamp--can someone verify that this is indeed Winchester? Not sure what else it could possible be, but just want to make sure.

Finish is good and muzzle wear is less than 1. But not sure how to measure throat erosion. Do you measure from where the chamber begins? Or the threads? If the chamber, then it measures 2. If the threads, it measures 4. Either way, not nearly as tight as my H&R. Also seem to see a bit of rust on the rifling near the muzzle. Not bad, but noticeable.

What do you all think--keeper or returner? I should say that I got it for what I consider to be a good price. I might use it for a Winchester/LRB build, or I may just go with my H&R barrel.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It has the DOD acceptance stamp but winchester barrels were usually marcked with the company's logo.    You measure the muzzle wear if the barrel is installed you would look at it from the top of the reciever and take the reading that way.    Anyway the barrel should have some other markings on it (like the cage cade) and that is usually where the makers markings are.  Could you take more pics?  Also you may want to pm member different as he is most knowledgeable on the subject of M14's
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The Winchester marking will be forward of the chamber along with the date, heat lot code and the drawing number 7790190.  It's used at a TE of 4.  The reading is taken where it sits on the gauge at the very rear end of the barrel.  MW at 1 is good so I'd consider it a shooter IMHO.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The Winchester marking will be forward of the chamber along with the date, heat lot code and the drawing number 7790190.  It's used at a TE of 4.  The reading is taken where it sits on the gauge at the very rear end of the barrel.  MW at 1 is good so I'd consider it a shooter IMHO.  

Thanks Different and mlm1219. I didn't look closely enough--Winchester script is on it, as is the date (Feb 61) and code. Just very lightly stamped and hard to see in my cave of an apartment. I was hoping for a better TE, but oh well. I think I'll keep it anyways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top