Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 6:05:27 PM EDT
I am about to replace my M14 stock with an new walnut stock from boyd.  On the front sling swivel.  it is rivet ed to the stock.  How do you fix it to the new stock?  I was going to use machine screws with an flat washer, then an locking washer, then the nut or just an flat washer and an nylon lock nut.

What have you used?

Bob the Nailer
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You can get Allen Wrench/Cap screws at better hardwares stores in the small drawer selection. They should also have the nuts and washers as well. Then some red Loctite and you should be good to go.

Sorry I don't have any pictures but I imagine someone does.

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Boyds stocks don't come with the front sling swivel?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, if you haven't already bought it, go to Fredsm14stocks.com and you can get one in excellent coniditon with all the harddware cheaper than a Boyds.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:20:03 AM EDT
[#4]
cap screws & lock nuts are the way to go, just be sure that the screws don't hit/bind the gas cyl on the inside. I deepen the counter sink on the inside of the channel and use a low profile aircraft 10-32 metal lock nut.

Also the inletting in the front of Boyds stocks suck so make sure that the no portion of gas cyl touches wood and if it does open up the stock channel till it clears.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies guys.  Now what about the stock furring at the tip of the stock. How do I get it off and put on my new one.

spec.4
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys.  Now what about the stock furring at the tip of the stock. How do I get it off and put on my new one.

spec.4

Not sure but do youe mean the Front Ferrul (U shaped metal part at the end of the forearm) If that is the part, why remove it to start with and why should you need a new one.

The one installed should be fine most likely epoxied in place.

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If the stock ferrule isn't crimped to much you can get it of with a screw driver and hammer. It is easier thought to just buy a nice new one for $ 5-8 from Fulton or Orion 7 and leave the one on your original M14 stock.

Epoxy works really well for attaching the ferrule to aftermarket stocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top