Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 6:55:22 AM EDT

Here it is after removing all of the cosmoline and stripping the stock. I really hate cosmoline. Only problem was that I broke the tip of the firing pin while stripping the bolt, still can't figure out how. I have to buy a new firing pin before I can shoot.

A closer picture showing the stock. I used the method described on Different's web-site for refinishing an M14 stock. I had to Easy-Off it twice and it still didn't look right to me. At this point I was thinking of just buying a new stock. But kept working at it anyway.

And here it is all cleaned up with the refinished stock. I used the cocoa brown RIT dye and denatured alcohol to stain the stock and then tung oil. I'm pretty pleased with the results. The top hand-guard is still a little lighter than the rest of the stock but I'm gonna keep it this way for now. I just want to get out in the field and see how she shoots.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#1]
She looks good!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
SWEET ! !

I bet you're excited..

CMP has done right by A LOT of folks.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
So what make, grade, etc?

Rich
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So what make, grade, etc?

Rich

It's a SA Greek service grade. SA barrel dated '54, SA Op-rod, hammer, trigger housing, HRA bolt and  elevation knog, and a IHC windage knob.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Great end result Vinnie. Good job.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:00:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice rifle.  I have yet to do any work on mine.  

Max
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:28:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I've thought about the oven cleaner thing, even bought the neutralize for afterwards. I'm just scared to do it (and haven't had the time to do it right).  I've just been shooting them both whenever I've had time to spare. Sounds like a post hunting season project.

I like the idea of adding in the dye.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks great!

I'm waiting for winter to do a restore job on my Greek H&R Service grade (Pacific Northwet winters mean a lot of garage time).  All I've done so far is clean it up, apply a little barbeque black to the gas tube, a little furniture oil to the stock and shoot the piss out of it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top